Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Take hh points off our books in the name of homelessness

Take hh points off our books in the name of homelessness

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down Take hh points off our books in the name of homelessness

These guys have no shame

Just got via email from HH

"For every 10,000 points you donate, we’ll send US$25 to the National Coalition for the Homeless"
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
These guys have no shame
I don't find any shame with the idea.

What I find shameful is the pathetic $25 amount for 10,000 Hhonors points.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

That's my point exactly.

They're trying to act charitable. Yet they're giving a horrible dollar equivalent to the points you use.

Charitable would be to up the donation to at least $50. After all, 30,000 HH gets you a room worth $150 or more a night, in most cases.

This is a way to take a points liability off their books, and get a deductible charitable donation in the process.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

Oh I did. With all the politics being played. The ad talked of housing justice, economic justice, and several other justices. Add it all up and that starts to equal redistribution.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: HHonors
What we really need is a Justice League.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Question

yup

Dear wbl-mn-flyer,

Hilton HHonors supports the National Coalition for the Homeless as they engage in public education, policy advocacy, and grassroots organizing focusing on the following four areas: housing justice, economic justice, health care justice, and civil rights.

If you would like to support the effort, we have arranged for HHonors members to be able to donate points to support this cause.

For every 10,000 points you donate, we’ll send US$25 to the National Coalition for the Homeless. If you would like to join us in supporting this organization in their determination to battle homelessness by donating points, please visit us here
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If you value a hilton point at .5 cents a point, then 10,000 points come out to $50. If you really want help the homeless then just write a check for $25 to the charity and you will get the tax deduction and you won't be making hilton look like the good guy
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
What's the buy price for points?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by harryhv
What's the buy price for points?
$.01 per point if you buy 10K or more points at once. Otherwise it's $.0125 per point.

Bobette
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by b1513
$.01 per point if you buy 10K or more points at once. Otherwise it's $.0125 per point.

Bobette

So I trust everyone gets my point now.

HH is selling points for more than 1 cent each. Yet when points holders help Hilton to "donate to the homeless" the cash out to the poor homeless people's organization is BELOW the price which HH points are sold. There is no charity in this sort of scheme, it's just a scam in so many ways. Shameless.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever

HH is selling points for more than 1 cent each. Yet when points holders help Hilton to "donate to the homeless" the cash out to the poor homeless people's organization is BELOW the price which HH points are sold. There is no charity in this sort of scheme, it's just a scam in so many ways. Shameless.
Wow...that's pretty crappy on HH's part....
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond

Originally Posted by theblakefish
Wow...that's pretty crappy on HH's part....
+1
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Why don't you just go rent a room on points and invite a homeless person to use it for the night? I sure they would enjoy the opportunity to get cleaned up, sleep in a real bed, and watch tv.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hamptoninnsider
What we really need is a Justice League.
^^
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by kanerf
Why don't you just go rent a room on points and invite a homeless person to use it for the night? I sure they would enjoy the opportunity to get cleaned up, sleep in a real bed, and watch tv.
I too have thought of this noble idea, however the thought of being liable for damages to the room, or for being liable for big ticket items stolen from the room makes me apprehensive about actually doing this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.