FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton 30% off sale for Summer 2010: The “Great Getaway” Rate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1079204-hilton-30-off-sale-summer-2010-great-getaway-rate.html)

Minneapolis Apr 28, 2010 7:20 am

Hilton 30% off sale for Summer 2010: The “Great Getaway” Rate

Nassetta (we need to make a pejorative nickname for this guy!) has announce via Barbara DeLollis' blog on the USA Today that Hilton will be offering a 30% off sale for this summer. The deal is valid between May 28 and September 6. The rate also includes breakfast and is valid at 3,500 HW hotels.

Though this is only one line in his guest blog post with no additional information or links, it's safe to assume this is an Advance Purchase rate.

My reaction: meh. I don't use Advance Purchase rates for anything, so this doesn't move me back to Hilton.

Link to Hotel Check In Blog - Nassetta's Post

What do you think?

chitownflyer Apr 28, 2010 7:56 am

"Today I am announcing here for the first time that, beginning on May 10, guests can receive up to a 30% discount for stays between May 28 and September 6, 2010 at most of our 3,500 hotels around the world. The reduced rate also includes free breakfast."

You will be able to buy the advance purchase rates starting May 10. I liked the January sale where you could save up to 50 percent off weekend rates mainly at international hotels. I would like to see Hilton do a 50 percent advance purchase rate sale vlaid on any date at any hotel.

MisterNice Apr 28, 2010 8:03 am

Pure rubbish as all legit HH promos are announced days or weeks after the effective date.

MisterNice

AHN Apr 28, 2010 8:39 am

Originally Posted by MisterNice (Post 13858220)
Pure rubbish as all legit HH promos are announced days or weeks after the effective date.

:D

+1

servus Apr 28, 2010 8:45 am

Read carefully ...

Originally Posted by chitownflyer (Post 13858181)
"... guests can receive up to a 30% discount ...

:td:

flo0816 Apr 28, 2010 9:23 am

I don't get it...

"Once a guest joins our loyalty program, they rarely leave. "

--> check Leaving HH

"That type of allegiance is invaluable to our business, but we also understand that long-term customer loyalty needs to be earned and maintained over time. "

Oh, ok! That's why there are all these promos targeted at new/inactive HH members and none targeted at loyal members who spend a s...load of money at Hilton already.

"For example, today I am announcing here for the first time that, beginning on May 10, guests can receive up to a 30% discount for stays between May 28 and September 6, 2010 at most of our 3,500 hotels around the world. "

--> and how does this reward loyal Hilton customers?

"We typically run more than 1,000 targeted promotions a year "

--> good to know! I rake up anything above 100.000 base points a year and I did not recieve a single one.

divemistressofthedark Apr 28, 2010 11:21 am

Boo, hiss. +1 on 'nothing will convince me to book an advance purchase, even a big discount' since the money you save<money lost if plans change.

Even assuming this is true. Personally, I'd like to see the Q2 challenge extended, since it's got me motivated to shoot for Diamond this year...

kryten22uk Apr 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by flo0816 (Post 13858726)

--> good to know! I rake up anything above 100.000 base points a year and I did not recieve a single one.

what would be the point in targetting you? You already give them the business. Promotions are not rewards, they exist to drum up more business.

flo0816 Apr 29, 2010 8:03 am

Originally Posted by kryten22uk (Post 13860141)
what would be the point in targetting you? You already give them the business. Promotions are not rewards, they exist to drum up more business.

Well, I booked stays worth about 100k in the first 6-8 months. I still have 50-70k to book. In general you are right, promotions exist to drum up more business. But when you look at the topic of the article you will see that it is about HH, which is a LOYALTY program. You don't reward your loyal customers by giving everybody out there a 30% discount.

JLSocks Apr 29, 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by flo0816 (Post 13858726)
"We typically run more than 1,000 targeted promotions a year "

+1 I've earned well above 100K base points a year for the past 3 or 4 years and haven't gotten one targeted promo at all during that time.

If it wasn't b/c of work limitations, I'd have left Hilton for SPG or Hyatt a while ago.

travelinfoo Apr 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Too bad if these are APR. I almost never book APR because I like flexibility.

Keyser Apr 30, 2010 4:55 am

i miss the visa 25% sale....that was really a good offer....made most of my reservations last year through this promo....

ChinaShrek Apr 30, 2010 7:17 am

I am planning a road trip this summer to New Mexico and Utah. If this promo gives 30% off the BAR at all Hilton family hotels (Hampton Inns, Hilton Gardens, etc) then this will be a good deal. I don't mind pre-paid rates if I am going to be saving $30-$50 a night.

greywolf May 6, 2010 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by saad (Post 13871064)
i miss the visa 25% sale....that was really a good offer....made most of my reservations last year through this promo....

Same here. I attribute 100+ nights to that promotion. Now I'm off Hilton entirely.

nldogbert May 10, 2010 1:49 am

Rates are out

Just had a looks at some rates released for this sale, but not that impressed with the rates. :td: