Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond guranteed room is not really a benefit...complaint

Old Jan 29, 11, 10:57 am
Original Poster

One of the reasons I decided to become HHonors Diamond member was their guaranteed room availability.

I just tried to use that benefit for the first time...for Barcelona 2 weeks from now.

They said that due to 'exceptional something or other' that benefit did not apply.

It seems that as a member that is when you would use that benefit ...when there is some 'exceptional ... something or other'

I am sure it must be somewhere in the fine print, but it seems very misleading and false advertising.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences?
Old Jan 29, 11, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
What do you mean by "Diamond guaranteed benefit"?

The Diamond guaranteed room available benefit is for a room w/i 48 hrs of arrival at PREVAILING RACK RATE. That means if the room rate is 550 euros, you will get the room AT THAT PRICE.

If you are looking for a room 2 wks from now, the benefit does not apply yet.

If you are talking about an AWARD room, there is no and has NEVER been a guarantee of a room when awards are gone. It is NOT a Diamond guaranteed benefit, never has been. Hotels can declare "extraordinary demand" to limit awards inventory.
I believe you are talking about Diamond Special Request. Sometimes a Diamond can get an award room when inventory is otherwise gone. It is ultimately up to the hotel. It is NOT a Diamond guaranteed benefit!
Old Jan 29, 11, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Did you go thru the Diamond Desk? If it can be had, they will give it to you. However, if they are sold out, where are they supposed to put you- on the couch in the lobby?
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

"Diamond Reservations Guarantee:
Reservations availability is guaranteed to Diamond Members when reservations are made before midnight hotel local time, 48 hours prior to intended arrival"

American Airlines has a similar policy Executive Platinum. They bump someone with lower status.

Is this is not available when hotels in the area are full, then it is a pointless guarantee that should be removed from their 'benefits.'
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Originally Posted by AAaLot View Post
"Diamond Reservations Guarantee:
Reservations availability is guaranteed to Diamond Members when reservations are made before midnight hotel local time, 48 hours prior to intended arrival"

American Airlines has a similar policy Executive Platinum. They bump someone with lower status.

Is this is not available when hotels in the area are full, then it is a pointless guarantee that should be removed from their 'benefits.'
You said you are trying to book 2 wks from now. Look at your OWN quote. It's 48 hrs for RACK RATE! If you are willing to pay RACK RATE, call back 48 hrs before your arrival time. You'll get the room.

As I said in my previous post, if you are trying to get an AWARD ROOM, there has NEVER been a Diamond guarantee of getting one if they are all gone. Your quote above applies only for a PAID room.
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
You said you are trying to book 2 wks from now. Look at your OWN quote. It's 48 hrs for RACK RATE! If you are willing to pay RACK RATE, call back 48 hrs before your arrival time. You'll get the room.

As I said in my previous post, if you are trying to get an AWARD ROOM, there has NEVER been a Diamond guarantee of getting one if they are all gone. Your quote above applies only for a PAID room.
Yes, I am willing to pay rack rate.

No, they said there was an something in the fine print why this benefit is not available (and will not be available) either now or 48 hours of arrival. (it does happen to be 48 hours before arrival today, not within)
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post

Actually, the benefit is BEFORE 48 hours of arrival, so 2 weeks before is fine. Plus, the Diamond Force can be used for an Award Room, IF the property is willing to grant it. I got one a few weeks ago for a room mid Feb (well before 48 hours before arival). It's not a guarantee, and it's not always cheap, but if you need a room, they will walk another guest if they need to.

And yes, there are exceptions listed on the HH webpage related to this benefit. I don't know if there is something special going on in Barcelona, but my guess would be to check that out.

Bottom line, is if they don't want your business, don't give it to them.

Last edited by RogerD408; Jan 29, 11 at 5:43 pm
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Actually, the benefit is BEFORE 48 hours of arrival, so 2 weeks before is fine. Plus, the Diamond Force can be used for an Award Room, IF the property is willing to grant it. I got one a few weeks ago for a room mid Feb (well before 48 hours before arival). It's not a guarantee, and it's not always cheap, but if you need a room, they will walk another guest if they need to.
I am not talking awards.

I am willing to pay the rate rack and it is before 48 hours as the grantee requires....they are unwilling to standby by their 'guarantee' which I was counting on.
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:50 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 13 at 1:19 pm Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I have had issues with this in the past, and I have used my Diamond force about 10 times. Try using it in Arlington, TX right now and they will say no go, the Superbowl is the exceptional event, I don't know what is going on in Spain, but it must be something big.

The 48 hours, that is the minimum amount of time, you can't use your force when within 48 hours of allowed check-in.

I used it in Istanbul last May, a convention was in town, no big deal, and I used points with it, the Diamond Desk will still do that, but the following week the Grand Prix was coming to town, I couldn't use it then, based on the exception.
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard View Post
Your copy+paste from the T&C missed the next two sentences:

"This guarantee does not, however, apply during Extraordinary Demand Dates. The term "Extraordinary Demand Dates" are dates determined by the hotel and Hilton HHonors, in their sole discretion, that are consistently popular reservation dates for guests, such as during major events in the area or New Year's Eve."

The difference between a sold-out date and an Extraordinary Demand Date? During an EDD there's nowhere to walk a bumped guest. That's why it's in place.
The only reason anyone would use this benefit is because there IS extraordinary demand....the hotel is full. Why else would someone use it?

It is a misleading benefit ... and I am surprised Hilton has not been sued over it.

As I mentioned, AA Executive platinum does not have any such weasel words...it someone is going to pay rack rate or full fare there is an extraordinary reason.

Hilton needs to take this out of is 'benefits'
Old Jan 29, 11, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
No, the benefit has value even though it may not meet your needs for this trip. Apparently there is something going on in the area and they are choosing to live up to the contractual agreement they have with already booked guests. I'm sure if they could find a reasonable resolution for the guest they would have to walk, you'd get the room. How would you like to be the person on the other end? It's one thing if they could make other arrangements, but if they can't?

An option is to repeat the request every couple of days to see if they have had any cancellations. Asking nicely, might even get you on a non-existant waitlist. But don't expect them to toss someone out on the street just to give you a room, rack rate or not.
Old Jan 29, 11, 6:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This is one of the funniest threads in the Hilton Forum in ages.
Old Jan 29, 11, 6:20 pm

The OP is no doubt trying to book during the Mobile World Congress, which certainly would qualify as an "extraordinary demand" period. Funny how he left that part out of his post.
Old Jan 29, 11, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
This is one of the funniest threads in the Hilton Forum in ages.
You didn't see this one?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ond-check.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: