Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2010 Delta SkyMiles or 50% Honors Points

Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold, marriott silver

My wife is a diamond member and we are trying to figure out which is better on a three night stay?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: SQ Silver; HH Diamond; UA Premier Plat
I think the answer to that depends which option is more valuable to you. In other words, which currency do you currently need more?

It's really difficult to compare the two options, as the exchange rate of HHonors points to SkyMiles is 10:1.

If you're worried about the recent devaluation of HHonors points, and your daily hotel rate is high enough, the 50% Diamond bonus on base points could help you add to your HHonors balance.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I never choose airline miles for anything. Delta is the worst as for devaluing them, so I never hold miles other then what I earned by flying.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by halifaxflyer
My wife is a diamond member and we are trying to figure out which is better on a three night stay?

Thanks for your help.
Before you spend too much time agonizing over your choice, make sure the specific hotel is participating in the Delta 2010 promo. For instance, when I plugged in the location of the hotel I'm staying at next week, the particular hotel I reserved is not among the hotels that are listed as options for the Delta promo. That makes my choice easy!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I used to get the miles (on NW) but switched early in 2009 to get the extra HH points. I figured they were worth more to me than the miniscule number of airline miles you get from stays.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)

Thanks for your help.
I just did a three night state w/ the 2010 Delta points bonus and also got the usual Hilton points plus the normal double dip.

You do have to register for the 2010 bonus though.

Bob H
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
i think it also depends on the rate you booked.

Another thing I want to mention is that if you pick to earn miles, wouldn't you earn more than 2010 miles? It should be the 500 minimum or flex miles 1 mile/dollar plus the 2010 miles. That's a minimum of 2500 miles. Personally I will take that than the 50% of bonus mile (If the rate is $1000 for three night, it translates to 5000 bonus miles vs 3010 Delta miles)

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, US Air Gold, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I moved away from Skymile points about 2 years ago. Delta has devalued them quite a bit and I found that annoying.

Given that fact, I also found that for my trips the hotel is always the biggest expense.

You can get a fairly cheap ticket to alot of places in the world, but an expensive hotel is just about always expensive.

For example, if you go to Italy for 2 weeks and stay in a hotel that is $200 per night that's $2,800. You can probably find 2 tickets to fly over for around $1,000.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold, marriott silver
Thanks everyone

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses. We have a room rate of $101/per night. To me, it's close to a toss-up of what to select.

I really appreciate the input. You flyertalkers are great!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by BobH
I just did a three night state w/ the 2010 Delta points bonus and also got the usual Hilton points plus the normal double dip.

You do have to register for the 2010 bonus though.

Bob H
Just curious if you received any sort of confirmation about your stay qualifying for the bonus or whether the 2010 bonus points posted already. According to the T&Cs of the offer, the bonus points are not supposed to show up until several weeks after the promotional period ends. If the bonus points are showing up sooner, I might do a "trial" stay (the hotel I use for my regular business travel is not listed as a participating hotel, and without the Delta bonus points, "points and points" is a better option for my situation). Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite

Thanks for your help.
If you assume a Hilton Hhonors point is equal to one-half of a Delta Skymile ($0.005 per HH point vs. $0.01 per Delta Skymile, which is the consensus of MOST frequent travellers), then you have to receive more than 5,020 HH bonus points (the additional 50% bonus) to earn the equivalent of 2,510 Delta Skymiles. That's an average daily room revenue per 3-night stay of $335. If your rate is under $335, go for the Delta Skymiles. I chose Delta Skymiles on a 4-night stay with a daily rate of $64 per night and came out way ahead.

DELTA DOUBLE DIP 500
DELTA Q4 OFFER 2,010
Base Points 2,635
DIAMOND VIP - 2009 1,317
AMEX COBRAND BKG BNS 500
Total Points for Stay: 4452

Had I chosen Points & Points, I would have received an additional 1,317 points, worth $6.59 vs. 2,510 Delta Skymiles, worth $25.10.

Last edited by DCBob; Jan 16, 2010 at 11:37 am
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by needtoescape
Just curious if you received any sort of confirmation about your stay qualifying for the bonus or whether the 2010 bonus points posted already. According to the T&Cs of the offer, the bonus points are not supposed to show up until several weeks after the promotional period ends. If the bonus points are showing up sooner, I might do a "trial" stay (the hotel I use for my regular business travel is not listed as a participating hotel, and without the Delta bonus points, "points and points" is a better option for my situation). Thanks!
The 2,010 bonus points show up the same week as the other points for the stay.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:34 am

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses. We have a room rate of $101/per night. To me, it's close to a toss-up of what to select.
Huh? You would rather have 1,515 HH points than 2,510 Delta points??? It's not a toss up unless you will never fly on Delta or its Skyteam partners.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Delta 2010 promotion ending date question

I am registered for Delta 2010 miles promotion and had my first bonus miles posted . Now I have a question regarding an upcoming stay: Three nights stay with Feb 28 checking in. Will that also earn the bonus mile? The promotion ends on Feb 28. Will that be check in date, check out date, or post date?
Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:11 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by travelmi
I am registered for Delta 2010 miles promotion and had my first bonus miles posted . Now I have a question regarding an upcoming stay: Three nights stay with Feb 28 checking in. Will that also earn the bonus mile? The promotion ends on Feb 28. Will that be check in date, check out date, or post date?
Thanks!
Hi travelmi,

After reading the T&Cs it seems like the stay must be completed by 2/28, but I will check and let you know tomorrow.

Thanks,

Andrea (HHonors Representative)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.