Hampton Inn and Profile Issues

Old Jun 21, 10, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Nut
Hampton Inn and Profile Issues

While this is not the biggest of concerns it does get frustrating as I don't always carry or have my HH CC handy at checkin.

It seems that everytime I check into a Hampton Inn they always ask for my physical CC to make an imprint. At no other hotel in the Hilton family does this happen.

My questions is two fold:

1. Do others have this same issue?

2. Is there something one can do about making it so one doesn't have to do this?
Old Jun 21, 10, 8:32 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
1. Same thing nearly every time I can remember. And I left my corporate card on the dash of my car once for a day (in Houston...) so taking an imprint doesn't do them much good anymore. Some resort to copying it (it's worn silver numbers on a grey card, so that's futile, too).

2. The only workaround I know is: Go to the Hampton Inn Vacaville, CA. Last week I used my HH card there and asked the agent to change the profile card. Her comment was "glad you asked me because our policy is to never ask Gold or Diamond members for a card since you stay so often." I wanted to make the smart remark back that these days one can get Gold or Diamond without staying "so often"...
Old Jun 21, 10, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost every hotel I know of requires the actual cc at check-in to swipe or imprint in order to see if still valid and/or to cover any additional expenses.

MisterNice
Old Jun 21, 10, 10:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
To me this coin has two sides.

If I was to start noticing Hampton charges on my credit card statement at places I did not stay because somebody got into my profile and started making reservations with my stored cards, I would be like "Why didn't you check ID or Credit Card when they registered?"

The other side is

"Why do I have to show my ID or Credit Card when I register"?

To me, showing the card or running it through a kiosk at hotels that have kiosk check in is a much less painful then trying to fix the first one should it happen.

Hotels, in general, I believe are way too lax in allowing people to conduct transactions online without ever actually checking to see it's that person using the product. Virtually no other business is conducted that way. Show up at Best Buy and say your name and expect to walk out with something costing hundreds of dollars you bought online. Ain't gonna happen without showing them something else.
Old Jun 22, 10, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by MisterNice View Post
Almost every hotel I know of requires the actual cc at check-in to swipe or imprint in order to see if still valid and/or to cover any additional expenses.

MisterNice
Like I mentioned previously, this is a Hampton Only Issue. The last two nights here in Louisville, KY I have stayed at a HGI and a Hilton and both times I was asked about a card for incidentals and both times I said place them on the card in the profile. Both times no problem. Stay at a Hampton Inn, problem.
Old Jun 22, 10, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Scott6067 View Post
Like I mentioned previously, this is a Hampton Only Issue. The last two nights here in Louisville, KY I have stayed at a HGI and a Hilton and both times I was asked about a card for incidentals and both times I said place them on the card in the profile. Both times no problem. Stay at a Hampton Inn, problem.
I don't think this is a Hampton issue, I've stayed many times at Hampton's and they haven't asked for the CC if it is on the reservation.

I've also been asked for the card on file at non-Hampton's, so perhaps it's just a fluke for you.
Old Jun 22, 10, 3:25 pm

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
I stayed at a Hampton last weekend (June 19). Card was swiped but not imprinted. I was also asked for picture ID, for which I provided passport. Woman behind counter compared signature of card to passport signature.

Week before, HGI. Card was swiped, not imprinted, no ID required.

Week before THAT, I stayed at a HGI and was swiped AND imprinted, no ID required.

I'm getting a real YMMV feel.
Old Jun 22, 10, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
To me this coin has two sides.

If I was to start noticing Hampton charges on my credit card statement at places I did not stay because somebody got into my profile and started making reservations with my stored cards, I would be like "Why didn't you check ID or Credit Card when they registered?"

The other side is

"Why do I have to show my ID or Credit Card when I register"?

To me, showing the card or running it through a kiosk at hotels that have kiosk check in is a much less painful then trying to fix the first one should it happen.

Hotels, in general, I believe are way too lax in allowing people to conduct transactions online without ever actually checking to see it's that person using the product. Virtually no other business is conducted that way. Show up at Best Buy and say your name and expect to walk out with something costing hundreds of dollars you bought online. Ain't gonna happen without showing them something else.
The idea that someone stealing a hotel room would actually stay in the room makes it hard to fathom as a crime. Someone might notice upcoming stays they did not book and simply alert the hotel that a crook is coming that day.
Old Jun 22, 10, 9:10 pm

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
The idea that someone stealing a hotel room would actually stay in the room makes it hard to fathom as a crime. Someone might notice upcoming stays they did not book and simply alert the hotel that a crook is coming that day.
It's hard to fathom somebody stealing a credit card and then using said credit card to ship stuff they bought on Amazon to their own home address... but it happens every day.
Old Jun 22, 10, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Across all hotel brands I generally find that the credit card is asked for at least 50-60% of the time. I think it's just coincidence that you're seeing this more with Hampton than others.

But it's not a problem with your profile. The reservation has a credit card number stored on it regardless.
Old Jun 22, 10, 10:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
It would take minimal effort for them to look at past stays. if there's one or two in there and if there are no reservations, they can then feel free to know they are not dealing with somebody who checks their hotel account every two hours.

If there's five dozen stays and another five dozen reservations, they would probably not risk it.

It's totally not unheard of that somebody would steal a hotel room under another name. A guy was arrested in Albany last fall after bilking hotels and expedia out of $10,000 and making 70 something reservations. it happens.

If you store your credit card in a profile you can assume eventually somebody will find it. We have posts here all the time of e-mail accounts being hacked, if somebody gets in your e-mail, every user account and password you use, and then every credit card you have stored, is at risk, except at the few sites that erase your credit card info when you request a password change.
Old Jun 23, 10, 3:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Why is this any different from a retail store? I shop at JC Penney quite a bit. Some clerks recognize me and don't ask for ID. Other clerks always ask for ID with my credit card. I would assume it's because of the particular location and management preference.

For example, I found that more clerks in Seattle ask for ID than in Texas. But YMMV.

Search this Thread