Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel Hopping - How do you do it?

Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:30 pm
alc
Original Poster

This question is actually for all Hotel Programs and not just Hilton HHonors, but since I am going with Hilton Promo in Q2, I thought I would post it here.

My question is for all of you that do Hotel Hopping to maximize your points, how do you do your hotel hopping?

For example, if there are 2 Hilton Properties at the city that you are travelling to, do you really just go to Hilton Suites for 1 night and then the Hampton for another and go back to Hilton for the last night within the same town? What about those where the Hampton and the HGI or Homewood are really just next to each other, do you still do it? I haven't been doing my hopping this way as I thought it kind of too obvious on what you are doing and it could be against some kind of policy of the program.

The only time I do hopping within the same city is if the properties are like 30 minutes part - i.e. one at downtown and the other near by the hwy entrance. My reason for that is that if someone does question me, I can say I need to get on the hwy early in the morning and want to avoid the morning downtown traffic.

With the way that I hop, I always need a 2nd program where I hop between programs. i.e. HH to IGH, then back to HH. Then no one can question me on anything as they do not know where did I go the night between the 2 stays.

I had been doing this way for the last 6 years, but with the Q2 Promo, I really want to max out the # of free cert every 4 nights.

Any comments from the group are much appreciated.

Regards,

alc

Last edited by alc; Apr 8, 2010 at 6:41 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by alc
For example, if there are 2 Hilton Properties at the city that you are travelling to, do you really just go to Hilton Suites for 1 night and then the Hampton for another and go back to Hilton for the last night within the same town? What about those where the Hampton and the HGI or Homewood are really just next to each other, do you still do it?
Yup. I've done it many times and there are no issues. Some of the hotel employees have caught on and get a good laugh out of it.

Originally Posted by alc
\I haven't been doing my hoping this way as I thought it kind of too obvious on what you are doing and it could be against some kind of policy of the program.
Nope, no issues against the policies. You're checking into two different hotels on consecutive nights, so you get full credit for both, no matter if they're 15 feet or 15k miles apart.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by alc

My question is for all of you that do Hotel Hoping to maximized your points, how do you do your hotel hoping?
Hotel runs is not meant to maximized points, it is about to add stays for the status. Just like airline mileage runs, we want EQM, not RDM, as we have so many ways to get RDM, but the easiest way to get EQM is to fly. It is EQM to get status, not RDM.

Originally Posted by alc
For example, if there are 2 Hilton Properties at the city that you are travelling to, do you really just go to Hilton Suites for 1 night and then the Hampton for another and go back to Hilton for the last night within the same town? What about those where the Hampton and the HGI or Homewood are really just next to each other, do you still do it? I haven't been doing my hoping this way as I thought it kind of too obvious on what you are doing and it could be against some kind of policy of the program.
Rarely the third night you go back to the first night's hotel, as by that time the 1st night's hotel would probably be more expensive than somewhere else, unless it is a out of nowhere HI. (Fri, Sat night are the cheapest, Sun back to weekday rates) Yes, we want stays credit, but not without the lowest money we spend. You have to think about we do hotel runs is for credit, not for luxury.

Originally Posted by alc
The only time I do hoping within the same city is if the properties are like 30 minutes part - i.e. one at downtown and the other near by the hwy entrance. My reason for that is that if someone do question me, I can say I need to get on the hwy early in the morning and want to avoid the morning downtown traffic.
Generally, hotel run is easier when it is airport properties, like think about how many Hilton family hotels in SFO ? And no, no one would question you about why you have all one night stays. The only problem you encounter is you have to keep packing and unpacking every single day.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I do it when I have the incentive liek such a promo now. I have an upcoming trip to London next week, and changed my 4-night stay at Hotel 1 to following pattern: Hotel 2 - Hotel 1 - Hotel 3 - Hotel 1.

I was thinking yesterday that in big cities with many propreties they could have a sepparate rate "hotel-hopper". It could be more expensive than a regular rate, but in the end give you the expected benefits. This would be cheaper for the hotel (lower running costs), but would generate a lot of discussion around the T&C.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
At the end of the month I am going to Mexico DF for 4 nights and I will be staying 1st night in Hotel Nr 1, 2nd and 3rd night in hotel Nr 2, and 4th night again in Hotel 1.
I could have done 4 different stays, but I considered it too much packing/unpacking.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, Air NZ Koru and TSA vilifier extraordinaire.
Mrs. dwcatty and I make many a weekend trip during the course of the year that consist of a stay in one property Friday and a second on Saturday in the same city (in our case Raleigh or Charlotte). Sure, we have to pack up and move every day, but it is not that big a deal on a trip like that. My friends all laughed until I told them how we are spending nine nights in Paris free on points.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
I routinely do this for three reasons... First, to gain # of stays when trying to advance status (I did this to get to diamond faster). Second, to gain the additional 1,000 points upon check in. Third, to maximize the free night promotions. I have not done the side by side hotel check in/out, as my most popular destinations do not have this luxury, but would if I could. I do, however, check in and out of hotels that are nearby. Because I am after the points, I only do this if I can get competitive rates at Hilton and Doubletree in the same city. Occasionally, I'll stay at a Waldorf and try to look for a Hilton Vacation Club (2,000 points on check-in). This strategy allowed me 3 certificates in Q1 and with some good planning, should get 4-5 in Q2. It seems kind of silly to ge throught the check in/out process, but ultimately worth the effort with the quarterly promotion payout.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I do this from time to time to maximize earnings (and stay based promos + status) Next week I have 5 nights in Japan, in 5 different properties in 3 chains
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:51 am
alc
Original Poster

Thanks for all the quick respond from everyone. What can I say, I love the power of flyertalk. I have this question in my head for many years and within a few hours, I got so many respond from the group already.

I do not feel as bad or as 'scare' about what I am going to do this Q2 with the Hilton Promo. I am trying to get as much cert as possible to use them in Hong Kong during X'mas this year. Had been reading the Conrad Hong Kong thread and had almost nothing but very good rating about the hotel. Also, I hardly can get Mrs. alc feel luxury about hotel that we stay during vacation and hoping she will like the Conrad Hong Kong. The only other hotels that she likes and actually tells me how much she like about it is Hilton La Defense and Hilton Auckland. All other places that I thought it is good, she just give me the "it is just like all other hotels" line.

For the few frequent places that I travelling to, there is almost always a Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites that is right next or across of each other. And at the city that I go to the most (London Ontario), for the same location, there is a Holiday Inn and Staybridge as well. So, I had been hopping HH to IGH to HH and back IGH hotels. And packing and unpacking become a "skill set" and it does help during vacation time too

I am currently targeting to get 7 to 8 cert from this Q2 promo. I now might be able to get up to 10 certs with this new hopping pattern.

Thanks again for all the respond.

alc

Last edited by alc; Apr 8, 2010 at 5:53 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I normally do two stays a week. One near work and then the last night I stay near the airport. It is an easy painless way to increase your stays.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
OP, you got it down exactly. I do it mostly for requal, not necessary for promos. Hopping starts to become a pain, but if you keep moving to new properties it keeps it fun and interesting as you get to learn more about hotels and how each one is good and bad.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:05 am

I do it all the time when I travel for work. I never have any problems with it and I always qualify for top tier with Hyatt, SPG and Hilton. In most cases you will maximize your bonus points by hotel hoping due to the fact that the bonus points are awarded on stays vs. nights. I am going to spend 20 nights on the road between April and May. If I were to stay at one Hilton property 10 days at a time, that will give me credit for 2 stays, 20 nights, and under the current promotion - 2 free nights. If I bounce back and forth between HGI and HI, I will get 20 stays (8 short of renewing Diamond), 20 nights, 5K LH miles for the double dip, and certificates for 5 free nights which I plan to use for a pleasure trip at the Waldorf in New York. For me that makes hotel hoping a no brainer especially since my negotiated rate with HI is $70 a night and for HGI $94.

This method works best with Hyatt and SPG who give out point amenities for each stay. This week I had to be in Indianapolis Sunday-Tuesday. So I did Sheraton, Westin, Sheraton. Based upon the current SPG 1k FT promotion it gave me 3K bonus points (1K per stay), 1.5K PLAT amenity (500 points per stay) and 3 stays towards my PLAT renewal on top of the points earned for the rate paid.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
OP, you got it down exactly. I do it mostly for requal, not necessary for promos. Hopping starts to become a pain, but if you keep moving to new properties it keeps it fun and interesting as you get to learn more about hotels and how each one is good and bad.
Yes, its usually about requal although the current 4 stay for 1 free is definitely an added motivator. In fact its incredibly convenient that maximizing for this promo maximizes requal progress as well.

Still - its a point builder too in a way. If your company pays for internet and/or meals then you can take bonus points/miles per stay along with each hop as well.

Lastly - price and convenience is definitely a factor as well. There are times when the nearest Hilton property to a given travel location is either too far from the work location and/or has a significantly higher rate. Sometimes you just get tired and wuss out on changing hotels every night. I know I've wussed out a few times on a 7 or so day trip. Sure I can get 7 stays out of it but repacking up, lugging the bag, and even the issue of baking the bag in the car trunk can get old. Sometimes its just too nice a thought to just leave it there for an extra night and be able to just come back to the hotel and crash after a long day.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Yup. I've done it many times and there are no issues. Some of the hotel employees have caught on and get a good laugh out of it.
The last promo I did the JAX HS and HGI, as they are physically in the same building. I was switching each night. On my last night when I told the check in desk what I had been doing, he said that if he had known that, I could have stayed in the same room, but they would have have alternated my nights between the two properties, so I wouldn't have had to keep switching, but still gotten credit for it.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
The last promo I did the JAX HS and HGI, as they are physically in the same building. I was switching each night. On my last night when I told the check in desk what I had been doing, he said that if he had known that, I could have stayed in the same room, but they would have have alternated my nights between the two properties, so I wouldn't have had to keep switching, but still gotten credit for it.
This is a fantastic MR.

In case the house-keeping of both properties was the same, the person in charge of it very likely though that you were insane(like many of us here ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.