Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can i check into a hotel(pay for the stay) and not stay there?

Old Jun 27, 10, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT

I am doing the free night promotion(which ends on the 30th) and need one more night for a certificate. Most of the hotels in my area(NYC) are very pricey and not worth a night. However, if i could find something for under $90 or so, then i think it would be worth it to get a free night certificate. My question is, if i find a really cheap property somewhere thats not near me, is there any way i can pay for the night, but not stay there? THanks.
Old Jun 27, 10, 11:36 am

My understanding is that you have to actually check in (don't need to physically spend the night because obviously no way for them to check that). I've heard lots of stories where people check in to a cheap hyatt, sheraton, whatever on their way home from work and continue home just to get the stays.
Old Jun 27, 10, 11:47 am

Will this work if you use web check in? If so, then you could find the cheapest property worldwide to complete your stays and remotely web check in.
Old Jun 27, 10, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
eCheckin really doesn't mean anything... The front desk has the option to give away your room if they want/need to do so. You do need to be present to complete the checkin process and get a key. Until that happens you haven't been there. Even sending someone in your place, if you have a friend or family member near the property, may backfire if they want to see you to get your HHonors benefits. Some properties have been reported not being so strict, but you know if you really need the night to count they will enforce every little rule they can.

Good luck on getting your last room.
Old Jun 27, 10, 9:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hilton HHonors Terms and Conditions are your friend - LINK

Accrual of Points

5. No points, miles, or credit toward tier status will be awarded for "no show" situations when a member has made a reservation guaranteed with a credit card but then does not check in to the hotel--irrespective of whether or not the member's credit card is charged for any portion of the reserved stay per the hotel's "no show" policy.

Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
I am doing the free night promotion(which ends on the 30th) and need one more night for a certificate. Most of the hotels in my area(NYC) are very pricey and not worth a night. However, if i could find something for under $90 or so, then i think it would be worth it to get a free night certificate. My question is, if i find a really cheap property somewhere thats not near me, is there any way i can pay for the night, but not stay there? THanks.
Old Jun 27, 10, 9:24 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
If you do not go personally and check in, points and stays won't count.
Old Jun 27, 10, 9:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Not sure when you need the stay by, but on weekends you can often get the Newark Airport Hilton for under $100 a night if you are close to that.

Go, check in, walk back out and drive back home.

Hilton Hasbrook (all before taxes, etc), Hilton East Brunswick, Hampton Linden, Hampton Meadowlands if there's no show, Hampton Woodbridge, Hampton Sommerset, Hampton and Homewood Rockaway, Hampton Mahwah, are all in the $80 to $85 range

Hampton South Plainfield, Hampton Parsippany, Doubletree Sommerset, Hilton Bridgewater, is in the $60 to $70 range

Find one close to you, make a reservation, show up and just go back home (or enjoy the night with the AC blasting and you not paying for it.
Old Jun 27, 10, 10:03 pm

Programs: HH Dia, HGVC
Hampton at La Guardia with MVP code is usually pretty reasonably priced as well...
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
no one really cares whether you stay there or not, but you have to check in....
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
No guarantee this will work and I wouldn't risk doing it just for a stay for points only, but you can try calling the hotel and telling them something came up and you can't make it but really want the points and ask them to check you in and check you out 1 minute later.

I had a prepay one time and the client cancelled the meeting at the last minute. I got reimbursed by the client and wasns't out anything anyway, but called the hotel and asked if there was anyway I could get points. Apparently they were sold out that night and appreciated the call and he said he would check me in and then put me on hold for a couple minutes and came back and said he just checked me out and it was taken care of.
Old Jun 28, 10, 11:49 am
Moderator: Travel Bidding forum

Call a friend somewhere near a cheap place and ask them to check in for you. Add them to the reservation.
Old Jun 28, 10, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jabez View Post
Call a friend somewhere near a cheap place and ask them to check in for you. Add them to the reservation.
that doesn't usually work....often when my wife checks in before me they ask her to tell me to stop by the front desk when i get to the hotel....otherwise she would have to pay for the diamond benefits & i wouldn't get the stay credit....

Last edited by Keyser; Jun 29, 10 at 2:48 am
Old Jun 28, 10, 3:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
More and more hotels as asking to have the member stop by the desk who is getting credit when somebody else checks in, even if you note it on the reservation. You can try it and there's a good chance they won't even notice, but it's not unexpectetd that it may not work any longer.
Old Jun 29, 10, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1k, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
I have added the friend, and called ahead to say that I am delayed and requested that they let the friend check-in for me.
Old Jun 29, 10, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLACKER View Post
I have added the friend, and called ahead to say that I am delayed and requested that they let the friend check-in for me.
they will let the friend check-in for you, but if you do not show up at some point during the reservation then your friend will be charged the diamond benefits & you will not get the stay credit....

Search this Thread