HGI Free Weekend Sweepstakes

Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
HGI Free Weekend Sweepstakes

I just got an e-mail from HGI Marketing inviting me to enter a "sweepstakes" to win a free weekend at an HGI property. The problem is that entries can only made via Facebook and require that you have a Facebook profile and "like" HGI. No problem "liking" HGI, but I have a big problem having to become a "customer" of Facebook in order to participate in a sweepstakes being run by Hilton.

It's customary with lotteries such as this to provide an alternate means of entry, such as postal mail or e-mail, so as not to require becoming a customer of a third-party company, such as Facebook.

Anybody else have a problem with this?

Rich G
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:02 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
No, I don't have a problem with it.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:45 pm

My wife has a Facebook account.

When she tried to enter a similar promotion (I think that Tanger Outlet Malls might have been the sponsor?) it turned out that she would have to have had to give the sponsor access to her address book, friends list and lots of other stuff that is really no ones business.

Dont know if the HGI promotion is set up the same way.

BTW I ^ HGI but Facebook
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I have Facebook and I'm getting totally creeped out by the invasion business is creating. In fact, I "unliked" all businesses and pages that weren't directly related to me (i.e. I kept my very small alma mater) and I now only "like" comments that friends put up.

I'd just set up a second account and not "friend" anyone. Maybe FTers can start making these fake accounts and start "friend"ing each other to make the accounts look legit. Then we could use those "fake" accounts to "like" somewhat shady/creepy seeming sweepstakes that our favorite loyality programs make up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.