Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Day in the Life of a FOM

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Loved your OP, HHGG - looking forward to more!

When you talked about the snow, I was pretty sure you were somewhere in the Hudson Valley. I don't think I've stayed at your HI, though, as all the GMs I remember were female (although it has been a few years since I've stayed up that way).

Glad you are getting rave reviews - keep up the good work!
Our GM two GMs ago was female.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard

The best thing I've taken away from all of this is the guest experience. I've been in a hotel room for a week and I've got insane cabin fever. It's definitely helped me relate to my guests a lot better... how the hell do you road warriors do it? I'm losing my mind!
Just finishing up 20 years of traveling self employment plus 10 more traveling for my former employer. What mind? It was gone long ago. Except the part I need to keep traveling.

Hudson Valley? One of the best Hampton Inns in the country is in Kingston. IMO.

But pleeeeese, no sat TV??? You have got to be kidding!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Well, uh... we were officially declared as being in a state of emergency...
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Well, uh... we were officially declared as being in a state of emergency...
Well, no SAT TV would qualify as an emergency in my book!

I hope you guys will be digging out soon. It sounds like you have everything under control. And, pretty please, no more cataclysmic snow. I will be visiting the Hudson Valley in two weeks.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Well, no SAT TV would qualify as an emergency in my book!

I hope you guys will be digging out soon. It sounds like you have everything under control. And, pretty please, no more cataclysmic snow. I will be visiting the Hudson Valley in two weeks.
Are you staying up in Kingston? Why don't you come a little further south towards I-84...
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Thanks for sharing this it was interesting, however what the hell is this?

-Swarm of people needing to sign swimming pool waivers
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davem4
Thanks for sharing this it was interesting, however what the hell is this?
Our indoor pool requires a special key which helps us to A) limit access to our guests only and not people looking for a free dip and B) ensures that everybody in the pool is aware of THE RULES. Before guests can have that key they need to sign it out and agree to our policies (no food and drink, must be of age) and the local board of health & safety's rules (must have proper supervision since there is no lifeguard, etc).
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Our indoor pool requires a special key which helps us to A) limit access to our guests only and not people looking for a free dip and B) ensures that everybody in the pool is aware of THE RULES. Before guests can have that key they need to sign it out and agree to our policies (no food and drink, must be of age) and the local board of health & safety's rules (must have proper supervision since there is no lifeguard, etc).
If its to control access from outsiders fine But seems like madness that people need to sign that they agree to the rules.

It should just be common sense to swim within your abilities and take care of children, however unfortunately its no longer survival of the fittest :-/
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:27 pm

Are you staying up in Kingston? Why don't you come a little further south towards I-84...
Yes, with a night next to ALB to catch first flight. I have work in Saugerties. With the past few weeks as an example, I run a good risk of having to drive in to work each day in a ELE snowstorm. I am trying to minimize the miles and time.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:33 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I'm so disappointed to see so little emphasis on customer satisfaction surveys and tripadvisor reviews.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

davem4 - Yeah, I hear ya... Dem's da brakes, unfortunately!

Beckles --- I'll start checking TWICE an hour.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You guys are terrific!

What is a DOS though?

Also, as Hilton is the only chain that actually forces its members to print out (and remember to bring!) a reward cert, what happens to the piece of paper afterwards? In this day and age you guys actually have to snail them back to corporate?
I know SPG does not. You just show up.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
With the reward certificates; I consider it to be like checking in for a flight without a printed copy of your e-ticket. 99% of the time you're not gunna need it ...

... then there's that other 1% of the time ...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Am I right to assume that there is enough snow left to annihilate the Holiday Inn guys?

What about the cheesecake challenge, is that still on?

(After some internettery, I now know where to stay if I am ever in that part of NY. I'm not a Pisces, so I should be fine. )

Last edited by Motorskills; Mar 3, 2010 at 11:11 pm Reason: wrong dessert, dammit!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Motorskills
Am I right to assume that there is enough snow left to annihilate the Holiday Inn guys?

What about the cheesecake challenge, is that still on?

(After some internettery, I now know where to stay if I am ever in that part of NY. I'm not a Pisces, so I should be fine. )
I just got really creeped out until I remembered that I posted about these things in the OP!

I wonder how you tracked me down... I didn't think I had anything identifiable in here... unless of course you pinpoint which towns in the Hudson Valley lost power... and then which Hampton Inn hotels in those locations are near a Holiday Inn...

PM me before arrival!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.