$917.43 a night!

Old May 25, 10, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K SPG Platinum Hilton Diamond
$917.43 a night!

"The hotel is requiring a deposit in the amount of $917.43 to secure the reservation. This deposit amount can change any time prior to the booking of the reservation. Once the reservation is made there can be no modifications or cancellations and the deposit is nonrefundable."

requested a one night stay at the chicago embassy suites downtown under the Diamond VIP reservations guarantee and they want this huge none refundable deposit now. it is right? I don't see mention of a deposit on hilton website.
Old May 26, 10, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
I assume you have a day with very high demand and to my recollection they charge you full price if you do not check in for a Diamond Force night (for good reason: HH pays the hotel full rate, too, and the Dimanond Force night is what it is: A real BENEFIT). The "unrefundable" comes from the original rate language (and the hotel will deal with with HH) and will to my belief not apply to you. You will be charged points, however, if you do not check in, this is the amount due.

Your rate is not a typical reward night but it is a night the hotel charges to HH and so your rate is a "normal" rate for the hotel (this is one of the reasons these nights often score points).
Old May 26, 10, 9:15 am
Original Poster

I know they charge a full price but I was surprised by the $917. that sounds high for chicago. I thought rack rate would be round $400-$600 at an embassy suites.

and I was told it is non refundable.

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
I assume you have a day with very high demand and to my recollection they charge you full price if you do not check in for a Diamond Force night (for good reason: HH pays the hotel full rate, too, and the Dimanond Force night is what it is: A real BENEFIT). The "unrefundable" comes from the original rate language (and the hotel will deal with with HH) and will to my belief not apply to you. You will be charged points, however, if you do not check in, this is the amount due.

Your rate is not a typical reward night but it is a night the hotel charges to HH and so your rate is a "normal" rate for the hotel (this is one of the reasons these nights often score points).
Old May 26, 10, 3:20 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, HHonors Diamond (earned), Aer Lingus Gold Circle, ex-UA,ex-NZ
Originally Posted by busybugsy View Post
I know they charge a full price but I was surprised by the $917. that sounds high for chicago. I thought rack rate would be round $400-$600 at an embassy suites.

Well, a couple of weeks ago I was staying for free at the Deansgate, Manchester, England (using my FN601) and the email reservation said "confidential rate" but the NOR-1 (I'm not paying them anything at all, ever) email said it was 349. Which is $502. This was the rate in the hotel's system, too, which they tried to charge me when I checked out. Sorry, not doing that. Quickly sorted out, fortunately.

But 349 ? Where did that rate come from? I couldn't find anything even close to that much as a rate on the Hilton website for that night, even booked on the day.

I got a very good upgrade indeed, but this may be because the FD manager knew me as a frequent stayer at the previous property he worked at. Or it may be because I've already qualified for Diamond for next year.

(If I stay 120 nights, why not give me 2 years. Or 180 nights, three years...)
Old May 26, 10, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat Exec., DL Rust, National E.E.
Originally Posted by ringbark View Post
Well, a couple of weeks ago I was staying for free at the Deansgate, Manchester, England (using my FN601) and the email reservation said "confidential rate" but the NOR-1 (I'm not paying them anything at all, ever) email said it was 349. Which is $502. This was the rate in the hotel's system, too, which they tried to charge me when I checked out. Sorry, not doing that. Quickly sorted out, fortunately.

But 349 ? Where did that rate come from? I couldn't find anything even close to that much as a rate on the Hilton website for that night, even booked on the day.

I got a very good upgrade indeed, but this may be because the FD manager knew me as a frequent stayer at the previous property he worked at. Or it may be because I've already qualified for Diamond for next year.

(If I stay 120 nights, why not give me 2 years. Or 180 nights, three years...)

In contrast, when I used the FN601 at the Waldorf-Astoria, NOR-1 said the rate was somewhere around $40. So this must be the rate HH pays the hotel.
Old May 26, 10, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
That is a lot for the ES on Grand. Did you look at the other hotels in that area. Homewood and HGI both have properties less than a block away. The Wit at State and Lake is a very easy walk from there and I like that property a lot better than embassy as long as you don't require the kitchenette.

Originally Posted by busybugsy View Post

Old May 26, 10, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

I would have preferred the wit, Conrad, or the homewood. But the first 2 are cat 7 and the homewood is under "extraordinary demand" and they wouldn't honor the diamond guarantee.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
That is a lot for the ES on Grand. Did you look at the other hotels in that area. Homewood and HGI both have properties less than a block away. The Wit at State and Lake is a very easy walk from there and I like that property a lot better than embassy as long as you don't require the kitchenette.

Search this Thread