FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton {US-NJ} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1043821-doubletree-hilton-hotel-princeton-us-nj.html)

NickND Jan 25, 2010 8:42 am

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton {US-NJ}

I have searched FT without much success. Does anyone have experience with the Doubletree in Princeton, NJ?

Hhonor Gguard Jan 26, 2010 12:41 pm

I worked there when it was a Radisson. From reading the reviews on TripAdvisor it looks like things are much better now!

GregJLee Jan 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Hello. I stay at this hotel 2 times per month as it's the nicest Hilton in town and just a couple bucks more than the Hampton or Homewood. Very nice rooms, decent restaurant, and easy to get in and out of.

PedroNY Jan 26, 2010 3:18 pm

The restaurant there "On The Bone" is not bad, but make sure you go to restaurant.com to get the coupons, you can get $25 certificates, it is great price with those discounts!

As a hotel, not too bad, right on Route 1, it is not in Princeton, it is a bit of a drive (maybe 5 miles) to actually Princeton University campus, etc. At least I think that's the DoubleTree you are talking about, pardon me if you there is another one in that neighborhood.

Best,

PedroNY

Critic Jan 27, 2010 12:11 am

I live in Princeton (although I have no experience with this hotel) - the Doubletree you're referring to is the only one in the vicinity.

NJRob Jan 27, 2010 8:20 am

A very nice refurbish job done on an older property with very efficient & helpful staff. The Exec Level (6) has a lounge only M-F morn. Needs more seating;) On the weekend as a Diamond I always get coupons for full breakfast in the restaurant "On the Bone" and sometimes drink coupons for lounge closure. Restaurant breakfast is the standard Hilton buffet setup, with made to order omlettes & excellent service.

The only downside is the location...further north of Princeton Boro & Twp in South Brunswick to be accurate. They claim to have shuttle on demand, but I would not rely on the availability. A car is mandatory as nothing of note is nearby.

Definitely a great bang for buck, especially on the weekends!

NickND Jan 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. I have never tried Restaurant.com - always been tempted to, but never pulled the trigger due to the many terms that often come with the certificates and the worry over having them accepted.

reiziger Feb 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Princeton, NJ

Anyone experiences with the Doubletree at Princeton, NJ?

I checked in after a long trip at 10:30PM and I was barely able to 'enjoy' dinner during a vacuum cleaning concert.

Is this part of the welcome committee?

InkUnderNails Feb 21, 2012 6:17 am

Originally Posted by reiziger (Post 18053285)

I checked in after a long trip at 10:30PM and I was barely able to 'enjoy' dinner during a vacuum cleaning concert.

The staff probably had a set time to clean up before closing. They may habitually do it every night and were oblivious to the situation. In these cases ask the restaurant manager if it might be possible to wait, and if not request that your meal be brought up as room service, without the service charges, of course. By requesting and offering a reasonable alternative, you then have a valid complaint if nothing is done. If you did not complain, they may not have realized it was a problem for you.

In a past life I used to be part of a crew that closed a restaurant. One of the goals, often incompatible with customers, is to have everything ready to go "lights out" as soon as possible after the "Closed" sign goes on the door.

Hhonor Gguard Feb 21, 2012 6:51 am

deleted, company policy

justspg Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am

Originally Posted by reiziger (Post 18053285)

probably just a 1-off, considering this hotel is #2 of 14 hotels in the area according to tripadvisor..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ew_Jersey.html

tcollins33 Feb 21, 2012 4:56 pm

I've stayed at this location several times and I've never had anything but a good experience. The only quirk I've had was when the person in the room above mine decided to do step aerobics or some odd exercise where they move concrete blocks at 5:30am. Not the fault of the hotel other than making me wonder how solid the floors are!

fligster Feb 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by tcollins33 (Post 18058523)
I've stayed at this location several times and I've never had anything but a good experience. The only quirk I've had was when the person in the room above mine decided to do step aerobics or some odd exercise where they move concrete blocks at 5:30am. Not the fault of the hotel other than making me wonder how solid the floors are!

I have also stayed here many times, mostly good experiences. Only bad experience was a fire alarm going off once at night, had to evacuate out front until the fire dept came. Will be there again next month.

stc May 6, 2012 8:58 am

The good - given full breakfast buffet as a Diamond in the restaurant (on a weekend - lounge closed). Also, the room as nice and fresh and the ac / heat worked.

The bad -

0) Almost forgot and this is probably the worst problem - Internet is unreliable - lots of resets which means I can't download my email. About 50% of pages need to be reloaded before they work.

1) the Full Breakfast Buffet was perhaps the worst hotel breakfast buffet I've ever had - certainly the worst in at a full service Hilton / Doubletree or even HGI. (All the food was dried out. Possibly due to it being 1 hour before closing and the restaurant being dead all morning. I couldn't even cut the pancakes with a knife. And it wasn't just the hot food. The pastries were dry and tasteless.)

2) Trash cans not emptied in halls / vending area. Trash (pizza boxes) all over the vending area.

3) Roof is leaking in the hall on 6 with a big trash can underneath it.

4) Lounge closed on weekends and even during the week, it is apparently only open for about 6 hours each day - i.e. no mid-day coffee.

I have another reservation at this hotel mid week at the end of the month. So, I'll probably give it one more try.

stc May 6, 2012 9:11 am

Originally Posted by justspg (Post 18055483)
probably just a 1-off, considering this hotel is #2 of 14 hotels in the area according to tripadvisor..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ew_Jersey.html

It's now #4 of 14 being beat out by a Hampton Inn (!), Holiday Inn (!), and Homewood Suites. I was even more surprised to find that the Westin (which I thought was better than the DT, the couple of times I stayed there), was #6.