Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do the Q bonuses alter your Hilton activity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:11 am
Original Poster

A few years ago I shared some emails with a Hilton executive. Some of our online conversations were centered around my question, "Why are Diamonds not offered any bonuses?" At that time, the only bonuses reported here at FT were those targeted to those with lower or no status.

The reply I received was similar to "It's Hilton's current marketing plan to target those who have stopped staying with us or only use us sporadically. The consensus is that Diamonds don't need any extra incentives to motivate them to stay with us."

Recently, we have witnessed quarterly bonuses that are opened to all. In reality, since diamonds have more stays, these bonuses now seem to reward the Diamonds more than any other group. It got me to thinking, do these Q bonuses work? Do they alter our behavior?

When I consider 2009, I can say that the HH bonuses did affect my stays. I purposed some extra stays during the Delta bonus time, I added two extra stays this month (my last one tonight)to make another 25K and I'm already planning on earning at least 5 certs for the Q1 bonus.

So, to spite the points devaluation, have or will these bonus programs positively affect your HH activity?

I also wonder why Hilton changed their marketing plan. Were they worried about defections, or was it simply trying to match what their competion is doing?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jabez
So, to spite the points devaluation, have or will these bonus programs positively affect your HH activity?
Yes. I like Hilton properties. They are convenient for me for work and I can get the state (government) rate when I travel in most of the areas I go. Then I can redeem points at some great locations on vacation (see: ADT for a week in Paris).

I added one stay I did not need, spending 10,000 points to earn 25,000 points, for my 4th stay this quarter. I have three nights planned right now in Q1 and would most definitely do a mattress run on a 4th night if the result is a free night coupon I can use at the Triannon Palace. So yes, these promotions do cause me to alter my plans.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jabez
It got me to thinking, do these Q bonuses work? Do they alter our behavior?
Of course they do. I book almost only with these hotel chains which offer the best value for me. Right now, it is clearly Hyatt
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
My father and I are both Diamonds and we both booked extra says just for the Q4 promo.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
My main focus each year is getting the 28 stays to retain Diamond status. Overall, that's the primary motivation for choosing Hilton properties. Apart from that, two things really affected my behavior...

1. Rate specials. The Asia 2-for-1 special this summer and the Visa 25% off promos yielded some very attractive "too good to pass up" rates. I know a stay at the Hilton San Francisco would not have happened if I had to pay a more "normal" rate. (However, even with the low rate I got I probably would have stayed elsewhere if I had to do it over again.)

2. The Q4 promo will definitely get me to do one more stay than I would otherwise have done, as it will get me the 25K bonus for every four stays. I got the 25K for my first 4 stays and this extra one would be number 8.

The promos where they simply throw more points at you for a stay are nice but as a motivation to stay at a HH property or not they are secondary to the factors above. The Q3 bonus theoretically rewarded the number of stays but the actual points you got was fairly small and the list of participating properties was limited.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Yes. I did an extra stay to qualify for a second 25K bonus.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by Uniter
My father and I are both Diamonds and we both booked extra says just for the Q4 promo.
Me too. 1 night away from 3x of the 25,000 bonuses.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I have made one extra Q1 booking with Hilton due mostly to the Q1 bonus; more may follow.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, USAir Silver, National Exec Elite
Yep, that Q4 promo had me hustling to get those points. I sent the link to all my diamond friends and I think everyone made their 75,000 points. I am not happy about the point devaluation but it is what it is. I hope they keep those promos coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.