Where to go?

Old Jul 16, 10, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Where to go?

Hi!

During the last promotion I earned 5 nights. We are looking into going to either Las Cabos or Barbados or do you suggest another destination? Which is the better destination in January?

Thank you for your assistance,

Deena
Old Jul 16, 10, 7:37 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
cancun
Old Jul 16, 10, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Yep Los Cabos for me not the place, the water colder, and a strong under-tow.
Old Jul 16, 10, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
I'll add to the confusion: Go to Barbados. I was there last Nov, was upgraded without a fuss and enjoyed my B-day with the locals in the Hilton-associated club just next door, which is a favorite spot for locals...

Now, do you still wish to have pointers or would like to determine what you really want to do and just do it?
Old Jul 16, 10, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I suggest Barbados if you've never been. I was there 2 Novembers ago and will definitely go again within the next few years. The Island itself is beautiful, the people are great, the water on the Caribbean sea side is like bathwater in the end of November, the scuba was great, food and drink (2 happy hours a day) massive population of sea turtles to see and snorkel with, oh and it's a 50% discount on US dollar. 1$us = 2barbadian dollars yet the price is the same as what you'd pay in america. IE a cab ride is 8 dollars here in ny and it'd be 8 Barbadian dollars.
Also, not sure where you are location but B6 flies there which makes the flight that much more comfortable.
Old Jul 17, 10, 4:36 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drawonme View Post
We are looking into going to either Las Cabos or Barbados or do you suggest another destination?
Cabo almost always has cheap'er' packages to the various resorts there, so I'd burn your certs anyplace but Cabo.

Also why did you select just those two properties?

Welcome to Flyertalk !!
Old Jul 17, 10, 7:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Just went to Barbados last month. Nice upgrade to Oceanfront on Executive floor as diamond on points. Scuba was great. Great use for cert's, although I have never been to Cancun or Cabos.
We also have 6 certs and are trying to decide where to go in Oct. Is Cancun nicer than Cabos? We already have seats to Cabos, but could change?
Old Jul 18, 10, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the information.

The reason why I had those listed was because we will be leaving from Atlanta, GA and I did not want to spend a whole day flying to get there.

I really wanted to go to Costa Rica but the hotels on the beach were all-incluseives and they would not let me use my certs. Would anyone recommend staying somewhere else in Costa Rica?

If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
Deena
Old Jul 18, 10, 12:54 pm

There is also Curacao and Delta flys direct to there from Atlanta as that is what we flew a couple months ago.

You might also let everyone know what it is you are looking for in a beach vacation: Quiet beaches, nightlife, family fun, activites, etc.

I did a trip report on here with some pictures that will give you an idea of the Hilton there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...curacao-5.html

David
Old Jul 18, 10, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
How is the ocean swimming in Barbados- are there decent waves?
Old Jul 18, 10, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report and pictures on the Hilton Curacao. We have a timeshare there at the Sea Aquarium and we just love Curacao! Actually we thought about going back there to use our certs. After seeing the pictures of the hotel and beach we are considering!

Thanks again,

Deena
Old Jul 18, 10, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
How is the ocean swimming in Barbados- are there decent waves?
Barbados on the west side is the Caribbean and it's just beautiful beach and swimming. The waves are great and the water is warm. The East side is the Atlantic and the waters are cooler and much more aggressive. Good for surfing but not as good for swimming.
Old Jul 18, 10, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armattheus View Post
Barbados on the west side is the Caribbean and it's just beautiful beach and swimming. The waves are great and the water is warm. The East side is the Atlantic and the waters are cooler and much more aggressive. Good for surfing but not as good for swimming.
Does this hold true for going in January? Or does the water get very cold?
Or can you still swim on the Caribbean side?

Thank you for your assistance!

Deena
Old Jul 18, 10, 7:48 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY D, MR G, CC S, IHG P
Originally Posted by armattheus View Post
I am fairly certain that the Hilton is considered to be on the South side of Barbados. The south side has some waves but usually is swimmable. The west side of the island actually has the calmest water, and at least when I was there, the longest contiguous beaches.

I was in Barbados in early February several years ago, and I didn't go in the water much, but think it is warm enough for most people. January/February likely will be the coolest water temperatures of the year though. If you have not travelled to the Caribbean that time of year, you should be aware that you can get periods with more wind and rain (it is winter after all).
Old Jul 18, 10, 8:53 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drawonme View Post
Does this hold true for going in January? Or does the water get very cold?
Or can you still swim on the Caribbean side?
these are very subjective questions, I grew up swimming in Lake Superior and usually dive w/o a wetsuit. I'm assuming because you are based in ATL your blood is a 'bit thinner'.

If you do a general online search, you might have found the following: Water temperature in Barbados averages 78 degrees F (25 degrees C) year-round

Search this Thread