Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Will gold or diamonds get better upgrades for "tipping" the desk clerk

Old Jun 1, 10, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold

I am staying at the vegas hilton in a couple weeks. I was with a friend this weekend and he wanted to know my rate and I pulled up the reservation. He noticed the NOR-1 option and that the resort clubs were $39 a night more. He told me it was foolish to select that option since i was there for four nights and just to have a $20 bill showing and ask for the upgrade and if they had any rooms I was going to be more likely to get the upgrade that way and there would be no additional charge as the NOR-1.

He told me he knew of someone that had a cheap priceline "name your price" reservation at the Hilton recently and had a $20 with the credit card he used for incidentials and asked for a resort club room and was upgraded for free while he knew diamonds that wouldn't get upgraded.

I REALLY hate the thought of tipping as a diamond since that is suppose to be a benefit, but was wondering if I did have a $20 out if I would get upgraded to a lot better room and should do that instead of risking a NOR-1 upgrade at a higher price. I have tipped the clerks at the courtyard in Toronto where I only have silver for giving me a nice room upgrade (I didn't have the cash out though like a bribe and just have given it them for giving me such a great room location after I find out the room number and a BW Property I stay at a lot (where I am diamond) I will tip the clerk but a lot of that is for him always going out of his way every time I stay there.

What I find VERY disturbing is if it is true a priceline customer will get a better upgrade for tipping the clerk than a diamond or gold (or even silver) HH member will get for not tipping. Hiltons bread and butter are the frequent guests who book on their site, not the priceline and third party vendor rooms. I am really surprised hiltons management doesn't audit the room upgrades given out to make sure that priceline reservations aren't given upgrades when diamonds and golds aren't.
Old Jun 1, 10, 9:59 am

The answer to your question is yes. Vegas is unlike virtually any other market. May not seem fair to you, but that's the way it is.
Old Jun 1, 10, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
The answer to your question is yes. Vegas is unlike virtually any other market. May not seem fair to you, but that's the way it is.
I know these may sound like dumb questions, but this will be the first time I have used a tip as a "bribe" (the other two hotels I do this with I don't have the money out and give the tip after the fact. Should I I give them a $20 with the credit card or just have it out on the counter? If they don't happen to have resort rooms or any decent upgrades, do I take the $20 back or will they know not to expect it (if I am a diamond and can't get upgraded I sure am not going to tip the desk clerk). Should I cancel the NOR-1 upgrade request or can they upgrade me and not charge me if it's showing up on the reservation?

I realize vegas is a different market for hotels, but I am realy surprised hilton doesn't have controls in that will see clerks are giving upgrades to a priceline member over a diamond or gold. I realize desk clerks don't make much, and I have no problem with them getting a tip on a priceline reservation upgrade IF the hilton customers paying their rates who are premium and give hilton a lot of business are getting first priority.
Old Jun 1, 10, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
This "bribe" business is incredibly unseemly - I'd pay the NOR-1 rate, or live without an upgrade (if they said it "wasn't possible"). LVH is "different" in that it's an affiliated, not an actual Hilton property.
Remember to leave with your folio in hand to have the points you'll lose adjusted after the tax gets double-deducted by HHonors; LVH folios are not available (to you or HHonors) online after-the-fact.
Old Jun 1, 10, 12:57 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
$20 Trick - It works very well
Old Jun 1, 10, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
I don't know why people put quotes around the word bribe.

Personally I think FD staff that take a bribe should be fired.
Old Jun 1, 10, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post

...along with all the other service personnel in Vegas and other places that accept them? Not likely.
Old Jun 1, 10, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

I did so for emphasis; bolding, or italics, wouldn't have been quite the same thing.
Old Jun 1, 10, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

I agree but don't see it happening. If you tip a bartender well chances are your next drink you get from him is giong to be a lot stronger than the customer who didn't tip him.

If someone asks for an upgrade and doesn't have money out and then gets an upgrade and takes their wallet out and tips the desk clerk, I raelly don't have a problem with it as long as the hotel has the investory for the upgrades and a premium customer isn't getting screwed out of an upgrade. It seejms like it would be easy to monitor. Management should be given a report of any upgrades every day and if they are showing a lot of non premiums are being upgraded and there are premiums not getting upgraded it should be investigated.

It is my understanding that at MGM if they take a bribe and upgrade a customer that is grounds for immediate dismissal.
Old Jun 1, 10, 8:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze (and falling), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I agree but don't see it happening. If you tip a bartender well chances are your next drink you get from him is giong to be a lot stronger than the customer who didn't tip him.
Does that mean that they will refuse to serve me Bud Light? If so, it's money well spent
Old Jun 1, 10, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by Unique name? View Post
Does that mean that they will refuse to serve me Bud Light? If so, it's money well spent
I guess if you drink beer you don't need to worry about tipping I honestly don't think you should have to tip a bartender for getting you a beer or water. I think tipping has gotten out of hand. There is this big city street festival I go to in chicago every year (Halsted market days) and there is a 7-11 that puts out a tip jar that weekend by the cash register and I was in Key West and a convenience store had a tip cup beside the cash register.
Old Jun 1, 10, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
I've heard that NYC can be similar. Also at the ES Niagra falls they openly solicit tips with jars at the FD.
Old Jun 1, 10, 11:00 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Here is an extensive thread from Fatwallet where posters share their experience with "Las Vegas Front Desk Tipping"

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/trav...ussion/529706/

sdcarver
Old Jun 1, 10, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by pmaddock View Post
I've heard that NYC can be similar.
NYC is very similar. Those that think this practice is unseemly or grounds for firing should probably stay away from those markets. sdcarver - thanks for the link, which offers ample evidence that this practice is indeed the norm.
Old Jun 1, 10, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by pmaddock View Post
I've heard that NYC can be similar. Also at the ES Niagra falls they openly solicit tips with jars at the FD.
New Orleans is also that way. Every time I have gone was a very busy time when I know I can't get an upgrade anyway since the hotels are packed so I have never tried teh $20 bribe, but friends of mine have when they have been there other weekends on price line reservations and it usually works. With NOLA hotels though, a lot of them in the quarter aren't chain hotels, so they may not do status upgrades

Search this Thread