Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Executive Lounges...

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I love this thread!!!! I thought that I was the pnly one who felt like this....

I generally avoid cont. Breakfasts for these very reasons. Whether it is the corp traveler who insists on fixing bagel and butter/cheese, or the old couple that can't get the coffee, or the family of tweens in sweats hogging everything, i just avoid it... I would much rather pay and have the food served than deal with the grazing zombies of a free cont. Breakfast.....

Embassy is bad, but seems to be more organized than HI.

Perhaps it would help to put up enter and exit signs from each station, or put arrows on the floor. Who knows.

So many posters here have hit the nail on the head...
Actually, this is just one of the reasons I prefer hotels w/Executive Lounges! But there is no guarantee that the entire family (sweats and all) don't end up there either. However, at least the ENTIRE hotel isn't eating up there. It's typically nice and quiet...mostly business travelers like myself that don't make a whole lot of noise at 7:00 a.m.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I have been avoiding the ES for YEARS.....can't even remember the last time I chose an ES....ick.

Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
Actually, this is just one of the reasons I prefer hotels w/Executive Lounges! But there is no guarantee that the entire family (sweats and all) don't end up there either. However, at least the ENTIRE hotel isn't eating up there. It's typically nice and quiet...mostly business travelers like myself that don't make a whole lot of noise at 7:00 a.m.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I have been avoiding the ES for YEARS.....can't even remember the last time I chose an ES....ick.

Sweats.. LOL!

Twice this year, I've been seated at an HI, eating my rubber bacon and dried hockey puck biscuit and saw a grown woman come to get breakfast in her PAJAMAS. You can't make this stuff up. In Savannah a couple months ago, I saw an entire FAMILY come to breakfast in their PJ's. quite disturbing to say the least.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
Reading this thread makes me want to be more compassionate because I probably feel the same way and when I read threads like this, it puts it out there, in black and white, just how intolerate we are for very insignificant circumstances.

Next time this happens to me, I will imagine that it is my "mother," or someone else that may not be as organized as me, quick on their feet as me, or just someone that may actually be challenged in one way or another that is not obvious.

Watching "What Would You Do?" really brings this home to me and makes me really work on my reactions to others that just may need a little more help.

Thank you for the reminder...I can constantly use them in this very busy world we live. The replacement of my "mother" usually works all the time--especially in traffic situations--ha!!!!

I think you are missing the point here. It's not that these are poor little old ladies that haven't traveled in 30 years they are selfish slobs most of the time who are only worried about themselves and what they can get for free. I am extremely considerate of other people's time and I have proper manners why should I respect these slack jawed yokels. It takes effort to be organized and to think about others who don't have time to stare at you while you slice a banana in your cereal.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
Talking Just one more indication..

..that the educational system in the US has failed.

That gravy is just wonderful. Full of fats, salt.. and who knows what else. This keeps the cardiac docs ahead on their med school loan payments and malpractice insurance.

TBF

Originally Posted by Companycar
Ahh that cracks me up "The gravy looks really good" prisoners get better food than HI guest.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
OMG, YES!

1) It never ceases to amaze me how many people try to butter their bagel/ put together their cereal/ fix their coffee/ etc on that little space on the buffet counter rather than TAKING IT BACK TO A TABLE!

2) Believe it or not, there is actually a method to the traffic flow in and between the "zones" on the buffet --- Why do people insist on meandering back and forth like a grazing cow? Secondly, if you can't juggle three baseballs, you certainly can't juggle a plate of eggs, a bowl of cereal and a cup of OJ... Make a second trip!

3) There are four entire hours devoted to breakfast. Oddly enough, you are not the only person who thought that by waking up at 9:30 you'd miss the rush...

Now of course, I'm just venting about those amateur travelers out there... I know that you guys and gals are pro!

Because I stay at 90% Hampton Inn I'll share my finely tuned breakfast routine with you (as if anyone cares).

1.) Dump Waffle batter on Waffle machine (if there isn't one then start bagel in toaster) WARNING: Don't start routine until Waffle machine/toaster is ready otherwise you will get trapped in the breakfast vortex along with the other confused patrons.

2.) Get a cup of OJ then get cup of coffee and grab sugar and creamer then drop off at table. Scan your re-entry point while watching Waffle timer (very critical timing here) If you went the bagel route don't think your out of the woods yet someone will steal a freshly toasted bagel in a heart beat!

3.) Waffle should be ready ( have your own fork in hand as the Waffle poker tool thing is bound to have batter on it or is in the egg trough or gone altogether) get it then grab 2 peanut butter packs get out of there. Boom done
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:06 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I have never had a crowd at HI. Probably get up too late to catch the crowds. Usually on holiday with the family in pyjamas :-). The ES have usually had a restaurant and are a bit more organized. The Hiltons (when stay is paid for by someone else) are always at a full service restaurant anyway.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:11 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Companycar
Last week I was at breakfast and this guy who was obviously a veteran traveler said to another guest "what are you looking for" I wanted to give him a high five! because the idiot was wondering around like he didn't know were he was and obviously needed some direction.
I'm thinking perhaps the person doesn't stay at HI's as much as you do, in which case I might not call that person an idiot.....@:-)
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

sadly, this is the same reason I avoid executive lounges. Same disorganization. Same grazing zombies(usually with a more DYKWIA attitude). Give me the breakfast in the full service restaurant. Usually the restaurant buffets are more organized.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I am not an early riser by any means, and I am usually late for everything. BUT I make sure I get to the airport extra early and I am the first person at the buffet in the morning. The food is somewhat fresh, there are plenty of seats & no PITA people bumping in to me.

It also depends on what Hamptonn Inn you stay at. I'll stay at a HI in Alpharetta, GA and the breakfast experience is actually nice because people there are on business, travel frequently and know how to act. The breakfast area is quiet,clean & well stocked. On the other hand, I stayed at a HI in Orlando and breakfast was a complete disaster, people pushing,shoving, screaming,throwing food on the floor,grabbing with their hands, not enough seating. I even had a complete stranger sit down at my table and then invite his wife and 2 kids over to eat.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
It isn't just Hampton Inns -- other buffet-breakfast-included chains, such as Homewood Suites, have exactly the same problems. Heck, it isn't even just Hilton chains -- it's all of them!

)
Just what I was going to say. Happens everywhere I've been.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I amm not a big fan of buffets and the mentality that seems to go with it but I must saw it is even worse at hotels that provide completely free breakfast. I do not stay at a Hampton Inn now because of this. Well, unless their rate is cheap enough and possibly a restaurant nearby that I can get a decent meal without watching the breakfast train wreck. I would not judge those that are getting themselves oriented and are wondering around a bit as not everyone spends so much time in hotels and just trying to size things up and I find that better than the person who feels a need to dive in head first and take more than they actually need as if there will never be enough.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Perhaps it's a reflection of the properties where I've stayed*, but I don't recall any HI breakfast scenes I'd call a "train wreck"? Generally speaking, I've found the family units at these places fairly well-mannered and polite (re: the woman who hollered to her swarming brood). There seems to rather high expectations here, IMHO. The most egregious behavior I can recall was at a Hilton Lounge watching a guest picking the nuts from the cheese-and-fruit tray with her fingers.

I hadn't really noticed that the breakfast areas are "flow designed" until it was pointed out here earlier, but they're definitely better than Holiday Inn Express's single file cafeteria line. As for folks taking the last of something, I find I can come back when the newly nuked replacement chow arrives.

* disclaimer: I have never been to Orlando (except to change planes), and have no desire whatsoever to go there.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
This thread makes me think of my breakfast experience in the EL at the palmer house this morning.

It's a continental style breakfast and in all honesty not that good. I wish they would give you vouchers for breakfast downstairs instead like they do if you are gold and don't get upgraded. I couldn't believe the way the people behaved.

there were tongs out and people were still using their hands to grab things. someone just jumped in line in front of me where the bagels were and said her son dropped his bagel on the floor and needed to get in right away and proceeded to just get another bgel and throw it in the toaster. That I could tolerate but when I got to the toaster the kid dropped his bagel again and I quickly put my bread in when she went back to get yet another bagel.

I couldn't believe all the families this morning either. I couldn't even get a table and wasn't able to get an upgrade (they did give me a very large nice room though) and at Palmer house I was forced to hold all the stuff since there were no trays, go to floor 8 and then get on another elevator to 12. When I was getting in the elevator a couple with their kids were getting off the elevator and were in such a hurry the one kid bumped into me.

I am not trying to sound stuckup but there is definetly a different class of people staying on the executive floors on weekends at palmer house now than before. I refuse to pay for a NOR-1 upgrade and I do select the free Exec level upgrade but never seem to get it anymore.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:33 pm

Absolutely - different chain (sleep inn) - but I've given up this weekend and now just going to McDonalds for breakfast!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I stayed at the palmer house last night and this mornings continental breakfast crowd at the EL was like that of a hampton, maybe worse. And the food wasn't anybetter. at least hampton has waffles. There was no hot food at all at PH.

I am not sure why these people behaved like that this morning or at Hampton. The breakfasts are nothing special and in fact I was regreting I just didn't go to the beuffet downstairs instead and if I stay at a Hampton I usually just eat elsewhere unless I don't have any time and just grab some fruit and eat it fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.