Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AMEX Honors card - retention bonus successes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Has anyone ever attempted (successfully or unsuccessfully) to get a retention bonus from AMEX to keep the card?

I've had the platinum for about 2 years (surpass for about 8 months of that before I downgraded). Wondering if anyone has ever received a retention bonus/promotion. I tend to get denied, and out of principle cancel cards that I'd otherwise keep .
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Seeing it is a fee free card I doubt you will, but you aren't out trying. With Airline cards with a fee when I have cancelled before they have offered to waive the fee but I only got 1/2 mile per $ charged instead of 1 mile.

With the Citi Hilton Visa, I found out if you cancel the card and get a new one a year later you get the enrollment points again. I don't see any advantage to having the visa card after the enrollment points over the Am Ex seeing the points per $ spent isn't as good, other more establishments take Visa and not Am Ex.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Seeing it is a fee free card I doubt you will, but you aren't out trying. With Airline cards with a fee when I have cancelled before they have offered to waive the fee but I only got 1/2 mile per $ charged instead of 1 mile.

With the Citi Hilton Visa, I found out if you cancel the card and get a new one a year later you get the enrollment points again. I don't see any advantage to having the visa card after the enrollment points over the Am Ex seeing the points per $ spent isn't as good, other more establishments take Visa and not Am Ex.
Agreed, the only time i used the Visa was when a business didn't take the Amex (although I've since started using a different Visa rather than the 2 pts/dollar that Visa offers), or for the rare time when I actually book a hilton room (once or twice a year), as i think it's 6 pts rather than 5.

I think the hilton visa bonus offer is what, 15,000 pts? Now that I think about it, that's not even worth a hard pull anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.