Charging for toothpaste now?

Old Dec 2, 09, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Charging for toothpaste now?

I'm staying at a Hilton Garden Inn and they decided to charge me for toothpaste. They don't have any of the small disposables. I'm guessing the reason for this is that they have a pantry and want to charge people for this. Any other people running in to this? I know times are tough, but I'm hitting diamond about twice over this year. I might cancel my stay in SFO today as a result.
Old Dec 2, 09, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
I'm staying at a Hilton Garden Inn and they decided to charge me for toothpaste. They don't have any of the small disposables. I'm guessing the reason for this is that they have a pantry and want to charge people for this. Any other people running in to this? I know times are tough, but I'm hitting diamond about twice over this year. I might cancel my stay in SFO today as a result.

Höhöhö, brother, they got ya

Last week in Las Vegas, I did not in a single hotel get sleppers for free and neither did I get shower lotion. Nope, nope, nope.

Seems to be the case with tooth paste now.
Old Dec 2, 09, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
I've never assumed free toothpaste was included at any hotel. It is nice when they have it for free on the rare occasion I forget it (the Ziploc bag rule from TSA has actually made this less of an issue since I keep my liquid toiliteries in there at all times now) I appreciate if the hotel has complimentary toiliteries, but lacking that I'd be happy if they have it conveniently located in the pantry. In addition, an HGI is not a full-servie property that I'd necessarilly expect to provide such complimentary toiletries, especially since they do offer a pantry.

Call me crazy, but I can't imagine changing my hotel preferences over toothpaste ...
Old Dec 2, 09, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
Call me crazy, but I can't imagine changing my hotel preferences over toothpaste ...
+!^

My dentist office gives me all of the little tubes I want every time I go in for a checkup, so I just get them there and carry my own. Even though I have to buy them myself, I also travel with my own razor, deodorant, and shaving cream, I certainly don't expect the hotel to supply them. The only time I have ever gotten toothpaste (and deodorant, razor, etc.) from a hotel is when DL lost my luggage and were out of amenity kits.
Old Dec 2, 09, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
...If they can only get the TSA to repackage the confiscated toothpaste and sell them to the hotels cheap, that would make the TSA role much more beneficial
Old Dec 2, 09, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Count me as one who believes that toothpaste is my responsibility. Shampoo, conditioner (maybe), soap, TP and tissues are what I expect and they are the standard. Anything beyond that is simply a nice gesture and something I won't bank on. Have I needed toothpaste while traveling? Yes. Did I expect to pay for it? Yeppers.
Old Dec 2, 09, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
A long time ago I actually forgot toothpaste and got a free little tube, at an ES if memory serves, and that stuff tasted like they threw a stick of chalk in a blender. That was enough for me to never even think about complimentary hotel toothpaste again.
Old Dec 2, 09, 2:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The colgate whisp is a great little disposable system for when you travel and need something in your bag.
Old Dec 2, 09, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA (airline status-free leisure traveler), HH Diamond
The OP is going to run out of hotel chains to stay at quickly if (s)he is willing to pull his business based on something as menial as free toothpaste.
Old Dec 2, 09, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
You might cancel a stay over a 40 cent tube of toothpaste you forgot or was too lazy to bring?

Presumably this is you first HGI stay have you ever got tooth paste at a HGI before or are really trying to tell you got if for free before .. the mind boogles at what else yoiu expect for free.

mike
Old Dec 2, 09, 2:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by loomis View Post
The OP is going to run out of hotel chains to stay at quickly if (s)he is willing to pull his business based on something as menial as free toothpaste.
Especially for a one-off experience.
Old Dec 2, 09, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by loomis View Post
That seems to be the progression.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...d-website.html
Old Dec 2, 09, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Charge for toothpaste, ridiculous. I'd come back when the next desk clerk works there and ask them. I've had hotels give me toothpaste from their gift shop for free when the tubes/packets ran out.
Old Dec 2, 09, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Dig deeper...the general is generally quite grumpy and threatening.
Old Dec 2, 09, 7:56 pm

Toothpaste is not a stated amenity. Therefore it is a hit and miss. I usually get it comped when I stay at hotels that I frequent on a regular basis and I might get charged at new places. Of course I usually stock on it when I stay at full service Hyatts - happens to be every third or fourth stay.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: