How would you handle this?

Old Nov 5, 10, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
How would you handle this?

So here's the quick and dirty version: laying in bed at a Hilton property, blissfully drifting off to sleep.

About a half hour into it, I'm woken up to the headboard collapsing off the wall and knocking me pretty nicely in the head. ^

Turns out the headboard was affixed to the wall fairly haphazardly, at least to my untrained opinion. Filing this one under the "could be worse" category, and willing to take the small bump on my head.

Called down to the desk and was told they didn't have another room and that I should call the manager tomorrow. Seemed unphazed.

Should I take this farther up the chain, or just take care of it at hotel level? Is this something worth complaining about?
Old Nov 5, 10, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
If the manager doesn't help you out, I would take it higher. I am surprised they didn't fill out a written incident report in case the injury ended up being more serious.
Old Nov 5, 10, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
If the manager doesn't help you out, I would take it higher. I am surprised they didn't fill out a written incident report in case the injury ended up being more serious.

I was very surprised about this as well. A couple of years ago, I cut my foot on glass that had somehow made it into the shower and not been cleaned up -- you would have thought the world was ending with the amount of paperwork they wanted done for such a small cut.
Old Nov 6, 10, 5:26 am

Programs: HHonours
Ouch!

I'd be speaking to the duty manager, and getting them to photograph your head - and the headboard. I'd then request a copy of their incident report.

When you speak to the manager, I suggest you request the incident report and see what sort of reaction you get...
Old Nov 6, 10, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Similar, cut my foot one time, didn't make a fuss, after all said and done manager sent me a Be My Guest around a week later, my opinion that would be appropiate.
Old Nov 6, 10, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Tell them you are a lawyer. I'm surprised they didn't jump at this. One time some hot tea spilled on my hand and the staff called in half of the management to address the issue, apologizing no less than 500 times...
Old Nov 6, 10, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Update: checked out, asked to speak to the manager, and the guy at the front desk which could not have been more than 20 years old insists he can take care of it.

He says "that's happened before" (?) and "we'll need to look at that". Comps my room (making a comment about how low my rate was (MVP rate) in the first place) and sends me on my way. No manager to talk to.

What a joke.

I'd post photos but I somehow lost my USB cable between there and the airport.
Old Nov 6, 10, 9:02 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (airline status-free leisure traveler), HH Diamond
Always start with the hotel directly. If they don't respond to your liking then go to Hilton Corp. Hilton Corp just usually deflects complaints back to the hotel anyways, so start with the hotel.
Old Nov 6, 10, 10:50 am
Suspended

You should have insisted on having them completing an incident report. This provides for an official record of the incident should the injury turn into something more than it initially appears to be. Keep in mind though that with incidents reports, the hotel most likely would not give you a copy of it. They'd most likely defer to their insurance company or claims adjuster if you wanted a copy. Once an incident report is filed, that generally will start a "risk manaement" response and go from there.

Also to the person that suggested going to Hilton corporate, that would do you no good unless the property was managed/owned by Hilton. Otherwise Hilton most likely would not get involved in a risk management issue at a franchise property.
Old Nov 6, 10, 12:16 pm

First off, ALWAYS leave a paper trail. An incident report definitely should have been filed. A head injury has the potential to be dangerous and even life-threatening if you were to get a subdural hematoma, and the symptoms may be delayed if you have a slow bleed. Getting the name of the front desk attendant would also have been good.

As far as not being able to get a copy of the incident report, that's what cell phone cameras are for I would have, as suggested, also gotten pictures of the headboard and any bump or bruise on your head.

I realize that this is after the fact, but I would still document the incident and send it to Hilton corporate. JMHO
Old Nov 6, 10, 12:23 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 5, 13 at 3:30 pm Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Nov 6, 10, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cali-gal View Post
First off, ALWAYS leave a paper trail. An incident report definitely should have been filed. A head injury has the potential to be dangerous and even life-threatening if you were to get a subdural hematoma, and the symptoms may be delayed if you have a slow bleed. Getting the name of the front desk attendant would also have been good.

As far as not being able to get a copy of the incident report, that's what cell phone cameras are for I would have, as suggested, also gotten pictures of the headboard and any bump or bruise on your head.

I realize that this is after the fact, but I would still document the incident and send it to Hilton corporate. JMHO
Thanks for the tips -- I did take multiple photos of the incident, which I can forward to them.
Old Nov 6, 10, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cali-gal View Post
This wont do any good by sending it to Hilton corporate unless the hotel is corporately managed. You'd be better off finding out who manages the hotel and sending it to their risk management department.
Old Nov 6, 10, 5:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The fact that it has happened before means to me the hotel just doesn't care. I would take it higher, from the point of view that you don't want it to happen to somebody else and you don't feel the hotel will do anything about it.
Old Nov 6, 10, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jws026 View Post
Update: checked out, asked to speak to the manager, and the guy at the front desk which could not have been more than 20 years old insists he can take care of it.

He says "that's happened before" (?) and "we'll need to look at that". Comps my room (making a comment about how low my rate was (MVP rate) in the first place) and sends me on my way. No manager to talk to.

What a joke.

I'd post photos but I somehow lost my USB cable between there and the airport.
What a joke? Seems like he took care of it, and unless you needed medical attention, I'd certainly leave it at that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: