FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Are upgrades a benefit at Homewood? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1067888-upgrades-benefit-homewood.html)

Points Scrounger Mar 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Are upgrades a benefit at Homewood?

I've stayed a few nights at a couple of their properties, getting exactly what I'd booked, and nothing more. Yes, I keep my My Way to points, not water/cookies.

Yesterday, I finally decided to push it, and after it was clear I was going to get the non-suite I'd booked, I asked "Do you folks ever upgrade Diamonds?" The startled clerk replied, "Well, let me check if I can do that for you." I mentioned that I put "please upgrade" in my reservation notes. The manager had poked his head out of the office a couple of times already (presumably not for my request). So, I asked if I could speak with him about their upgrade policy; the clerk agreed, and got him (she couldn't say he wasn't in). I mentioned to him that being greeted as an elite member is one of the followup survey questions; he asked her "Was his information (status) in the system?" to which she responded it was, whereupon he turned to me saying, "She is new" (or something to that effect). I then told him that in my experience most Hilton properties go through their upcoming reservations, to pre-assign upgrades. His reaction was something along the lines of "What a novel idea!" He did hand me a bag of water and cookies as a "goodwill" gesture.

The lock on my upgraded suite refused to work with either key, so I tridged back to the desk, where the manager defensively replied: "We have no way of knowing when the batteries on the door lock will die." I was given keys to a different suite instead (where the door opened).

They had at least two suites available, but weren't planning on upgrading me at all. I'm sure I came across as rather a pain to the staff, but was I wrong to feel frustrated?

travelinfoo Mar 27, 2010 1:59 pm

Yes, you were in the wrong.

You were asking for above and beyond. Upgrades are NOT a routine part of the HS benefits. The only thing your were entitled to was what you had reserved. They were being generous to you in upgrading you. You should NOT expect nor DEMAND this in the future. If it is offered, it is a good thing and a bonus.

That being said, if they gave you an upgrade, the keys should have worked.

Points Scrounger Mar 27, 2010 2:02 pm

I wasn't sure, so that's why I asked. My first (and last) "Can't an elite catch a break!" at check-in moment.

mnredfox Mar 27, 2010 7:41 pm

HS does not offer UG's per HH's official policy, but I've gotten some very nice upgrades to the super big suites when I ask nicely.

cblaisd Mar 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Ditto.

I've also had good luck at airport HS's on weekends of faxing a note to them mid-week and saying "I have a room booked at the ABC airport Hampton [usually, although on occasion an HGI] for this Friday/Saturday night for $X. but I would much rather stay with you if you could possibly a) match the rate, and b) upgrade me to a 1 bedroom"

In fact, I have never not been upgrade to at least a one-bedroom suite, but the "can you match the price" thing is handy when you know that an area is loaded with HHonors properties and that a certain time frame is very slow.

rayraf Mar 28, 2010 2:03 pm

I missed my flight last Thursday in Hartford, CT and had to get a quick room at the local Homewood Suites at the airport.
I was welcomed as a Diamond member and upgraded to a one bedroom suite when I checked in without hesitation or asking for it.
As I had a 6 AM flight the next morning, the desk clerk told me I would be leaving before breakfast would be available and she asked if I wanted a breakfast bag to take with me to the airport in the morning which I accepted. It was waiting for me at the front desk when I went there to catch the airport shuttle.
Nice touch!

jbcarioca Mar 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Nope! What is an upgrade in Homewood anyway; a move to HGI or Embassy Suites. :)

Points Scrounger Mar 28, 2010 2:22 pm

I had wondered about upgrading at brands where that's not mentioned specifically as a My Way option/benefit based upon mention in another thread that Hampton policy specifically prohibits upgrades on award stays; so, I had thought that perhaps Homewood does have an (internal?) upgrade policy (or at least a strong encouragement) for elites on paid stays, regardless of My Way?

"What is an upgrade in Homewood anyway"

In this case, I had booked a non-suite (regular old hotel room - no microwave, no fridge), asking if they'd upgrade me to a suite as a Diamond.

cordelli Mar 28, 2010 2:31 pm

No, upgrades are not usually a benefit at Homewoods.

That being said, I've gotten some great upgrades at Homewoods, usually to a two bedroom suite, which I've never really understood since each time I was traveling along.

Upgrades to suites are addressed in the terms and conditions:

Either upgraded accommodations (subject to availability and does not apply to suites) or an amenity at Hilton Family hotels, as determined by the hotel.

pmaddock Mar 28, 2010 9:36 pm

I've seen upgrades - usually to 2 brdm suites about 1/3 of the time I've been at Homewoods. Usually its a bit of a waste with just me but there's been at least 2 times where I had the family and it was most welcome.

Points Scrounger Mar 29, 2010 9:15 am

A followup question for you folks who get upgraded - do you ask, or are you saying that you are offered them by the management proactively?

ORDnHKG Mar 29, 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 13665542)

In this case, I had booked a non-suite (regular old hotel room - no microwave, no fridge), asking if they'd upgrade me to a suite as a Diamond.

Now that is very odd, you sure you are in a HS ? As even studio suite, it would still have a kitchen, that is standard amenity as a HS.

Originally Posted by pmaddock (Post 13667390)
I've seen upgrades - usually to 2 brdm suites about 1/3 of the time I've been at Homewoods. Usually its a bit of a waste with just me but there's been at least 2 times where I had the family and it was most welcome.

I agree, any upgrades at a HS is not really necessary, since even their studio suites are bigger than most other non-suite hotels. The only advantage for something bigger is when one has several people like a family or an extended stay.

Points Scrounger Mar 29, 2010 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 13669809)
Now that is very odd, you sure you are in a HS ? As even studio suite, it would still have a kitchen, that is standard amenity as a HS.

This Homewood property has actual "non suite" rooms (billed as such) - regular hotel rooms like you'd find at a (non suites) Hampton; they are rather small. Studio suites are the next, significantly more costly (to me on my own dime) step up.

cordelli Mar 29, 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 13669674)
A followup question for you folks who get upgraded - do you ask, or are you saying that you are offered them by the management proactively?

Always offered
Never asked for by me.

pmaddock Mar 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 13669674)

Both - although I've seen more where offered/pre-assigned than I've gotten by asking. As a general rule I almost always ask off-handedly (e.g. "Does Diamond qualify me for an upgrade?") and rarely push if I get a 'no' as I know its not a specific benefit at Homewoods. (In fact its really only space available at the properties where it is stated.)