Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors Program "Help the Earthquake Victims in Haiti"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAIR, HHONORS, M&M, F-B

Original Post: Jan 15 2010 4:09 pm

I just received an emailing from HHonors titled "Help the Earthquake Victims in Haiti with Your HHonors Points".

They go on to say that for 10,000 (Ten Thousand) points, they will donate $25.00 to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

I'm all for helping the victims in Haiti, in fact I have personally donated $150.00 to the Red Cross for Haiti Earthquake Relief... But this seems like blatant profiteering by HHonors to get points back at a greatly reduced value.

It makes me really angry that anyone would try to seize the spirit of humanity giving that people are showing torwards the Haitian people for selfish profit.

I am right now cutting up my HHonors card.....SNIP!

HHONORS - I AM OUT - I'll find a new hotel chain

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

Update: Jan 18 2010 17:30

So since I have already said that I am quitting the HHonors Program... It would be a total waste to throw out the points I have already accrued.

I have in excess of 60,000 points....So even though it really irks me to use the HHonors program to donate to the Haitian Earthquake Victims Relief, it would be stupid and even more beneficial to Hilton Corp to just abandon them.

So unless someone knows a better way to convert these points to cash (100% of which I will donate to Haitian relief charities), I will donate all of my points through this program. (60,000 points = $150.00)

There is real human suffering in Haiti and I encourage everyone to donate what you can afford in anyway you are able.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

Update: January 20 2010 - 16:50

Hilton has just pledged that as part of its point donation program, That they will match total member donations dollar for dollar up to $250,000 for Haiti.
This greatly improves the value of this program.
Please keep that in mind as you read through this thread.
This is now a pretty good way for HHonors members to do something to help the suffering people in Haiti.
I've decided to keep my membership, and donate all of my miles through this program.

Wozzy

Last edited by wozzy; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:13 am Reason: Added 2nd Update Jan 20 2010
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:16 pm

there are probably a lot of people with 10k left in their account that they would love to get rid of at the moment

and $25 to haiti is better than nothing.

so sorry I disagree!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:23 pm

Wow!

I also disagree with the original post. I'm happy to donate some of my points. I saw it as a creative way for people to donate to a cause. I can give more via my points than I can via my checkbook.

If you don't want to use your points, don't.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

I'm all for giving... But HHonors should have taken the high road and exchanged the points for a fair value. Wouldn't you rather donate $50.00 or $75.00 to the relief fund for your 10,000 points instead of giving half of it to the Hilton Corporation.

I really hope that HHonors decides to come clean and raise the exchange value to something more "charitable" and less "profitable".

-Wozzy
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It would be better to write a check to a charity helping out in Haiti and give your Hilton points to someone who is helping out in Haiti and needs a break for R&R.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:10 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The point of collecting hotel points for a savvy traveler is not to convert them to cash. HHonors allows the purchase of gift cards with points in the HHonors Shopping Mall at the rate of 50,000 points = $100, so it seems clear to me that not only is this an improvement in the redemption rate ($.0025 per point vs. $.0020 per point), but also in the minimum required. I just don't see this as particularly egregious, and quite frankly I don't see it as being more profitable than providing hotel redemptions, for which hotels are often paid a very small amount from HHonors.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by VA1379
It would be better to write a check to a charity helping out in Haiti and give your Hilton points to someone who is helping out in Haiti and needs a break for R&R.
The exchange rate that Hilton is offering for donation should be close to the rate at which they sell HHonors to us. So I agree with VA1379.

Last edited by sjuhawk_jd; Jan 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: NW, UA
stop crying.. no one is forcing you to donate the points. i, like others in the majority in the thread, am glad HH is giving us an 'option' to donate in the manner. if you gave $$$, fine. no need to boast how much you gave. the dramatic cynicism is already tiresome at post #1. blech.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
BW is doing the same thing. They are donating $20 for every 5,000 points you donate.

My recomendation is to directly donate to a relief effort like the red cross than use points, unless you have points you know you will never use.

10,000 hilton points are worth more than $25 and Hilton will get a tax deduction.

If you donate direct you get the tax deduction. You don't get the deduction by donating points.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
There is nothing in the e-mail that I received that said how the donated points are going to be used.

If Hilton is going to account for these points and actually use them to provide hotel rooms for Red Cross or other NGO volunteers who are directly working in support of the relief efforts, then the program is laudable (potential ^).

However, if this is just an opportunistic initiative to buy back points at a rate far below their fair value, and gain a little corporate PR benefit in the process, then criticism is warranted (potential ).

I do not know which to believe, absent data to work with.

Hilton could just as easily have sent out an e-mail with a link allowing the contribution of a cash amount via credit card.

Hilton could resolve this matter and stifle the speculation in this thread by providing a little transparency through posting here and explaining how the program is going to work.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:38 am
Original Poster

I had not considered that HHonors may be offering the 10,000 points to first responders or victims.

I just reread the announcement, it states "Hilton HHonors converts all donated points to cash"
Here is a link to the news release: https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/proces...ntlfedredcross

So it still appears to me that this offer is less than HHonorable.

I encourage everyone to help or donate to legitimate Humanitarian Relief Organizations
I recommend the International Red Cross, WorldVision or Doctors without Borders. I've researched all of these organizations and they are dedicated to their cause, and not wasteful with your donation dollars.

If the HHonors Program is the only way you are able to help, or if you have points that are going to waste... Go ahead and donate that way. It's certainly better than not helping at all.

My heart goes out the the people of Haiti. There will be much misery and suffering there for a long time to come.

Wozzy

Last edited by wozzy; Jan 16, 2010 at 9:42 am Reason: Modify Wording
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by worldexpress
stop crying.. no one is forcing you to donate the points. i, like others in the majority in the thread, am glad HH is giving us an 'option' to donate in the manner. if you gave $$$, fine. no need to boast how much you gave. the dramatic cynicism is already tiresome at post #1. blech.
To Wordexpress:
These forums are "civilized" way to discuss issues, nobody is forcing anybody to do anything. Do not try to kill the commentary most of us like to do in civil language whether you agree or disagree.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Beckles
The point of collecting hotel points for a savvy traveler is not to convert them to cash. HHonors allows the purchase of gift cards with points in the HHonors Shopping Mall at the rate of 50,000 points = $100, so it seems clear to me that not only is this an improvement in the redemption rate ($.0025 per point vs. $.0020 per point), but also in the minimum required. I just don't see this as particularly egregious, and quite frankly I don't see it as being more profitable than providing hotel redemptions, for which hotels are often paid a very small amount from HHonors.
But this is charity. It takes $1,000 to earn 10,000 Hilton points (if exclusively earned through hotel stays) and now they've valued it at $25. The .......?

American Airlines, on the other hand, is offering to give miles miles in exchange for donations to disaster relief. Personally, I give a 4 figure donation annually to the Jesuit Refugee Service specifically because of the work they've done for Haitian refugees on the Haiti-DR border. In my opinion, this equates to another $1,000 donation, only the actual worth is $25. I spent time and money earning those points so I want to redeem them with a hotel stay. Why not let me donate to the Red Cross on behalf of Hilton and get points in exchange? I'm more than happy to donate money, and I will donate additional money, but my ........ meter went off the charts when I got this e-mail
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:33 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I am praying for all of the earthquake victims.

This is the worst thing I have evers een in my life.

My heart breaks for all - especially the little children....

As far as Hilton is concerned, I think their recent point devaluation scheme speaks for itself.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
First let me mention how Marriott Corp, led by the legendary Bill Marriott, handled the Haiti crisis (below is a click through to another post, referencing a $0.5 million donation).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-donation.html

Let's now contrast Hilton's response.

When I first got the email "Help the Earthquake Victims in Haiti with Your HHonors Points", I thought this is a wonderful opportunity to donate nights to victims or relief workers at realistic values.

Reality set in quickly when I read what Hilton was really offering.

In pure dollar terms Hilton is saying "we sell top off points to our guests for at least $10/1,000--and then buy them from our guests for one quarter of that amount".

Just another example of how Hilton is really becoming increasingly pitiful.

In this case, exploiting a humanitarian crisis of epic proportions to clean up a liability for a fraction of what it's worth.

Another reason we need to take our business elsewhere.....

PS I simply sent cash throught one of the organizations promising that 100% of donations will to go to the victims. No need for a slimy middleman.

Last edited by travelexpert; Jan 17, 2010 at 1:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.