Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

double booked--appropriate compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:08 am
Original Poster

So, I had a reservation at an ES that I regularly stay at for last night. Did e-check in yesterday and picked out an upgraded corner suite. Checked in last night, got up to my room but it wasn't the upgraded suite I had e-checked in for.

I was tired from a long day and decided to just take the regular room and forgo the upgrade that I had e-checked in for. It was late. I was tired.

Then, around midnight I was awakened by someone trying to get into my room! They had double booked my room and someone else was had a key to get in! Luckily, I had bolted the door locked so they couldn't get all the way in.

Hotel rep. came up with the guy who was trying to get in the door. They both apologized and went on their way. I tried to go back to sleep but was a little frazzled by the whole incident.

This morning at check out, I had no folio slid under my door. They had no record of me being there but quickly stuck me in a room so that I would have a folio for the night.

Now, I'm not usually one to complain, but this incident truly scared me. I was sound asleep and someone tried to get into my room! I know it can happen, but it's never happened to me before.

At check out this morning, hotel rep. said he's going to have his general manager busy figuring out how this one happened.

So, finally my question....what would be appropriate compensation for this type of incident? The hotel offered nothing, but I plan to write a letter explaining the situation. The hotel mgr. is already aware of it, so I'm sure he's sort of expecting some type of letter.

I've never dealt with anything like this before, so I thought I'd come to the wealth of information that is FlyerTalk and get your opinions/thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by lexie
So, I had a reservation at an ES that I regularly stay at for last night. Did e-check in yesterday and picked out an upgraded corner suite. Checked in last night, got up to my room but it wasn't the upgraded suite I had e-checked in for.

I was tired from a long day and decided to just take the regular room and forgo the upgrade that I had e-checked in for. It was late. I was tired.

Then, around midnight I was awakened by someone trying to get into my room! They had double booked my room and someone else was had a key to get in! Luckily, I had bolted the door locked so they couldn't get all the way in.

Hotel rep. came up with the guy who was trying to get in the door. They both apologized and went on their way. I tried to go back to sleep but was a little frazzled by the whole incident.

This morning at check out, I had no folio slid under my door. They had no record of me being there but quickly stuck me in a room so that I would have a folio for the night.Now, I'm not usually one to complain, but this incident truly scared me. I was sound asleep and someone tried to get into my room! I know it can happen, but it's never happened to me before.

At check out this morning, hotel rep. said he's going to have his general manager busy figuring out how this one happened.

So, finally my question....what would be appropriate compensation for this type of incident? The hotel offered nothing, but I plan to write a letter explaining the situation. The hotel mgr. is already aware of it, so I'm sure he's sort of expecting some type of letter.

I've never dealt with anything like this before, so I thought I'd come to the wealth of information that is FlyerTalk and get your opinions/thoughts.

Thanks in advance
I probably wouldn't do anything but, if I decided to do something, I'd email the general manager and tell him what you've told us AFA your emotional state was concerned after the incident. See what he offers.

If you were checking out, why did they quickly stick you in a room? I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind that.

Bobette
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Evidently, the room they checked me into was actually in use by another person (who left early) but that the room showed available--ready to use??

They just quickly stuck me in the room that I had originally e-checked in for, but didn't actually get, just so I would have a folio to get reimbursed for.

Strange......I know.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A well written succinct letter should be useful - these people need to train their folks or work with their systems, because this is truly a series of errors that would be comedic except they could be dangerous.

If you choose to request compensation, keep it in scale and be specific, whether you want points or ? You may wish to cc Hilton as well.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I'd bring it to their attention, but I wouldn't ask for compensation, unless you paid for a higher class of room and did not get it.

There's a fairly long thread or two in this forum someplace about people getting a room that was double booked, it's a way more common thing then most people believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.