Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Dad taken ill - need to send proof to cancel booking??

Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Just want to run something by you.

I made a booking for the Double Tree San Francisco for one night in March. I booked online using an advanced rate booking so didnt pay much for the room, 60 I believe. This was booked a couple of weeks ago.

3 days ago my father was taken ill in hospital and as a result Im not going away now. I rang up DoubleTree to see if I can move the reservation to another date in the future (not that I have one, I was just seeing if this was possible) rather then lose the booking. I was told that because its an advanced rate nothing is changeable or refundable fair enough, I havent got a problem.....however, the agent went on to say that in order to get a refund on the room (he brought this up, not me) I would have to get a letter from the hospital to say that my Dad is in hospital. Now, Im not really bothered that Ive lost 60 on the room, as my dads health is more important, but I just found it strange that Hilton really expect me to go and get my dads hospital details and fax it over to them. Also, under UK Data protection law Im sure the hospital would struggle to give anything in writing in order to get a refund on a hotel?

Im not having a moan here, I just found this interesting.

Other comments welcomed.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:34 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
I hope your dad is ok now.

I am not sure about the laws in UK, but if the Hotel refuses to refund, then check with your Credit Card company. Many of them have travel inconvenience insurance..
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zaf
I hope your dad is ok now.

I am not sure about the laws in UK, but if the Hotel refuses to refund, then check with your Credit Card company. Many of them have travel inconvenience insurance..
Made the one mistake of booking with my debit card. Dont believe that this covers it does it?

Whats the travel inconvenience insurance?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I read lots of post from people with "buyers remorse" on advanced purchase rooms.
While I am very sympathetic to your personal situation and sincerely hope you father recovers well, I do not see where this is the hotels problem.
The fact they are willing to even discuss refunding it and have asked for some documentation seems more than reasonable. They could easily just say no
The hotels offer these prices for one reason, to secure business on slow times. The price tag that comes with it is that it is non-refundable.
Stop and think how many bogus claims or people attempting to cancel they would have if they were not strict on this policy. People would always book the advanced purchase rate and feel they could cancel.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by snapper6768
I read lots of post from people with "buyers remorse" on advanced purchase rooms.
While I am very sympathetic to your personal situation and sincerely hope you father recovers well, I do not see where this is the hotels problem.
The fact they are willing to even discuss refunding it and have asked for some documentation seems more than reasonable. They could easily just say no
The hotels offer these prices for one reason, to secure business on slow times. The price tag that comes with it is that it is non-refundable.
Stop and think how many bogus claims or people attempting to cancel they would have if they were not strict on this policy. People would always book the advanced purchase rate and feel they could cancel.
I agree with you. My personal experience is that the hotels are generally reasonable in order to keep the business. I make mistakes when I book these rates at times as I book 10-15 stays at a time and the past couple of times I've never had any problem with the hotel moving the dates for me. I must add that I frequent these properties so to them I'm a repeat customer and they also see my future reservations with them which is probably why they would rather not lose me and don't give me any hassle over this.

Beyond that, I think Hilton is being extremely reasonable to even agree to refund the stay.

So my question to the OP is what would YOU think is reasonable for Hilton to ask in order to, as a courtesy, cancel a non-refundable stay with plenty warnings re: no changes/cancellations before booking?

Would you still find it as strange had it been a 600 stay, or you would have been happy to have been offered a way out?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
I've had Hilton waive/forgive advance purchase reservations probably 3 or 4 times in the last few years.

Call the main reservations line again (not the hotel).

Good Luck and he's hoping for speed recovery for your father.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by snapper6768
+1

I only refunded a flight once since I was seriously ill (hospital). NWA asked me for a letter from my doc and I got one w/o any problem. In the end they didn't want it, but I was glad I had it with me.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Billiken
I've had Hilton waive/forgive advance purchase reservations probably 3 or 4 times in the last few years.

Call the main reservations line again (not the hotel).

Good Luck and he's hoping for speed recovery for your father.
On the contrary I believe its always best to deal directly with the hotel since Hilton reservations has somewhat listed powers with regard to prepaid stays. In fact on two ocasions I have been able to cancel prepaids after I have been told specifically by reservations to contact the property directly since they were unable assist.

mike
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
My question would be: what are we willing to pay for the hospital/doctor to write such a note? Sure, it may only take a few minutes, but all this stuff adds up and contributes one way or another to the cost of healthcare.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
My question would be: what are we willing to pay for the hospital/doctor to write such a note? Sure, it may only take a few minutes, but all this stuff adds up and contributes one way or another to the cost of healthcare.
I think hospital admittance papers would probably suffice. Besides, hospitals and doctor's offices are some of the most inefficient businesses around, 30 seconds to write a note for a patient would be lost in the mountain of inefficiency.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:42 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
On the contrary I believe its always best to deal directly with the hotel since Hilton reservations has somewhat listed powers with regard to prepaid stays...
My thoughts exactly.

But more importantly, SgtRyan, I hope your dad gets well soon!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
hey sgtryan....sorry to hear about your dad....hope it is nothing serious....you may want to try sending a pm to hhonorsrepresentative....she has been extremely helpful in the past & may be able to help you out here....
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
.however, the agent went on to say that in order to get a refund on the room (he brought this up, not me) I would have to get a letter from the hospital to say that my Dad is in hospital. Now, Im not really bothered that Ive lost 60 on the room, as my dads health is more important, but I just found it strange that Hilton really expect me to go and get my dads hospital details and fax it over to them. Also, under UK Data protection law Im sure the hospital would struggle to give anything in writing in order to get a refund on a hotel?

Im not having a moan here, I just found this interesting.

Other comments welcomed.
Most airlines require some sort of proof when applying for bereavement fares (though such fare are usually pretty pricey; but perhaps cheaper than full fare last minute). I would expect Hilton to require the same to cancel a prepaid booking... however, said letter need not be full of details.. it needs to say to whom it may concern, so and so is under my care at blank hospital. and list the dates. I've written many of these letters. No big deal, I am pretty sure no patient data is compromised (because at least in the US the patient is often listed in the registry; unless you opt out).
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81
I agree with you. My personal experience is that the hotels are generally reasonable in order to keep the business. I make mistakes when I book these rates at times as I book 10-15 stays at a time and the past couple of times I've never had any problem with the hotel moving the dates for me. I must add that I frequent these properties so to them I'm a repeat customer and they also see my future reservations with them which is probably why they would rather not lose me and don't give me any hassle over this.

Beyond that, I think Hilton is being extremely reasonable to even agree to refund the stay.

So my question to the OP is what would YOU think is reasonable for Hilton to ask in order to, as a courtesy, cancel a non-refundable stay with plenty warnings re: no changes/cancellations before booking?

Would you still find it as strange had it been a 600 stay, or you would have been happy to have been offered a way out?

Mate all due respect but did you read my post before you wrote that? If not let me re-write it again so that you understand;

I am NOT moaning or complaining about this at all. I dont care that I have lost 60. My point is that I find it strange that they asked me for that info. I would have thought that they would have just said sorry, youve lost your reservation and thats the end of it. But if this is normal practice then fair enough.

To everyone else, thanks for your concerns, hes alright and nothing to serious.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Hilton has usually been quite good with proper documentation (or else everybody reading this thread would call up and say their dad was in the hospital and ask for a refund when plans changed).

They will probably take something very simple like

To whom it may concern:

Mr John Smith is currently under my care at such and such a hospital at this time.

As long as it's on something official looking you will get the refund.

I don't believe they are asking for anything confidential or anything, it's not like they want to review the medical records.

I believe you will find it's quite a common occurance, a request like this for confirmation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.