Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Providence {US-RI}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Arrow Hilton Providence {US-RI}

Can anyone tell me about the free breakfast for Golds at this property. I usually have my MyWay preferences set to free internet, but I am thinking about changing it for this one stay as I will be checking in late and departing early and therefore will not have much need for internet.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: SWA CP, HHonors Diamond, UAL 1P
We're local to Providence but stayed here recently to enjoy Waterfire downtown. We're diamonds and got coupons for the full American breakfast at the hotel restaurant (Shula's steakhouse). I imagine it would be the same for Golds. It was a standard buffet - eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, etc. They also had a good assortment of healthy stuff (I had yogurt, sliced fresh tomatoes, and hard boiled eggs). Hubby LOVES free breakfast and he was pleased so I'd say it's worth it.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, Gilly. Any idea how late they serve breakfast?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:00 pm

Programs: SWA CP, HHonors Diamond, UAL 1P
Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
Thanks, Gilly. Any idea how late they serve breakfast?
I think it was until 10 on the weekends. We were there after 9 am and it was still in full swing. Could be even later though...
Old Aug 7, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
If your stay begins after Sept. 1, remember that internet will be free (for Golds and Diamonds).
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:27 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Didn't want to start a new thread. This property gets pretty bad reviews on Tripadvisor and there's not much here on FT. Anyone stayed here recently?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Just stayed here for an event last weekend, It is next door to Dunken Donuts Center and a block from Convention Center. (Reward Stay 2 @35k)

I arrived at about midnight, it was Brown U. commencement that weekend so all was pretty active. I am pretty sure it was close to sold out, when I arrived and said I was checking in, I must have been the last person they were waiting for as my key holder was all setup and everything.

I got a room on the 14th floor (1407, no 13th floor), which is labeled the HHonors Executive Floor, although nothing special about it that I could see other then that 2 bottles of water was provided. I stayed a room away from the elevators and it could be heard slightly. It was fairly annoying until I realized what it was but it didn't wake me during the night.

My room showed some wear but nothing too bad. Breakfast was at Shula's 347, it was quite an impressive breakfast buffet selection as far as I have gotten at Hilton for free. They had someone working a omlet and waffle iron for you also, which I saw them cook and deliver to people.

Cab ride to PVD is about $30.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:20 pm

Thumbs up Kudos to Hilton Downtown Providence

I was very impressed during my stay at the Hilton Downtown Providence this past weekend. They have been through a renovation and the rooms are stylish and impeccable. I was also impressed with the staff...very friendly and helpful. Location is also great...walking distance to Freedom Hill and Downtown activities, and right next door to the Dunkin Donuts Center if you're attending an event there. My one small disappointment was that the hotel does not have suites so there was no upgrade opportunity. If you're ever in Providence, I recommend the Hilton Downtown.^
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Sounds like a great property. If only it weren't in Providence.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:36 pm

I stayed here two nights July. As a diamond I was upgraded to the 14th floor, but to a room with a lousy view of the highway. The only benefit of the upgrade was two bottles of water. The room did not come with a safe. The breakfast was remarkably disappointing. Only scrambled eggs, toast and cereal. I skipped it the second day. Parking cost is 21 USD.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've been staying here recently. Figured I'd add a post about it since we apparently haven't had any FT'ers here in 7 years.

My stays have all been satisfactory. I've been using OLCI and Digital Key with no issues - on several of my stays, I've had zero interaction with the front desk. I've been selecting room 1401 lately as it's farthest from the elevator, but the hotel has always been quiet overall throughout my stays there. I have never asked for or received an upgrade, nor waited long enough in OLCI to see if I'd get one. I get the sense the property doesn't have many suites to begin with, as I've never seen one available for booking. The hotel does not have an exec lounge.

Rooms themselves feel reasonably fresh and renovated. They've probably been renovated since the last post in this thread in 2011.

Shula's is gone, replaced by another restaurant that probably looks a lot like Shula's did. Diamond breakfast is 2x full buffet with an omelette/eggs-to-order station. Non-alcoholic beverages included, and they usually hand me a Diet Coke to go. I've been quite happy with the breakfast choices, and the guy who is usually there making omelettes is fun to talk to. Really oldschool Rhode Island guy. If you stay there twice, he'll remember you. I also had a burger one night at the bar after a late arrival and it was pretty good as barfood goes. The bar has a few local craft brews on tap.

It's walking distance to everything downtown plus Federal Hill. Walking distance to the station if you're taking a train down from Boston You could walk to Brown if the weather's nice, but otherwise grab a short Lyft/Uber. Less than $20 Uber/Lyft to/from TF Green airport. (Side note: as of late 2018, Uber and Providence are fighting over airport fees. The city has settled with Lyft. Therefore, Lyft pickups are by the terminal, whereas Uber pickups are in a parking garage a few minutes' walk farther away.)

For my stays, the hotel has always had better rates than the 3 main Marriott properties downtown. The hotel is substantially better than the Marriott. The Renaissance has a bit more upscale/luxury feel to it and is a very good hotel overall, but can easily be $100+ per night more than the Hilton. I've settled on this property as my preferred choice in Providence.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Was here recently and thought the breakfast was quite good (and was free for 4 people in two rooms based on my status.) Ample buffet and as stated MTO eggs and waffles.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hilton: Diamond | Delta: Gold | Marriott: Platinum | IHG: Platinum
My girlfriend and I are going out to Boston for five nights, then down to Providence for two nights before we go back up to Boston and fly out the next day. I booked 2 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn in Providence. For those that have stayed at the Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn in Providence, which is better from your experience?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ndrew1
My girlfriend and I are going out to Boston for five nights, then down to Providence for two nights before we go back up to Boston and fly out the next day. I booked 2 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn in Providence. For those that have stayed at the Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn in Providence, which is better from your experience?
While I generally prefer full-service properties over limited service, Hilton Providence is exceedingly bland and unremarkable. There are very few if any suites, so there are limited prospects for an upgrade beyond a higher floor. Decor is a bit dated. And while Gold/Diamond breakfast generously includes not just continental offerings but the full hot buffet, the spread is just average. There's nothing objectionable about the hotel, but nothing much to recommend it, either.

By contrast, the Hilton Garden Inn feels better than average for the brand. Decor is more modern, some rooms offer riverfront views, breakfast is cooked to order, and parking is free.

Based on product alone, I'd choose Hilton Garden Inn, but there's also location to consider. Hilton is downtown, with more attractions within walking distance. HGI's East Side location, though beside a pleasant park, is more isolated.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hilton: Diamond | Delta: Gold | Marriott: Platinum | IHG: Platinum
Originally Posted by MS02113
While I generally prefer full-service properties over limited service, Hilton Providence is exceedingly bland and unremarkable. There are very few if any suites, so there are limited prospects for an upgrade beyond a higher floor. Decor is a bit dated. And while Gold/Diamond breakfast generously includes not just continental offerings but the full hot buffet, the spread is just average. There's nothing objectionable about the hotel, but nothing much to recommend it, either.

By contrast, the Hilton Garden Inn feels better than average for the brand. Decor is more modern, some rooms offer riverfront views, breakfast is cooked to order, and parking is free.

Based on product alone, I'd choose Hilton Garden Inn, but there's also location to consider. Hilton is downtown, with more attractions within walking distance. HGI's East Side location, though beside a pleasant park, is more isolated.
I appreciate your insight. If only the HGI was in the location of the Hilton, it sounds like it'd be an easy decision. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.