Conrad Bali or Conrad Maldives

Old Jan 16, 10, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Conrad Bali or Conrad Maldives

Would like to ask FT members who have stayed at both the Conrad Bali and the Conrad Maldives which of the properties is preferred. Both look like they are world class hotels so I would like to ask about personal experiences at both of them.
Old Jan 16, 10, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the conrad bali is very nice but without a doubt, the conrad maldives is far superior....in fact, i would go as far as stating that the conrad maldives is probably the best hilton family hotel out there....

the only problem i have with the conrad maldives is that it is a pain to get there....you have to first get to male & then they have a 45 minute flight to rangali island....this flight will cost you $420 for a round trip....but once you are there it is paradise....
Old Jan 16, 10, 4:14 pm
Community Director

There is no comparison. Conrad Maldives. Simply amazing.
Old Jan 16, 10, 4:31 pm

Conrad Maldives is
But you can leave that resort island for a dinner so of speak. So it depends of what you look for
Old Jan 16, 10, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
How would folks compare Conrad Maldives to Hilton Bora Bora Nui?
Old Jan 16, 10, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Which airlines fly to male?

Ok, which airlines from the US fly to Male? Is there also only one airline from Male to rangali island?
Old Jan 16, 10, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo View Post
Ok, which airlines from the US fly to Male?
EK via DXB, SQ via SIN, QR via DOH, OS via VIE, UL via CMB to name just a few carriers service MLE
Is there also only one airline from Male to rangali island?
It's helicopter service.
Old Jan 16, 10, 8:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
Originally Posted by gleff View Post
EK via DXB, SQ via SIN, QR via DOH, OS via VIE, UL via CMB to name just a few carriers service MLEIt's helicopter service.
I heard there is a small sea plane that ferry's guests to and from the island 2x a day or so? The cost of the r/t is around $300-450 from what I have been told.
Old Jan 16, 10, 9:46 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bthobe View Post
I heard there is a small sea plane that ferry's guests to and from the island 2x a day or so? The cost of the r/t is around $300-450 from what I have been told.
Conrad Maldives uses Maldivian Air Taxi's seaplanes to transfer guests from MLE to the island. There are more than 2 flights daily coz I saw at least 4 landings/takeoffs one day. The seaplane transfer costs for 2010 is $425/RT.
Old Jan 16, 10, 9:50 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Ok, which airlines from the US fly to Male? Is there also only one airline from Male to rangali island?
You can also fly Kingfisher from MAA and some other Indian destinations.

Originally Posted by bthobe View Post
The plane is run by Maldavian Air Taxi and the hotel sets it up for you, the fare is $420/pp roundtrip. It runs as many times as they need to. When we were there in August, we saw 10 seaplanes one day and 2 on another, so it juts varries

EK via DXB, SQ via SIN, QR via DOH, OS via VIE, UL via CMB to name just a few carriers service MLEIt's helicopter service.
I'm not aware of helicopter service from MLE, just the seaplane.

BTW the hotel manager told us that they are building another arport withing about 30 minutes boat ride of the property, but not sure when it will open and if/who will fly there. If true will make things easier transport wise.

Oh BTW both are wonderful places, I loved Maldives better. But you need a small SBA loan to stay there .
Old Jan 17, 10, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rkaradi View Post
You can also fly Kingfisher from MAA and some other Indian destinations.
kingfisher does not fly to male....but air india does....there is one flight daily from trivandrum & a flight (6 days a week) from bengalooru....
Old Jan 17, 10, 3:08 am
cjd

British Airways also fly from London Gatwick to Male 3 times a week. Plenty of flights to London from US
Old Jan 17, 10, 10:39 am

Having just returned lastweekend from a trip to actually both of those properties...

They are two different resorts in different areas, that said, there's no comparison between the Maldives and Bali - on a geogaphic/location level. Bali is on a beach, and the Maldives is the beach on it's on island. While the hotels are both fantastic, there's something very special about the Maldives, that doesn't transend to the Bali property.

Also, as a quick side note - someone asked about helicopters in the Maldives. Helicopters, ultralights and microlights are all currently banned by the Maldivian government.
Old Jan 17, 10, 11:19 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY D, MR G, CC S, IHG P
I'm still in the planning stages for my trip to the Conrad Maldives, but I wanted to share some additional ideas about researching travel options, since IMO, it can be kind of daunting for someone (like me) who has no experience travelling to that part of the world, and therefore, was not familiar with the airlines, airport codes, etc. I don't mean for this to come across wrong or to make any assumptions about your current level of knowledge. I know the comments below will seem like basic knowledge for many participants on this forum but hope it might help someone who is new to this.

I like to use the ITA software tool (www.itasoftware.com) month long search whenever I start planning a trip, since it provides a good overview of price variability, number of stops, and different airports (useful when you are willing to consider several different airports near your home as a starting point).

I also found some good information on the FT forums in the more detailed threads about the Conrad Maldives:

1. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-reviews.html
2. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...li-island.html

The Male airport website also has downloadable schedule information showing airlines that serve MLE: http://www.airports.com.mv/

What works out best for you might be a lot different from someone else in the US, because everyone has different objectives and needs (cost, class of service, using or earning points on a particular airlines, stop overs, etc.) So, if you are planning your travel on a specific airline or alliance, you will find useful information in the airline specific forums too by searching on MLE.

Another factor that is important to me is flight times into and out of MLE, since the seaplanes to the Conrad only operate during daylight hours. Therefore, with some flights, you have to spend a night at a hotel in Male which is something I would prefer to avoid if possible.
Old Jan 17, 10, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
How would folks compare Conrad Maldives to Hilton Bora Bora Nui?
I'd be interested in this comparison also.

Search this Thread