Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton New York Grand Central {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton New York Grand Central {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:08 am

It is a full breakfast. Bacon and all!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nekbet
It is a full breakfast. Bacon and all!
Sounds good! Thank you!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here is a stay report from 2/9-2/10/13

Location: As I was attending a birthday party on 39th and 3rd, this hotel was perfect. It's in a nice area, very close to the UN and a two block walk from an entrance to the Grand Central Terminal subway station. There's also a 24 hour CVS on the corner which can be a real life saver. Plenty of restaurants are nearby and thanks to it being near the Israeli Consulate, plenty of cops too.

Hotel: The building is of an odd design, a tall, skinny brick building directly abutting another office building. It's quite nice inside though, an inviting lobby with modern furniture and fixtures and a expensively lit bar area with attached large restaurant. Upstairs the corridors are winding and narrow and feel very European/boutique-y.

Check-In: I checked in as the BA flight crew was checking out, I'm usually happy with a place if a flight crew uses it. The agent on duty offered me a choice of bonus points or a breakfast (I took breakfast) and gave me a piece of chocolate for being an HHonors member (bonus!). No offer of an upgrade and I didn't ask.

Room: My room was a Queen bed on the 13th floor and it was definitely on the small side. As you can see by the picture the room was dominated by the bed and there wasn't much room to maneuver around it. There was a nice new television and a fairly worthless chair in the corner though. Luckily, the closet was full sized and the highlight was the fancy bathroom with oversized tub.

Breakfast: As a Gold I was able to enjoy a full buffet breakfast in the lobby restaurant. Cold options were fruit (pretty tasteless), yogurt, pastries, cereal and other breads. Hot options were scrambled eggs, egg fritatas, sausage, bacon, potatoes, oatmeal and turkey sausage. Overall it was pretty good and service there was excellent.

My AAA rate was $170 and I would probably stay here again, especially if I had to be around the area.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Good treatment as a diamond

I normally stay in the Times Square/HK or the Chelsea/Fashion district hotels in NYC but stayed here last week since I needed to be near 2nd Avenue.

Older hotel but nice.

VERY impressed with my treatment as a diamond. I was upgraded to a Jr. King Suite. Based on the small size of the suite, I can imagine a regular room being very small.

Breakfast was good. Was a voucher for a buffet that included hot items as well, and I believe that is the same breakfast golds also receive.

No lounge, but was given two drink chits. I would rather have a full breakfast buffet and two drink chits than a lounge anyday in NYC. I was travelling by myself and am only requested on coupon for each day. I am not sure if I would have received the drink coupons if I would have requested two breakfast coupons everyday or if I was a gold. Regardless, nice bonus.

No problem with a late checkout. I requested a late checkout and was told they could do up to 4 p.m.

If I need to stay in this area again and can get a good rate, I would definitely return.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:22 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Staying here this coming weekend 5/18 (one night). There must be something going on in town because HH, SPG, and Marriott properties are all either sold out or very expensive (like $500+). I have a corporate rate that gave me $279 at this hotel in either a Queen standard, or King accessible.

I chose the King Accessible, but noted in the comments that I do not require the accessible feature of the room, so hopefully an upgrade of sorts will come through.

Any recent experiences here in terms of Diamond treatment?

Their web site seemed to indicate only valet parking is available at $51/day. Luckily after 7pm on Saturdays, a lot of street spots are free all the way until 7am Monday morning, so we'll time our arrival accordingly.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
Staying here this coming weekend 5/18 (one night). There must be something going on in town because HH, SPG, and Marriott properties are all either sold out or very expensive (like $500+). I have a corporate rate that gave me $279 at this hotel in either a Queen standard, or King accessible.

I chose the King Accessible, but noted in the comments that I do not require the accessible feature of the room, so hopefully an upgrade of sorts will come through.

Any recent experiences here in terms of Diamond treatment?

Their web site seemed to indicate only valet parking is available at $51/day. Luckily after 7pm on Saturdays, a lot of street spots are free all the way until 7am Monday morning, so we'll time our arrival accordingly.
I stayed there last year and they left a nice plate if fruit and cheese and a small bottle of wine. It was unexpected and appreciated, as I rarely get something like that at Hilton's in the U.S. I haven't stayed there enough times to know if this is a regular thing for Diamonds.

The rooms are okay but not great, but not too bad.

I stayed at the HGI Times Square this week. Rates and availability were really rough.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Had a very nice stay here this past week. I got a MVP rate of $175. Since it was my wife, son, and me, I called prior to arrival to ask about any upgrade possibility and was assigned a nice junior suite which had a queen bed and in the sitting area a sofa bed, # 1815. It was cozy, not overly crowded. The bathroom was ample, with a shower/tub combination that had a jacuzzi in it, and there was a bidet next to the toilet. It also is the room that has access to the roof-top patio that is featured on the hotel's website and overlooks Tudor City and the East River in the background. It wasn't of much good to us since it was 14 degrees when we were there but I wanted to post this info for anyone who might want to ask for it during warmer weather.
The hotel is actually 2 separate wings, each with its own elevator. It is basically L shaped and wraps around the old church next door. Room 1815 is in the the rear portion and has windows that look out towards 42nd St but looks over the roof of the church so it isn't right on the edge of the street and street noise wasn't a factor. Also there are only 5 rooms sharing the elevator on that floor so there isn't a lot of hall noise.
As others have mentioned there is no EL and breakfast for Diamonds is in the first floor restaurant. You just give your room # to the server. The 3 of us were given the full buffet, no extra charge. While it is quite good, there didn't seen to be any variety at all. so it might get 'old' after a few days.
There aren't a lot of restaurant choices in the immediate area, although there is an Irish pub style restaurant on the corner and a branch of the venerable Patsy's Pizzeria on 2nd Ave and a Pret a Manger on 42nd St halfway between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. Grand Central Terminal is an easy 2 block walk away which gives you transportation choices galore.
We were very satisfied with the hotel and its personnel and would highly recommend it.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Smile Very low X-mas Rate at HILTON MANHATTAN EAST!

Very low X-mas Rate at HILTON MANHATTAN EAST!
I booked this room at $111 at dec 26 2015!
MVP Code:N0041604
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new...DHF/index.html

Cancellation Policy
If you wish to cancel, please do so 1 day prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties.

Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:52 am

This property often has very low rates compared to other Hilton properties in NYC. Not surprising to see a good one pop up.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: HH Gold
This property has tiny rooms, quirky though.

Much prefer the Hilton Times Square.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I actually had the room which has the balcony shown in the photo, I think they classified it as a junior suite. It was a little small but felt very cozy, I liked this hotel overall.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by comper
This property has tiny rooms, quirky though.

Much prefer the Hilton Times Square.

This hotel is one of those that often does have the best pricing but I have not stayed here yet precisely because all reports indicate the rooms are tiny and it is definitely an older building. It seems the only thing that would make this hotel worth it is if you got one of the suites with a balcony/terrace.

Totally agree with you on Hilton Times Square. That is the Midtown Hilton property that I have enjoyed the most (I still prefer the Conrad over all but that is definitely not Midtown).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Question - Has anyone stayed in the one bedroom suite with balcony (not the junior suite with balcony)? I saw it pop up for an MVP rate of $263 for a midweek rate and I figured the one bed suite aspect would help negate the smaller room characteristic. The location of Tudor City appears to be one of the quieter ones in Midtown so I am assuming noise is not as much an issue as with many Midtown hotels
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Currently at this hotel. It's one of those $500+ weeks in Manhattan, and this was the only HH, MR, HY, or SPG that had anything in the $300 range.

I actually like the vibe of the hotel, but I realize it's not for everyone. It has a bit of a midrange, older European boutique feel to it...*not* the upscale or hipster boutique feel that so many of the newer "unique" hotels within the big brands have now. If you're looking for the finer details that a large Hilton or Conrad would have - the touches and trimmings that an upmarket hotel would have - this isn't your place.

Anecdotal observation through 1 day is some international clientele and mostly business clientele. The hotel isn't big enough for a huge school group or convention, and it's a little off the beaten path for the typical Times Square tourist. That gives it a quieter feel and contributes to the feeling that the hotel could just as easily be in a London neighborhood.

I did OLCI and selected 1603. I checked in at midnight and got 1603. I was told the hotel was sold out. Traveling solo, arriving at midnight, I didn't ask any further questions about upgrades.

The 01-05 rooms are their own mini-wing of the building. I was expecting a tiny room, but I'd say it's functional for one to two people...serviceable for my needs and not unusual for Manhattan. 03 is a corner room with two windows, although this doesn't make the room any larger. Just a bit brighter perhaps.

The room is quiet. No issues with street noise or hall noise. The room is a tad on the spartan side and a tad worn, but everything is in working order. Wifi signal is strong. There's a wired Internet connection as well, but I haven't used it. My room has one queen bed: from looking at the OLCI map, it seems that this hotel has a *lot* of queen beds and perhaps fewer kings, thanks to the smaller and oddly-shaped rooms.

Breakfast for Golds/Diamonds is still a full buffet...actually a pretty good one in the grand scheme of things. No vouchers anymore: you just give 'em your room number. Even though the hotel is sold out, the breakfast room was not crowded at 7:30AM.

I chuckled at the original description of the hotel as being anchored by GCT and/or the U.N. building. It obviously is not - that would be physically impossible - and while it's roughly between them on the map, neither are so close as to create a noise or traffic issue around the hotel.

So far I'm pleased with the property. Perhaps tonight I'll see if the lobby bar has any life to it...
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Update: HiltonHotelsFanclub will do an review from 26-Dec- 1 Jan.
Pics etc will be posted between 26-1 Jan
Greetings and keep you updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.