Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Horrible cancellation experience!

Old Apr 16, 10, 9:01 am
Original Poster

I had a room booked at the Hilton- Newark Airport and ending up hopping on the wrong shuttle and was taken to the Hilton- Penn Station (Newark). I did not have time to taxi back to the airport so I decided to book a room at a Hampton in downtown Newark. At 5:30pm I called the Hilton- Newark Airport to cancel my reservation and they informed me that I would be charged a full night stay! To make a long story short, after 30 minutes I was finally able to get the room cancelled at no charge. I'm a Diamond and feel that this was an absolutely unnecessary hassle for me to endure? I have the name of the manager I spoke to EMPLOYEE NAME REDACTED BY MODERATOR at the Hilton- Newark Airport. Do you think its worth it to call the Diamond desk and complain?

Last edited by squeakr; Apr 17, 10 at 5:34 pm Reason: employee name removed
Old Apr 16, 10, 9:10 am

Programs: UA(1k)/AA/NW/HHonors Diamond/Priority Club Gold/Golden Circle
Diamond or not, consider yourself fortunate--especially late in the day. Some properties are more understanding than others, but Newark isn't known to be too forgiving. The cancellation policy requires, for the most part, one to notify the hotel/reservations (1) day prior to the start of the reservation. I think the situation worked out in your favor; don't see anything horrible at all. I, personally, wouldn't call the Diamond Desk.
Old Apr 16, 10, 9:15 am
Moderator: Travel Bidding forum

Code:
Do you think its worth it to call the Diamond desk and complain?
Nope,let it slide.
Old Apr 16, 10, 9:18 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by hiflyer66 View Post
Diamond or not, consider yourself fortunate--especially late in the day. Some properties are more understanding than others, but Newark isn't known to be too forgiving. The cancellation policy requires, for the most part, one to notify the hotel/reservations (1) day prior to the start of the reservation. I think the situation worked out in your favor; don't see anything horrible at all. I, personally, wouldn't call the Diamond Desk.
Completely agree. Being a Diamond doesn't entail self-entitlement for your errors.
Old Apr 16, 10, 9:39 am
Original Poster

I guess I usually stay at Hampton's and their policy is before 6pm the day of check-in. I now know that Hilton's policy is 24 hours prior. I just can't see them charging me when I was staying at another Hilton family property the same night??
Old Apr 16, 10, 10:22 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
Nicer way to do this

Most hotels would agree to changing the date to the next day without extra charge and the next call would be cancel the reservation for the next day.
Old Apr 16, 10, 10:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't think they should have refunded the money. You could have taken the 30 minutes trying to get them to do something they shouldn't have done and just gone to the right hotel.

Being a Diamond does not negate the policies of the hotel.

If you were to call the Diamond Desk, it should be to thank them for bending the rules for you.
Old Apr 16, 10, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Agree with the others. You have no real complaint as you were responsible for knowing your booking terms. And the problem was still resolved in your favor.
Old Apr 16, 10, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
If you were to call the Diamond Desk, it should be to thank them for bending the rules for you.

Exactly. I would be calling them to say how much I appreciated them taking care of this for me. They surely didn't have to.

Bobette
Old Apr 16, 10, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seychellesbound View Post
I just can't see them charging me when I was staying at another Hilton family property the same night??
Why not ? It can be you are paying for your friends and family staying at another hotel. You are staying at another Hilton family property the same night is not related at all, once it passes the 24 hours mark, no matter you are there or not, it charges for the 1st night.

Would airlines refund your ticket if you are no show for your flight ?
Old Apr 16, 10, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Originally Posted by b1513 View Post
Exactly. I would be calling them to say how much I appreciated them taking care of this for me. They surely didn't have to.

Bobette
Agree. The DD helped correct the OP's mistake. He created the problem in the first place by getting on the wrong shuttle and then not being willing to go to the correct hotel. Why is this a complaint? You (the OP) made the error!
Old Apr 17, 10, 8:17 am

You didn't get charged. What's to complain about?
Old Apr 17, 10, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
it was your fault that you got on the wrong bus....so the property was well within their rights not to refund your money....you got lucky that they did....
Old Apr 17, 10, 8:35 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, National Executive, SkyTeam Elite
agree. Feel fortunate they worked with you on this.
Old Apr 17, 10, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP sez he got a ""horrible experience (after his shuttle screw-up), didnt stay at the shuttle hotel, stayed at yet a third hotel but didnt take the time to call the original hotel until much later......................yet got his money back. I think he got a "nice experience" regarding this hotel adventure.

MisterNice

Search this Thread
Search Engine: