Newspaper Benefit

Old Jun 25, 10, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
Newspaper Benefit

This whole newspaper thing has me confused.

I stayed at a... HGI an saw something to the effect of the following on my key folder:

"If you do not wish to receive the USA Today newspaper, check here and return this card to the front desk. A credit of $0.75 will be applied to your account."

Has anyone else seen that at a place where the newspaper isn't free for all? And as HHonors members... aren't we supposed to get complimentary newspapers?
Old Jun 25, 10, 4:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The benefit is

Complimentary weekday newspaper. Often free for all guests, but always free for HHonors members.

What they are offering you is if you don't want the paper (many people don't) instead of just throwing it out without looking at it, you can choose not to receive it and they will credit you 75 cents per day they would have delivered it.
Old Jun 25, 10, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Has anyone ever had the 75 cents taken off the bill? I've probably checked the "don't give me a paper" box about a dozen times and they never remove it from the bill. I just gave up checking it b/c it was too much of a hassle to argue to have it taken off. However, most properties still have newspapers in the lobby if you want one but apply for the 75 cent discount.
Old Jun 25, 10, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
That it doesn't sound complimentary, it sounds like a newspaper that's costing 75 cents. It shouldn't cost anything whether I want it or not, therefore there should be no 75 cents to credit, right?
Old Jun 25, 10, 4:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
It just gets in the way when I try to wheel my luggage out the door. Who reads the news paper print edition anyway.
Old Jun 25, 10, 4:51 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Paper ad revenues are based on paid sales. When USA Today turned the newspaper business plan on its head with free distribution by hotels, based on a steep discount, the other papers cried foul. So, USA worked out a deal with the hotels, pretend to give the papers away, but give people the money back if they asked for it. USA would furnish papers at a 25 cent discount, a big deal when the cover price was 50 cents. This allows them to claim that the paper really was paid as the customer did not ask for their money back. There are some hotels that have a line on the sign in form that says this. If I am not mistaken, the hotel only pays for papers picked up and used, not those left over.
Old Jun 25, 10, 4:52 pm

I asked about this the last time I stayed at a HGI and was told, "Oh we don't give that credit anymore." Whatever. I was more irritated that it was USA Today rather than a local newspaper, or something useful like the Wall Street Journal or Financial Times.
Old Jun 25, 10, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Hampton Innsider explained this one a while back - I believe it means that you can't waive a paper, but if you don't get one, you can get the money back? I'm sure he'll be along in a bit to clarify.

I usually look through it if it's there (my last stay it wasn't, though other rooms had theirs), but would gladly waive it.

Years ago, I asked the check-in clerk about a credit for waiving the paper, and she replied, "But ... we don't charges elites in the first place!" I let it go.
Old Jun 25, 10, 6:06 pm

Programs: HHonors
I don't know if HGI has different rules but at Hamptons the credit means: You ask for a paper, we refuse, you get a credit. Never had to issue the credit since we would just hold a paper if someone requested one and if our occupancy is less than the amount of papers we get we give one to everyone anyway. I can't even say for sure that anyone has ever asked for one. We pay for papers regardless if they are used are not.

I have had people tell me they don't need a paper and check the box. One guy checked the box and then asked for the money and said he asks for it everywhere. I pointed out the checkbox is for stating you need assistance in an emergency.
Old Jun 26, 10, 9:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Anyone who spends this much time and effort trying to beat a hotel out of 75 cents is pretty close to an emergency.

Originally Posted by hamptoninnsider View Post
<snip>

I have had people tell me they don't need a paper and check the box. One guy checked the box and then asked for the money and said he asks for it everywhere. I pointed out the checkbox is for stating you need assistance in an emergency.

Search this Thread