FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   What's my second best option? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1039708-whats-my-second-best-option.html)

jdproctor Jan 14, 2010 4:05 pm

What's my second best option?

I wanted to use my points (before tomorrow) to book the Conrad Maldives for my anniversary next year (January 3, 2011). However, the hotel is currently unavailable. I'm considering the following options:

1) Go ahead and use the points for a GLON at Seychelles or Mauritius
2) Hang on to the points, incur the devaluation, and hope for something to open up on the Maldives.
3) Use the points in some other way (open to suggestion)

I have 235k points.

What would you do? (I realize that this is largely a matter of preferences, I'm just interested in how other people would handle this.)

SimpleManToo Jan 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Here are a few options

To name a few:

Conrad Bali

Hilton Bora Bora Nui or Moorea Lagoon

Fiji Beach Resort and Spa

Caledonian Hilton Edinburgh Scotland

Hilton Whistler resort and spa

Hilton Phuket Arcadia & spa

FlyingDoctorwu Jan 14, 2010 4:17 pm

I would say go ahead and book the Seychelles or Mauritiues...
If availability at the Conrad Maldives opens, then cancel award, get points back and suck the devaluation....

Worse comes to worse you have an awesome tropical vacation.
FDW

KiwiQ2002 Jan 14, 2010 4:35 pm

the Hilton Rangali & Iru Fushi Resort & Spa are both available thru 12/30. What about going a week early?

We were looking at Rangali also, but not sure about the flight time from ORD. Opted for Moorea instead over Thanksgiving.

jdproctor Jan 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by KiwiQ2002 (Post 13182655)
the Hilton Rangali & Iru Fushi Resort & Spa are both available thru 12/30. What about going a week early?

We were looking at Rangali also, but not sure about the flight time from ORD. Opted for Moorea instead over Thanksgiving.

I thought about the Iru Fushi... we'd really like to go on the anniversary date though.

We just returned from Moorea. Enjoy!

travelexpert Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Seychelles all the way.

The accomodtaions are just AMAZING. All ocean view, all same size, I believe.

Great breakfasts, too (hot and cold buffet).

Only downside (other than getting there!) is the small pool.

Probably the best Hilton experience we have ever had--and we've tried an incredible number!

jdproctor Jan 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 13184508)
Seychelles all the way.

The accomodtaions are just AMAZING. All ocean view, all same size, I believe.

Great breakfasts, too (hot and cold buffet).

Only downside (other than getting there!) is the small pool.

Probably the best Hilton experience we have ever had--and we've tried an incredible number!

We ended up booking 7 nights on Seychelles. Thanks for the info!

travelexpert Jan 16, 2010 8:24 pm

If you can do some extra nights beyond the 7, add Praslin and La Digue to your itinerary.

PM me of you have questions about getting there, what to do etc.