Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changed Pre-Point Devaluation Award Stay With No Increased Points Required

Old Feb 15, 10, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

The possibility of rebooking an award stay made under the "old" category/point structure to different dates without paying at todays rates may already have been reported elsewhere, but I wanted to share my positive experience that may be of help to others.

I made a 7-night booking at the Los Cabos Hilton on the last day that it was classified as a category 6 hotel using a GLONP07 award for 205,000 points. The reservation dates of the booking were 12/25/10 through 1/1/11. At the time of the booking, award flights were not yet available on AA, but I figured traveling on Christmas and New Year's day would provide the best opportunity for obtaining lowest cost award travel when my kids are out of school during the Christmas break.

Flights on AA during late December have been slowly becoming available, but tickets from RDU to SJD on 12/25 and returning on 1/1 have yet to be made available. I could, however, get tickets that had us arriving in Los Cabos on 12/21 and departing on 12/28.

The new classification and point structure for a 7 night VIP award at the Los Cabos Hilton costs 262,500 points. I called Hilton to find out the possibility of switching my award dates to arriving/departing 4 days earlier, fully expecting that I would have to cough up an additional 57,500 points. Much to my surprise, they were able to make the change with no increased cost in points to me. It seems this was only possible because my new dates overlapped with my original booking.

Keep this in mind if you have an award stay booked at the old rates that you would like to change without requiring expenditure of additional HH points.
Old Feb 15, 10, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Ditto for me for a stay at the Hilton Sydney - rushed the reward booking through the day before the points devalution then changed the date no probs..now got a confirmed Executive room with an NOR upgrade offer of the master suite for 200 Aus $ ...suite sells for over 2,000 $ ..might be tempted
Old Feb 15, 10, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Probably because you could keep the same cert, and just apply it to the changed reservation.
Old Feb 15, 10, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Probably because you could keep the same cert, and just apply it to the changed reservation.
It appears the key to being able to use the same certificate is that the changed award dates overlap the original award dates. If I had tried to change the award to 8 days earlier, I would have had to pony up the additional points. Not that I need to, but I wonder if I could call them in a week or so and change the dates again to 4 days earlier without incurring any additional points cost. If needing to change the award dates to something outside of the original start and end dates, it might be possible to stairstep the reservations backward or forward through multiple changes spread out over time.
Old Feb 16, 10, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
interesting....i don't need to change any reservations at the moment but this is good information in case i do....
Old Feb 16, 10, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
good to know as I booked last minute and don't have the flight yet and the odds of me getting there the exact dates of my award dates are slim.. however I should be able to overlap which would be nice if I could keep the pts at the pre-deval rate
Old Feb 16, 10, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Ooh, this is nice. Nice that HHonors will allow for some flexibility.
Old Feb 16, 10, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Very useful and relevant post for us given the phone call we received earlier today.

You can read our tale of woe here about Hawaiian Airlines changing their flights to PPT by one day on us.

Edited to add a question: OP, did you call the Diamond Line or the hotel directly? TIA, Fredd

Last edited by Fredd; Feb 16, 10 at 9:57 pm Reason: adding a question
Old Feb 17, 10, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for posting this. Could prove potentially useful for me re a minor change I might need to make. And, if this reflects a general policy for minor date changes, a big to HH.
Old Feb 17, 10, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Just called to change my reservation and confirmed with CSR, as long as I keep the same certificate and use at same hotel, there will be no additional points required.
Old Feb 17, 10, 11:06 am

Location: California; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite, Omni
Thanks Zink,

I was thinking that I was going to have to cancel a stay, due to a conflict, and then rebook using new dates/new redemption schedule. Now I'll try to make a change under the old cert. I can guess that while maybe Hilton doesn't want to get adversarial, aka petty, over changes, on the other hand they likely didn't want publish that certs can be changed and then have to deal with the fallout of folks making a bunch of semi-random reservations and then massaging them as needed.
Old Feb 17, 10, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
OP, did you call the Diamond Line or the hotel directly? TIA, Fredd
I called the general Customer Services number on the HH website (1-800-446-6677). I'm not a Diamond member, only Gold and only achieved that by upgrading to the Surpass card.
Old Feb 17, 10, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by zink88 View Post
I called the general Customer Services number on the HH website (1-800-446-6677). I'm not a Diamond member, only Gold and only achieved that by upgrading to the Surpass card.
Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 10, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zink88 View Post
It appears the key to being able to use the same certificate is that the changed award dates overlap the original award dates. If I had tried to change the award to 8 days earlier, I would have had to pony up the additional points. Not that I need to, but I wonder if I could call them in a week or so and change the dates again to 4 days earlier without incurring any additional points cost. If needing to change the award dates to something outside of the original start and end dates, it might be possible to stairstep the reservations backward or forward through multiple changes spread out over time.
Odd, seems like others can change dates that don't overlap but interesting data point.

Search this Thread