Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I'm thinking perhaps the person doesn't stay at HI's as much as you do, in which case I might not call that person an idiot.....@:-)
Perhaps there should be separate breakfast areas for people who earn their status the hard way. Or better yet, breakfast in bed.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
This thread has got me really concerned about our upcoming 4th of July weekend stays at two HIs in Franklin and Murphy, NC, and what I might expect at breakfast.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by dwcatty
This thread has got me really concerned about our upcoming 4th of July weekend stays at two HIs in Franklin and Murphy, NC, and what I might expect at breakfast.
If you're not the type to sleep in, get breakfast early. In my experience, 6:30a-8:00a are the slowest hours during breakfast service. EDIT: On weekends, at least.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
The folks here are sometimes a bit sensitive to problems and are seeking elegant and simple solutions. For the most part the problems are minimal, but when they occur can be frustrating, even infuriating. Odds are things will be fine.

I have not stayed at these, but the HI breakfasts are pretty generic. You can expect the following:

A waffle machine: the instructions are right there, and they are accurate, but the thing is hot, really, really hot. Just like the signs say. The problem is the folks that do not read the simple instructions, or, after starting the process stand staring in utter amazement that the thing works. It may be that they think there is a safety feature that shuts it off if they are not watching. Anyway, this seems to be the major flow restriction. Some Hamptons have two machines which means there are two people watching them instead of one.

Cereal: Intelligent managers have the mini boxes that I can stash for later, but some have bulk feeding vertical bins. These come in two styles. The first does not put any cereal in your bowl, or maybe a spoonful or two. Repetitive operations will eventually nearly fill the bowl until the last operation puts about 1/2 pound of cereal into the already full bowl. The other style dumps the full load with the first pull.

Oatmeal: Never ever get the regular flavor. It should say plain and tasteless. If you get it, you will need to flavor it yourself. It is all the instant variety. Do not ever expect complex carbohydrate selections but you can get them at the diner down the street. You will need to get water over at the coffee. Just say excuse me to the people staring at the waffle maker on the way.

Bread: There will be a selection of stale white bread, stale brown bread, leather bagels and sweet, smack your mamma, pastries. The bread and bagels are improved by toasting. The toaster dynamic is similar to the waffle maker but they are not nearly as hot, at least where you can touch them. Since they have a remarkable similarity to home toasters people are not nearly as fascinated by them. In fact, they are loaded and abandoned. The toast pops up and no one claims it. Eventually they remember and retrieve it, but by now it is a bit cold, so it gets a quick rewarm cycle that burns it and the bread is thrown away. It is about a 50/50 chance that the patron will now try to repeat this process.

Coffee: You have regular, robust and decaf. The regular is basic coffee, not too great, not too bad, but coffee nonetheless. I suspect the robust is just more of the regular, but since I do not get one of each to compare I really have no way of knowing. Exception: In the Pacific Northwest the robust really is. Stand back, say Here Coffee, and it will walk over to you. The regular may the same strength as, once again, I do not get two cups for comparison.

Juice: Pulp removed orange, basic apple, and maybe two types of milk are standard. Often these are served in carafes, I guess like a fine wine. The carafes are shoved down in a bed of ice to keep them cold. But that assumes that the previous patron shoved them back into the ice. Often they are just sitting around. They will have a plastic cap on the carafe that is specifically designed to splash juice on your hand and down the side of the carafe when you pull it off. Optionally you may see the jugs that have an insert with a liquid that is supposed to be ice to keep the juice cold. If you are very lucky, the juice will be in a mechanical dispenser that uses the same noisy mechanical components as the wall mount room air conditioners, set to high.

Finally, drum roll please..........., the two compartment chafing dish that the is the official holder of the daily selection that defines the "Hot Breakfast" part of the HI advertising. I love this thing. I almost never partake, but I will read the little signs hanging on the handle, guess what the contents are, open the lid and see if the offering matches my imagination. Some of these are very interesting. The bagel toppers, for example. Looks like leftover pizza. Sausage may be links or patties. If they are turkey they are generally not edible. There may be potato looking thing. And my favorite: the egg patty. These are nice little perfectly round egg thingies stacked up in little rows in the chafing dish. Except for the clue given by the little sign, your first guess would be that these might be something else. But, they are egg colored and generally egg flavored, but not necessarily egg textured, at least the texture I make eggs when I have a skillet. They are nourishing, I suspect, but not much else. They are to be used with something else, like the turkey sausage. The chafing dish creates its own backup, generally as folks are waiting for it to be replenished.

Oh. I almost forgot, the biscuits and gravy, the food that is so unique it gets its own thread.

Enjoy your stay!

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Jun 28, 2010 at 12:54 pm
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
I have stayed in Murphy there were some highschool kids camped out in the fitness room but breakfast was pretty calm.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
Originally Posted by OB one
Perhaps there should be separate breakfast areas for people who earn their status the hard way. Or better yet, breakfast in bed.
I am waiting for Hilton to build me a throne and install waffle makers plated in gold only for my use and batter flown in from Belgium every morning.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Companycar

1.) Dump Waffle batter on Waffle machine (if there isn't one then start bagel in toaster) WARNING: Don't start routine until Waffle machine/toaster is ready otherwise you will get trapped in the breakfast vortex along with the other confused patrons.

2.) Get a cup of OJ then get cup of coffee and grab sugar and creamer then drop off at table. Scan your re-entry point while watching Waffle timer (very critical timing here) If you went the bagel route don't think your out of the woods yet someone will steal a freshly toasted bagel in a heart beat!

3.) Waffle should be ready ( have your own fork in hand as the Waffle poker tool thing is bound to have batter on it or is in the egg trough or gone altogether) get it then grab 2 peanut butter packs get out of there. Boom done
I must say your waffle protocol for avoiding the breakfast vortex is impressive.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Companycar
I am waiting for Hilton to build me a throne and install waffle makers plated in gold only for my use and batter flown in from Belgium every morning.
Well at least you understand that you are special.

Fwiw, my Hampton regimen is very similar to yours except I never touch the waffle batter or machine. Approach breakfast area scanning for open table and head straight to the bagels to try to find one that looks somewhat normal. Stick bagel in toaster, head straight to coffee, get a cup of regular and a cup of ice water (once in a while oj), drop the drinks at open table after picking up an old newspaper from wherever it was left behind. Head to sausage patty and fake egg bins. Get two sausage patties and one egg thingie on plate, go to toaster and grab the bagel throwing it on same plate saying "excuse me" to those standing and watching the toaster. Head back to the table where I assemble my bagel sandwich. Refill coffee and grab an apple heading back to the room. Done.

I never touch the cereal or yogurt or any of the other stale bread or pastries or the waffle maker. Very rarely will I go for the biscuits and gravy unless the bagels are gone. A biscuit sandwich as described above subsituting biscuit for bagel is okay. Occasionally I get a cup of fruit if the fresh fruit looks bad.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I have not stayed at these, but the HI breakfasts are pretty generic. You can expect the following...
Terrific summary! ^
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Finally, drum roll please..........., the two compartment chafing dish that the is the official holder of the daily selection that defines the "Hot Breakfast" part of the HI advertising. I love this thing. I almost never partake, but I will read the little signs hanging on the handle, guess what the contents are, open the lid and see if the offering matches my imagination. Some of these are very interesting. The bagel toppers, for example. Looks like leftover pizza. Sausage may be links or patties. If they are turkey they are generally not edible. There may be potato looking thing. And my favorite: the egg patty. These are nice little perfectly round egg thingies stacked up in little rows in the chafing dish. Except for the clue given by the little sign, your first guess would be that these might be something else. But, they are egg colored and generally egg flavored, but not necessarily egg textured, at least the texture I make eggs when I have a skillet. They are nourishing, I suspect, but not much else. They are to be used with something else, like the turkey sausage. The chafing dish creates its own backup, generally as folks are waiting for it to be replenished.
Geez, I never see chafing dishes at Hamptons. All I get is a mini fridge with numbered bags. You pull one out, throw it in the microwave and push the corresponding number (ie if the bag is labeled "6" you push the "6" button). I love seeing first timers trying to figure how long to zap the bag.

FWIW, I've been to both Franklin and Murphy before and just failed to add the appropriate emoticon to my previous comment. What...you all couldn't tell I was making a joke? Yeesh.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Geez, I never see chafing dishes at Hamptons. All I get is a mini fridge with numbered bags. You pull one out, throw it in the microwave and push the corresponding number (ie if the bag is labeled "6" you push the "6" button). I love seeing first timers trying to figure how long to zap the bag.
I've only seen one of those a few times... awful things, IMHO. I grabbed a bag, punched the appropriate number on the micro., and when it was done, it was both burned, and soggy.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OB one
Well at least you understand that you are special.

Fwiw, my Hampton regimen is very similar to yours except I never touch the waffle batter or machine. Approach breakfast area scanning for open table and head straight to the bagels to try to find one that looks somewhat normal. Stick bagel in toaster, head straight to coffee, get a cup of regular and a cup of ice water (once in a while oj), drop the drinks at open table after picking up an old newspaper from wherever it was left behind. Head to sausage patty and fake egg bins. Get two sausage patties and one egg thingie on plate, go to toaster and grab the bagel throwing it on same plate saying "excuse me" to those standing and watching the toaster. Head back to the table where I assemble my bagel sandwich. Refill coffee and grab an apple heading back to the room. Done.

I never touch the cereal or yogurt or any of the other stale bread or pastries or the waffle maker. Very rarely will I go for the biscuits and gravy unless the bagels are gone. A biscuit sandwich as described above subsituting biscuit for bagel is okay. Occasionally I get a cup of fruit if the fresh fruit looks bad.
Wow you got a lot going on there hitting the "Hot Bar" and Toasting something at the same time two ends of the spectrum I'll have to rethink that approach.... I think I would just pull the fire alarm or throw one of those things the SWAT team uses to disperse crowds.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
In all honesty, the only thing I really like at Hampton is the fruit and if they have a waffle machine. Usually I get a cheap enough rate at Hampton, I would rather just eat someplace else off the property.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

FWIW, I've been to both Franklin and Murphy before and just failed to add the appropriate emoticon to my previous comment. What...you all couldn't tell I was making a joke? Yeesh.
I have stayed a several Hamptons and never seen these numerically-coded bags -- are you joking?

I get the coffee and OJ first, leaving it on my claimed table (or in the case of the too-small-breakfast-area at the Majestic Hampton in Chicago, a place along the "breakfast bar" counter) and then getting the food (from the chafing dish).
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have stayed a several Hamptons and never seen these numerically-coded bags -- are you joking?
No, not at all. Six is a sausage biscuit - I remember because that is what I had last week. One of them is a breakfast tortilla, another is french toast and one is a really repulsive geode like thing that is like a carbohydrate ball with an interior that is gravy. ~shudder~ There is a picture and a number on the bag, and the microwave has a strip of buttons with the same pictures, just smaller. I'm all for a sausage biscuit - 35 years living in the south will do that, but that gravy ball thing is just gross.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.