Cert expiration (expiry) issue

Old Jul 14, 10, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Cert expiration (expiry) issue

I had called Hilton a few days ago to ask that they re-send a cert that I had earned back in February. It arrived today, with a distinct expiration date of one year from now (the date the copy was generated).
Old Jul 14, 10, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I had called Hilton a few days ago to ask that they re-send a cert that I had earned back in February. It arrived today, with a distinct expiration date of one year from now (the date the copy was generated).
Why did you need it resent? This is an interesting development as one could say they need it resent for the sole purpose of extending the expiration date.
Old Jul 14, 10, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I noticed that either I had never received an e-mail for it back then, or had inadvertently deleted such. I started this thread to see whether this is "normal"; have others had such certs "bounce" (like bad checks) when trying to use them after one year, but before the stated expiration date?

--------------------------------------------

Issue Date: 19-Feb-2010
Expiration Date: 14-Jul-2011
Reward Code: Q3FN
Description:
Congratulations! You are receiving this reward certificate
based on a promotion for which you qualified. Your account
has not been debited. This certificate is available at
participating hotels worldwide.
Old Jul 15, 10, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
I noticed that either I had never received an e-mail for it back then, or had inadvertently deleted such. I started this thread to see whether this is "normal"; have others had such certs "bounce" (like bad checks) when trying to use them after one year, but before the stated expiration date?

--------------------------------------------

Issue Date: 19-Feb-2010
Expiration Date: 14-Jul-2011
Reward Code: Q3FN
Description:
Congratulations! You are receiving this reward certificate
based on a promotion for which you qualified. Your account
has not been debited. This certificate is available at
participating hotels worldwide.

Was this cert ever listed in your "HHonors activity"? I had earned a cert in Q1 and it never was issued (no email or cert in activity). I waited for the 6-8 wks after the end of the promo, as instructed. Still nothing. When it was finally issued, it had an exp date of 1 yr after the date of issuance.

If the cert is in your activity log, there is no reason to reissue and they wouldn't have done it. I thought I misplaced a cert (deleted the email). I called to get a reissue. I was told it was logged into my account and I did not need a reissue.
I suspect, they never issued you one in the first place.
Old Jul 15, 10, 10:44 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 6MM, FRMNT PLT, MRT GLD, HYT PLT
have others had such certs "bounce" (like bad checks) when trying to use them after one year, but before the stated expiration date?
I can't imagine that would be a problem. The exp date is the exp date.
Old Jul 15, 10, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
Was this cert ever listed in your "HHonors activity"? I had earned a cert in Q1 and it never was issued (no email or cert in activity). I waited for the 6-8 wks after the end of the promo, as instructed. Still nothing. When it was finally issued, it had an exp date of 1 yr after the date of issuance.

If the cert is in your activity log, there is no reason to reissue and they wouldn't have done it. I thought I misplaced a cert (deleted the email). I called to get a reissue. I was told it was logged into my account and I did not need a reissue.
I suspect, they never issued you one in the first place.
Your assertions that a) it wasn't in my activity log and never issued and b) that HHonors refuses to re-send certs are both incorrect (the rep was more than happy to request a duplicate copy, even offering to fax it to a hotel if necessary).

If they don't re-issue them, how is one supposed to print out a copy for the hotel?
Old Jul 15, 10, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Your assertions that a) it wasn't in my activity log and never issued and b) that HHonors refuses to re-send certs are both incorrect (the rep was more than happy to request a duplicate copy, even offering to fax it to a hotel if necessary).

If they don't re-issue them, how is one supposed to print out a copy for the hotel?
If it is truly a reissue, then all the data are entered into the activity log, including the original certificate with real exp date. I would NOT take a chance of trying to use the cert after the original exp date. The cert is actually already entered into the system under your account. You don't actually need the cert, all you need is the cert number which is entered by the CSA when you make your reservation. That's why the CSA I spoke to said it does NOT have to be reissued.

I NEVER said they refused to reissue. It is just not necessary. they already have all the info and you have to call to make the reservation via the CSA anyway.
Old Jul 15, 10, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If the number is attached to reservations, then why do Hilton properties still have (require) paper certs, which front desks expect to receive? I was not going to actually use the cert beyond one year, but was curious as to whether others had encountered my situation. In other words, if this were really the case, is Hilton really up to speed (as all other chains are), so the certs are vestigial? (My rep's offer to fax it would indicate otherwise).
Old Jul 15, 10, 1:08 pm

If the number is attached to reservations, then why do Hilton properties still have (require) paper certs, which front desks expect to receive? I was not going to actually use the cert beyond one year, but was curious as to whether others had encountered my situation. In other words, if this were really the case, is Hilton really up to speed (as all other chains are), so the certs are vestigial? (My rep's offer to fax it would indicate otherwise).
Unfortunately, no. I still get asked for the regular certs every once in a while. Always for Diamond Forces. But rarely in the past yr for reg certs. They do have the certs #'s w/the res. That said, I still carry the certs w/me just in case. I use it primarily so I have the address and ph # of the hotels though.
For the Q3FN, I'll just have a log of my #'s since I accidentally deleted one of my emails.
Old Jul 15, 10, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
That's strange. I have 4 certs out there but I never received an email for any of them. I just thought you had to call up and make the reservation by instructing the reservation agent to use the certs.
Old Jul 15, 10, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, you will need to call Hilton in order to make the reservations. However, I believe hotels will expect you to fork over an actual piece of paper (cert hardcopy) for each night at check-in.

Search this Thread