Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mysterious Diamond Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:13 pm

I've just had this, welcome, notice.

I've also this month had my ICH RA renewed (earned).

When or where, broadly, will I get a better deal / service with HH rather than IC group hotels?

In other words, I'm prepared to do what Hilton presumably wanted - stay in their hotels - but I'm only going to do that where it's to my advantage over the alternative.
Old May 1, 2010, 3:27 am

Well I got this letter with my Diamond card and three years of status!!! This will save me money on keeping SPG Plat!

I am now over the trauma I suffered when I opened the previous envelope with my blue card in! I am not questioning the value of Amex Centurion so much now!

Dear Mr. Inthesky,

We recently sent you a letter that inadvertently communicated the wrong membership level for the Hilton HHonors™ program. We are sincerely sorry for the confusion. To apologize for the inconvenience, 50,000 Hilton H Honors points have been deposited into your account - that's enough points for a free nig ht's stay in ourtop reward category.

Additionally, as a valued customer, American Express and Hilton Worldwide are pleased to provide you with an upgrade to Diamond status, the highest level of membership in the Hilton HHonors program. Your HHonors Diamond status is valid through March 31, 2013 and your new card is enclosed.

Diamond status provides you with many benefits, such as earning a 50% bonus on all HHonors Base Points so you can get to your rewards, including complimentary hotel stays, even faster. In addition, you're always guaranteed a room so long as you book at least 48 hours priorto arrival.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to your next visit. If you have any questions about your Hilton HHonors account, or to learn more about Diamondstatus, please don't hesitate to call your dedicated Diamond desk at 1-877-444-9847.
Old May 2, 2010, 5:47 am

Reason for the upgrade is due to the error of sending out Blue cards earlier in the year.. its their apology.
Old May 2, 2010, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by MattUK
Reason for the upgrade is due to the error of sending out Blue cards earlier in the year.. its their apology.
That's clear from the letter I posted above. I wondered if it was a new standard Centurion benefit.

Three years status is very generous too.
Old May 2, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
Well I got this letter with my Diamond card and three years of status!!! This will save me money on keeping SPG Plat!

I am now over the trauma I suffered when I opened the previous envelope with my blue card in! I am not questioning the value of Amex Centurion so much now!
that is exactly the same as the one I got...
Old May 3, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: VS/bmi Gold, CX Diamond, SPG/Radisson/Sirius Gold, PC/A|Club Plat, GHA Black, Hilton Diamond +++
That explains the mystery!
I checkced in at a Conrad hotel this weekend, and when I produced my (expired) Gold VIP card, the guy at the counter said: "Sir, I have to inform you that you no longer have Gold VIP status... you are now Diamond!"
I had no idea why, but I didn't complain about the Executive Suite to which I was upgraded! ^
(I also received the blue card by mistake, and have Centurion IDC.)
Old May 3, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Why any Centurion would like to stay at Hilton hotels? If you are independently wealthy I would imagine Four Seasons etc. to be a better fit.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
Originally Posted by holtju2
Why any Centurion would like to stay at Hilton hotels? If you are independently wealthy I would imagine Four Seasons etc. to be a better fit.
there are a lot locations, you wont find any 6stars hotels.
so everybody has to stay in hiltons, hyatts etc. too.

so it was a good decision to not renew my diamond this year... now i am getting it for free, through centurion ;

dp
Old May 3, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Why was I upgraded, Gold to Diamond?

Just checked my account online, finally, and found that I am now Diamond.

Why?

20 stays
46 nights
51,000 base points.

No Surpass or even Amex.

I was on track to be Diamond in July or August, but I was surprised to find this. Will it get revoked? Is it a promotion? Should I just be quiet and enjoy my new status? Does this happen often?

No email, yet. No letter but not enough time.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Just checked my account online, finally, and found that I am now Diamond.

Why?

20 stays
46 nights
51,000 base points.

No Surpass or even Amex.

I was on track to be Diamond in July or August, but I was surprised to find this. Will it get revoked? Is it a promotion? Should I just be quiet and enjoy my new status? Does this happen often?

No email, yet. No letter but not enough time.
You may have benefited from a 7 stays, 14 nights between 1 April and end of June offer to upgrade to Diamond until end of March 2011, only holding Diamond beyond that if you meet the normal criteria.

Sounds like you are well on your way, but this way you enjoy the benefits a little earlier;-)
Old May 3, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Club_IC
You may have benefited from a 7 stays, 14 nights between 1 April and end of June offer to upgrade to Diamond until end of March 2011, only holding Diamond beyond that if you meet the normal criteria.

Sounds like you are well on your way, but this way you enjoy the benefits a little earlier;-)
12 nights and 5 stays in that time frame. Close, but not quite.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Well congratulations guys and I am happy for you ......but this really annoys me to read. I hope someone from HH reads this!

I have been a DIAMOND member who was downgraded this year for only staying 22 times in 2009....however unlike you I have done some 12 or 13 stays since January 1st but I am put back into GOLD and given a challenge to do 7 more stays before June 15. I am still in shock over this treatment.

This double standard is not sitting well with me nor is the non communicative nature of HH to its good members. Something sucks here big time! SPG never treated me this way and in fact they gave me a complimentary PLAT status for 2010 even though I missed their targets.
Someone, somewhere who is a legitimate SPG Plat is just as pissed off for you getting comped for 2010 and not meeting the qualifications.

The fact that you even mentioned 'double standard' in your post, only makes the irony of your post that much more entertaining.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: IC Gold, HHonors Gold, YX, NW
I too have received an unexpected upgrade. I am a long time Silver and I just saw I am now a Gold. This year I have 5 stays / 20 nights / 23K base points so I was rather surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.