Complaints: how long for a reply?

Old Feb 2, 10, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: A|Club Gold, HHonors Silver, TAP Miles winner

Hi everyone,

I had a lot of problems with getting a hotel to honor an AP rate during New Year's (basically, they didn't honor it) and have sent a complaint explaining what happened soon after we returned. I used the form on the Hilton website with the HH number. However it has almost been one month and I have not heard back from anyone. Is this common? Or is it possible that they simply ignored it? - I would assume a company like Hilton would at least send me a standard reply, even if they do not take any actions about what happened.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old Feb 2, 10, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, CO Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Resubmit it because they do have an automated process which acknowledges receipt of the request.

So you're saying the took your money via AP and when you showed up they said "either pay more or leave?"
Old Feb 2, 10, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Originally Posted by pcg2001 View Post
Hi everyone,

I had a lot of problems with getting a hotel to honor an AP rate during New Year's (basically, they didn't honor it) and have sent a complaint explaining what happened soon after we returned. I used the form on the Hilton website with the HH number. However it has almost been one month and I have not heard back from anyone. Is this common? Or is it possible that they simply ignored it? - I would assume a company like Hilton would at least send me a standard reply, even if they do not take any actions about what happened.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Try contacting the HHR on this board. From other posters report, they ar pretty good at resolving issues.

What do you mean about not honoring the AP? Did they try to charge you more for the room despite the advance payment? Do you have documentation that the AP was charged, i.e., the credit card charge acknowledgment and email confirmation of AP? Make sure you also read all the AP rate conditions as well. If you stayed in a resort that has a resort fee, that is not included in the AP and would be charged as extra as well as anything that was not specifically included in the price. For example, if you ordered champagne, not listed as part of AP, yes, charge is correct; if AP was only for room and you had NYE/NYD dinner/brunch, etc, yes charge is correct.

Make sure you have all the facts and documentation, including your final folio and the original reservation email, ready.

If you don't get a response from Hilton from any avenue and you truly did get charged a different room rate than what you had already paid for, you can always dispute the charge w/your CC. But you must have all documentation.
Old Feb 2, 10, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
If you don't get a response from Hilton from any avenue and you truly did get charged a different room rate than what you had already paid for, you can always dispute the charge w/your CC. But you must have all documentation.
Unless you initialed the higher rate upon check-in or otherwise accepted it.
Old Feb 2, 10, 7:22 pm

Programs: Elite on: UA and HH
From the limited reading I did on this forum, I thought complaints get sent to the hotel but seldom get replied to. I'd just call HHonors directly for a faster resolution.
Old Feb 3, 10, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
try sending a pm to hhonorsrepresentative....she has been very helpful to me a number of times when i had problems with hilton....
Old Feb 3, 10, 7:41 am

Programs: HH Gold
Is it a property perhaps that Hilton manages but doesn't own?

I had refund problems with a reservation in Cancun that I had switched from a one night deposit transaction to an AP for the whole 10 days. I couldn't get the deposit refunded on a timely basis and Hilton kept saying they had contacted the hotel to refund it and kept acting like a third party. I finally called the hotel accounting dept. directly and they confirmed that Hilton sends them deposit and AP money nearly immediately upon receiving it at the time of the reservation.

Hilton is not very up-front about hotels it doesn't own but has management contracts to run (like Cancun).

I have no idea if this has anything to do with the slow response you're getting after not receiving credit for your AP -- but thought I'd mention it.
Old Feb 3, 10, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I have contacted the HH representative at FT. Hopefully she can forward that to the competent people. Though I asked for a refund, I think I will now settle for an apology.

I understand your curiosity, but I was trying to be evasive, since I would prefer to report this after I hear back from customer service. I have not submitted a review of the hotel yet because I wanted to close the issue so that I could report it. But I am still upset about this, so I might as well vent a bit here!

In summary, I booked a reward night for the 30-Dec and and a AP Diner Breakfast rate for the 31-Dec-2009. I talked to customer service who handled this reservation and made it under the same confirmation number, I inquired if this would be a regular diner, etc. I checked with reception upon checking in on the 30-Dec that our booking included diner and breakfast for the 31-Dec, that this was a regular set diner menu, that our booking was for 2 nights.

I think that by now you've spotted potential problems and guessed what happened:

- the reservation print with the keys was only for 1 night, our key was reset after 1 night. But the people at reception sorted the problem.

- I checked again at reception about our diner arrangements on the 31-Dec during the day. By the time I went to diner, I was told by the people in the restaurant they had no indication that we had booked diner, and that there was no regular diner available.

But my main problem was that at the reception, for that particular shift, the person in charge was rude, denied I had pre-paid for diner and breakfast, even though several of his colleagues confirmed this on previous occasions. He did not believe me when I showed him the prints from the reservation or the online emails with the confirmations (I had to fetch my own computer and log in in front of him). He had the nerve to argue that a rate called AP Diner Breakfast, included neither diner nor breakfast. Only after I asked that he call the reservation line and I talk to them, and they talk to him, did he believe me. After a long long time, while my parents and husband waited in the restaurant while I handled this, all seemed to be sorted.
On top of that, the people at the restaurant then denied me the regular menu and I had to have the New year's much more expensive menu (which I had to pay for). The only thing I got was a discount equivalent to what I had paid for diner already.

Breakfast the following day? You guessed it, they had no indication we had paid already. But the people that morning were nice and quickly sorted everything out.

In brief this was a rate that was not honoured. But for me it was much more, since I have been travelling for many years and have never been treated like this. And how many more times and with how many different people should I have checked beforehand to prevent the problems I had?

End of rant!
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I have already been contacted by the HH representative and someone from customer service. I am impressed so far with how fast this was. Will update you on how the matter is handled.
Old Feb 3, 10, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold

Based on a post started today--Diamonds can expect responses anywhere AFTER two months.

Since you are a Silver--I would think at least six months....
Old Feb 4, 10, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM (Back to GLD for now)
OP -

(I assume English is not your native language), the word is "Dinner".

A "diner" is either:

a. A person eating a meal in a restaurant or cafe.
or
b. A roadside eating establishment.

I didn't have any problems reading your post, (I'm sure your English is far superior to my Portuguese) but thought you might want to know.

Good luck with Hilton in getting your issue resolved.

Obrigado,
- Plat
Old Feb 5, 10, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PlatAAagain View Post
OP -

(I assume English is not your native language), the word is "Dinner".

A "diner" is either:

a. A person eating a meal in a restaurant or cafe.
or
b. A roadside eating establishment.

I didn't have any problems reading your post, (I'm sure your English is far superior to my Portuguese) but thought you might want to know.

Good luck with Hilton in getting your issue resolved.

Obrigado,
- Plat
Thanks. You're absolutely right! For some reason I always have trouble with double letters in English. And now that mistake is all over my complaint...
Old Feb 9, 10, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Just some quick followup. The matter has now been resolved. I got the extra dinner cost refunded and an apology. I am pleased with the outcome. And according to the other reports, I should be extra pleased with how fast this was.
Thanks to everyone who helped and to HH representative who forwarded my complaint.

Search this Thread