Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:19 am

Maybe it's also about the region. All my Hilton stays are in Asia and Europe, where the DIA handling is maybe better than in i.e. the US or other parts of the world.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by thbe
Everyone with a flight after 3 pm appreciate a late check-out. And to give a late check-out means no real additional cost for the hotel.
Many of those people will be in meetings throughout the day, with no reason to return back to the hotel. So clearly not *everyone*.

Most of the Hiltons doesn't care about the following guest, when they give a room to a DIA. So late check-out is about being lucky, that the following guest will arrive later.
If the room is an upgraded room, the next night's guest could be a Diamond who would also want an upgraded room. Also, Hilton GUARANTEES a 3pm check-in for their guests, so rooms have to be available. While they know the normal percentage of people that will check in at any given time, they can't just press their luck that guests will arrive late.

If the incoming guest didn't check in online, they'll probably have the run of the house. Unless, of course, that guest reserves an upgraded room. Since a late checkout is via availability, versus a guaranteed check-in time for the incoming guest, the check-in time gets the priority. And since most Diamonds are shooting for upgrades, an upgraded Diamond will need to depart from their room early enough for the next upgraded Diamond to get that room. (And when they don't get upgraded, we get posts in other threads about how Diamonds don't get upgrades anymore because there's too many Diamonds.)

Thus, Hilton not only cares about the following guest; they give them the priority. And remember, every guest is the 'following guest'. You don't care who's in your room right now. You can that when you get to the hotel, you get that room. You are the following guest that they care about.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Many of those people will be in meetings throughout the day, with no reason to return back to the hotel. So clearly not *everyone*.

If the room is an upgraded room, the next night's guest could be a Diamond who would also want an upgraded room. Also, Hilton GUARANTEES a 3pm check-in for their guests, so rooms have to be available. While they know the normal percentage of people that will check in at any given time, they can't just press their luck that guests will arrive late.

If the incoming guest didn't check in online, they'll probably have the run of the house. Unless, of course, that guest reserves an upgraded room. Since a late checkout is via availability, versus a guaranteed check-in time for the incoming guest, the check-in time gets the priority. And since most Diamonds are shooting for upgrades, an upgraded Diamond will need to depart from their room early enough for the next upgraded Diamond to get that room. (And when they don't get upgraded, we get posts in other threads about how Diamonds don't get upgrades anymore because there's too many Diamonds.)

Thus, Hilton not only cares about the following guest; they give them the priority. And remember, every guest is the 'following guest'. You don't care who's in your room right now. You can that when you get to the hotel, you get that room. You are the following guest that they care about.
There have been times I have given up an upgrade to get a room early. If I have a morning flight and am given the option of having them hold my luggage and returning for a suite later or getting a non-upgraded room right then sometimes I will skip the upgrade.

One way Hilton could avoid this is like another poster stated and give diamonds the change to do OLCI earlier than other guests. Hilton should also do what the competition does and only give out exec level upgrades to diamonds and provide x number of suite upgrade certificates to diamonds a year like Hyatt.

The point is if Hyatt, SPG and Marriott can offer the 4 p.m. guaranteed checkout to diamonds then Hilton should be able to. I'm sure not every diamond in the hotel is going to be wanting a 4 p.m. check out anyway.

SPG even offers a revolving 24 hour check out for their top tier. You can check in any time you want on check in date and then your check out time is 24 hours after for a one day stay, 48 for two, etc. I'd love that benefit. On Europe stays when I would be at the hotel before noon I would have my room and would be leaving before noon on check out day. When I go to Peru I wouldn't get to the hotel until around midnight and on check out day I would have a 2 a.m. flight so it would work out perfect. Same with west coast flights when I do a redeye, I don't get to the hotel in Vegas until 10 p.m. and if I do a sunday red eye I leave the hotel by 10 p.m.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
One way Hilton could avoid this is like another poster stated and give diamonds the change to do OLCI earlier than other guests. Hilton should also do what the competition does and only give out exec level upgrades to diamonds and provide x number of suite upgrade certificates to diamonds a year like Hyatt.

The point is if Hyatt, SPG and Marriott can offer the 4 p.m. guaranteed checkout to diamonds then Hilton should be able to. I'm sure not every diamond in the hotel is going to be wanting a 4 p.m. check out anyway.
Agree 100%
SPG even offers a revolving 24 hour check out for their top tier. You can check in any time you want on check in date and then your check out time is 24 hours after for a one day stay, 48 for two, etc. I'd love that benefit. On Europe stays when I would be at the hotel before noon I would have my room and would be leaving before noon on check out day. When I go to Peru I wouldn't get to the hotel until around midnight and on check out day I would have a 2 a.m. flight so it would work out perfect. Same with west coast flights when I do a redeye, I don't get to the hotel in Vegas until 10 p.m. and if I do a sunday red eye I leave the hotel by 10 p.m.
That is awesome!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square Central. Requested a 4pm checkout for either one of the two rooms I had booked there, but told the latest they could do was 2pm. They they proceeded state they could do 4pm, but that it would cost $100 extra.

I asked her to confirm that she was saying that they did have rooms available, but that even as a diamond they wouldn't offer me 4pm for free, and she confirmed that was correct.

At which point I proceeded to cancel the 3-night reservation I had with them for next week. I hope the $100 they wanted was worth it...

Originally Posted by flyou10
That is awesome!
The SPG 24 hour thing isn't "guaranteed", in that you need to request it for each reservation that you want to use it for, at least a few days in advance - at which point they can either confirm it's available or deny your request. It's also not "top status" that gets it, it's basically a partial rung above Platinum (Platinum needs 50 nights/year, this needs 75 nights/year before you get it)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square Central. Requested a 4pm checkout for either one of the two rooms I had booked there, but told the latest they could do was 2pm. They they proceeded state they could do 4pm, but that it would cost $100 extra.

I asked her to confirm that she was saying that they did have rooms available, but that even as a diamond they wouldn't offer me 4pm for free, and she confirmed that was correct.

At which point I proceeded to cancel the 3-night reservation I had with them for next week. I hope the $100 they wanted was worth it...
Good for you! Hilton London Paddington did the same to me. Asked for 4pm, got 1pm but could get 4pm Ł100. I waited till the next morning when I checked out to cancel my stays for the remainder of the year. The manager came out asking why I'm cancelling close to 30 nights with them. I asked him if the Ł100 was worth the 30 nights they just lost.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
@docbert & @kulflyer

That's awesome! The more we ask for 4pm the more Hilton & properties will realize that there is demand to join Marriott with the late checkout. Also, the fact that they are refusing to honor there late benefit of checkout policy but charge instead won't be tolerated. I had one in Liverpool do the same thing. Unfortunately, it was my only stay so I couldn't make a point. Makes me so mad when they want to charge for a benefit.

However! Make sure to report this to Hilton and tell them what you did. Use the "tell us about your stay" on the app. It goes to both Hilton & the local hotel. Hilton executives also need to hear the disapproval of their customers.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
issue for an hotel is not the occupation of room until 4pm rather than 2pm, but the resulting need for room cleaning+renewal after guest checks out so late.

Hotels do not have staff cleaner numbers to instantly replenish all checked rooms between 1100/1200 two standard checkout time and 1pm or 2pm the standard two hour elite extensions, thus allowing some rooms to be occupied to 2pm has minimal/xzero cleaning impact. Some hotels even further cost-save by not having room maid cleaners start work until hotels standard checkout time.

However hotels expect cleaners have redone all late-checkout rooms by 4pm, and are not employing room maids/cleaners after 4pm. Even where best 4*/5* hotel employs 1-2 roommaids for turndown service 6pm onards, those maids can't refresh umpteen rooms between 4-6pm if a bunch of elites extend to 4pm

I stay at hotels and 20% of time take advantage late2pom/ 4pm checkout, (as said when waiting on 6pm or later flights). I often see the cleaner responsible for a set of rooms (that includes my room) has finished all her rooms by say 13:30 and is waiting only on me to depart so she can clean her last room and go home.

The final issue is HHD (or other brands similar elites) are given either i)nicest rooms in catefory ii)upgraded nice rooms ... So those nice rooms are needed for incoming elite guests. If hotel has a lounge I often ask for lounge access extension 2-4pm so that I release the room.

It may be easiest/best for elite wanting a late checkout to mention at checkin, and volunteer they will forgo a nice room (and/or upgrade) in favour of base room and a later checkout. I know I have been sucessful offering to do that.

Someone is bound to point out, SPH/MR do it, so HH can do. If HH bring in 4pm checkout then someone has to pay extra to cover employing roommaids for 4-6pm to makeup rooms used to 4pm.

If guest wants room past 6pm, hotels often remove from inventory, so then need charge a whole night.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I would say that if the property offers to sell a day-rate (9am-6pm checkout or the like) for the day I request late checkout they ought to be able to offer a late checkout since they obviously have staff and want to earn more on tha capacity. If they don't have the day rate for the day I can respect they are more busy.
It's when they say fully sold out and can't do anything and I open the app and see that I can book 4 rooms easy then it smells of bs.
sarahluv likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by scubaccr
issue for an hotel is not the occupation of room until 4pm rather than 2pm, but the resulting need for room cleaning+renewal after guest checks out so late.

Hotels do not have staff cleaner numbers to instantly replenish all checked rooms between 1100/1200 two standard checkout time and 1pm or 2pm the standard two hour elite extensions, thus allowing some rooms to be occupied to 2pm has minimal/xzero cleaning impact. Some hotels even further cost-save by not having room maid cleaners start work until hotels standard checkout time.

However hotels expect cleaners have redone all late-checkout rooms by 4pm, and are not employing room maids/cleaners after 4pm. Even where best 4*/5* hotel employs 1-2 roommaids for turndown service 6pm onards, those maids can't refresh umpteen rooms between 4-6pm if a bunch of elites extend to 4pm

I stay at hotels and 20% of time take advantage late2pom/ 4pm checkout, (as said when waiting on 6pm or later flights). I often see the cleaner responsible for a set of rooms (that includes my room) has finished all her rooms by say 13:30 and is waiting only on me to depart so she can clean her last room and go home.

The final issue is HHD (or other brands similar elites) are given either i)nicest rooms in catefory ii)upgraded nice rooms ... So those nice rooms are needed for incoming elite guests. If hotel has a lounge I often ask for lounge access extension 2-4pm so that I release the room.

It may be easiest/best for elite wanting a late checkout to mention at checkin, and volunteer they will forgo a nice room (and/or upgrade) in favour of base room and a later checkout. I know I have been sucessful offering to do that.

Someone is bound to point out, SPH/MR do it, so HH can do. If HH bring in 4pm checkout then someone has to pay extra to cover employing roommaids for 4-6pm to makeup rooms used to 4pm.

If guest wants room past 6pm, hotels often remove from inventory, so then need charge a whole night.
Yes, I believe cleaning staff is the bigger issue here. There are some properties the farm out the cleaning duties and some of them get paid piece meal (per room cleaned) to the workers. I've chatted with a few that work more than one property during the day so the sooner they can leave the first, the quicker they can start the second.

The better properties learn to stagger their staff so they have someone available to hit the late check-out rooms and other last-minute demands. The one's that are offering the late check-out for a fee should be reported to HH and maybe someone can help them plan their operation better to meet the program needs.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by jumbooze
I would say that if the property offers to sell a day-rate (9am-6pm checkout or the like) for the day I request late checkout they ought to be able to offer a late checkout since they obviously have staff and want to earn more on tha capacity. If they don't have the day rate for the day I can respect they are more busy.
It's when they say fully sold out and can't do anything and I open the app and see that I can book 4 rooms easy then it smells of bs.
If someone checked in online and took the room you are in, with a guaranteed 3pm check in, you'll be out of luck anyway, no matter what excuse they use.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
If someone checked in online and took the room you are in, with a guaranteed 3pm check in, you'll be out of luck anyway, no matter what excuse they use.
well I guess you're right.
When you say guaranteed 3pm check in what do you mean? The "indicated time chosen" in the app? Is that guaranteed?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
No issues getting a 4 p.m. Late check out at Palmer house Chicago as a diamond today. Friends who are with me who are gold asked and was told 2 was latest they could do so they just stored their stuff in my room
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hilton Milwaukee City Center gave 2 PM and that was with asking at check in ^
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hampton Inn St. George. Asked for a late checkout and the agent said normal checkout was at 11 and she offered 12. Asked for 1 PM and it was granted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.