FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Decline Housekeeping Service & Receive 500 Hilton Honors Bonus Points Per Day! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1017177-decline-housekeeping-service-receive-500-hilton-honors-bonus-points-per-day.html)

DCBob Nov 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Decline Housekeeping Service & Receive 500 Hilton Honors Bonus Points Per Day!

I realize this issue has been discussed on the Starwood forum, but I wasn't aware that a similar program was in use at Hilton.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-go-green.html

I checked in on Friday at the Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown and in my key was a slip of paper entitled "Save a Little Green." By entering a code on your hotel phone in the morning (except on checkout day), you can decline housekeeping service and receive 500 Hilton Hhonors bonus points for each day of your stay.

Not nearly as generous as the Starwood program, but great if you don't need or want housekeeping service during your stay. Anyone else been offered this at a Hilton Family hotel?

KathyWdrf Nov 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Interesting idea. 500 HHonors points are worth (roughly speaking) about $3.00.

Perhaps the hotel even comes out ahead, but for some guests, this might not be a bad idea.

For instance, although it's nice to have daily housekeeping service, it can also sometimes be disruptive. Some day(s), maybe you want your privacy more than you want the service. I might go for it in that case. @:-)

travelexpert Nov 15, 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 12822595)
Not nearly as generous as the Starwood program

Why am I not surprised?

Points Scrounger Nov 15, 2009 5:34 pm

What exactly is Starwood's compensation?

There are enough clean towels for a second night, I almost never use enough wastebasket space to justify tossing trash daily, and I can live without changing the sheets/making the bed for one day.

REDSOX1 Nov 15, 2009 6:30 pm

How many days does the room get ripe?

Ok for a SOLO 2 night stay...otherwise for extended stays, 500 points are not worth it...I mean you want to be pampered a little, right?

KathyWdrf Nov 15, 2009 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by REDSOX1 (Post 12824315)
Ok for a SOLO 2 night stay...otherwise for extended stays, 500 points are not worth it...I mean you want to be pampered a little, right?

I agree. That's part of what you're paying for! But sometimes it's nice to have your privacy too, and a 500-pt bonus to boot doesn't hurt.

(Haven't seen this yet myself, to answer the OP's question.)

timber09 Nov 15, 2009 7:59 pm

I have yet to hear anything about this one - will certainly inquire in my next stay in Indianapolis in a couple of weeks.

500 points certainly isn't over the top generocity but, as mentioned, certainly can make it a day or two on the towels and garbage situation when I am traveling solo for work and this would make it a little easier to factor in conference call time and such as well.

une Nov 15, 2009 8:13 pm

It's not such a bad idea. Many times when I travel, I decline housekeeping service by putting the do not disturb sign on the door. Getting some extra points along the way does not hurt.

Does one have to call the number every morning or just once for the whole stay. If one is staying somewhere for a week, is there a way to decline the service every other day?

Why are people saying that this is not as generous as Starwood? That other thread said they give you a $5 card or 500 points also.

JonathanIT Nov 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf (Post 12823721)
500 HHonors points are worth (roughly speaking) about $3.00.

If you're not getting at least a penny a point redeeming HHonors, you're not spending them right. Personally, I'd put a value of at least $5 on 500 HHonors pts.

But then again that is at current redemption values. After January 14, you may be right.

cordelli Nov 15, 2009 9:19 pm

I really hate coming back to a hotel room to a totally made up bed at times. It's not a problem on a two day stay, but when I'm someplace for four or five days, I really don't want to keep coming back to a totally made up room.

That being said, I would hope to get the garbage emptied every day. I don't care about making the bed or new towels, but things like garbage, glassware cleaned, etc that stuff I would like done every day.

Minneapolis Nov 15, 2009 9:28 pm

The *only* hesitation I would have about this program is not getting the coffee re-stocked. The front desk could probably provide that easily.

500 points though? Because Hilton's program is larger/more devalued than Starwood's, shouldn't it be more like 750 or 1000?

It's like being offered 500 pesos vs. 500 euros.

KathyWdrf Nov 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 12824904)
If you're not getting at least a penny a point redeeming HHonors, you're not spending them right. Personally, I'd put a value of at least $5 on 500 HHonors pts.

But then again that is at current redemption values. After January 14, you may be right.

That's way too dogmatic. I'm talking average redemption values, not optimal values. (Also, you have to take into account the non-earning of points on the room when you use award stays.)

Anyhow, I believe in burning points/miles every year, not hoarding them while waiting for optimal redemption opportunities. If you hoard them too long, they just decline in value! ;)

Keyser Nov 15, 2009 11:38 pm

i guess this probably won't work with day stays....i have 3 day stays coming up at the same property over the next couple of weeks....

Firewind Nov 15, 2009 11:59 pm

I like this idea a lot. The hotel saves a lot of housekeeping time, materials, electricity - money - when we decline it. Nice of them to share part of it (albeit not much). I'll usually go my whole 2-3 day stay without it, anyway. Have for years. Just my preference. (Heck, I might even go that long at home without changing my sheets or towels..... ;)) And if it helps in the above ways, and the environment? Even sweeter.

I'll bet that it's behavior changing, enough to tip the scale for the many who just don't think about it, not because they want to be pampered. Again, I'm only talking about the "middle group" for whom 500 points likely will tip the scale. And per night? Even sweeter.

ORDnHKG Nov 16, 2009 2:37 am

Originally Posted by timber09 (Post 12824649)
I have yet to hear anything about this one - will certainly inquire in my next stay in Indianapolis in a couple of weeks.

I think this is only for indivdual hotels testing, I was at HGI washington dc, didn't see or hear anything about this.

DCBob Nov 16, 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 12824052)
What exactly is Starwood's compensation?

Did you click on the link I gave you in the original post?

Originally Posted by une (Post 12824708)
Does one have to call the number every morning or just once for the whole stay. If one is staying somewhere for a week, is there a way to decline the service every other day?

Why are people saying that this is not as generous as Starwood? That other thread said they give you a $5 card or 500 points also.

You have to call the number every morning to decline housekeeping for that day only.

It's not as generous as Starwood because 500 SPG points = approx. 2,000 HH points. 500 SPG points are also worth about $12.50, so if I was staying at Starwood, I would opt for the points every time.

Originally Posted by saad (Post 12825406)
i guess this probably won't work with day stays....i have 3 day stays coming up at the same property over the next couple of weeks....

No, it definitely does NOT apply to one-night stays. They have to make the room up for the next guest, not for you.

Keyser Nov 16, 2009 7:49 am

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 12826232)
No, it definitely does NOT apply to one-night stays. They have to make the room up for the next guest, not for you.

i know it won't work with day stays....i wasn't asking a question, i was stating that it won't work....

MichaelColey Nov 16, 2009 8:26 am

They were pushing something similar to this VERY HEAVILY (they didn't want to take no for an answer) at the Diamond Check-In Desk at the Hilton New York when I was there back in August. The only difference is that I'm pretty sure they were only offering 500 points (TOTAL for my EIGHT day stay). No thanks.

I can see this being useful if you really don't need the housekeeping, but to me housekeeping is easily worth $3/day (that's what I would value 500 points at).

In addition to other concerns, I would be concerned about the points not posting.

JonathanIT Nov 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 12826232)

Maybe you could request to decline housekeeping before check-in and get a dirty room. :D

aztimm Nov 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I must be one of the few people who make their bed every day. I like coming back to a freshened room, bed made, fresh towels, no garbage. With the size of the garbage cans in some properties, it isn't difficult to fill, if things even fit inside.

Of course I'd consider this in return for the right amount of points, but 500 certainly won't cut it.

emma dog Nov 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 12828158)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I must be one of the few people who make their bed every day. I like coming back to a freshened room, bed made, fresh towels, no garbage. With the size of the garbage cans in some properties, it isn't difficult to fill, if things even fit inside.

Of course I'd consider this in return for the right amount of points, but 500 certainly won't cut it.

Funny you say this... the thread must be 50/50 pro/con as I feel like I must be the only person who doesn't care about daily housekeeping. If I'm at home I use my towel for about a week. I don't vacuum but once a week unless there's a mess. And I don't make that much garbage. So for me, why is it any different when I'm in a hotel?

sjefenole Nov 16, 2009 1:30 pm

I will book 2 Queens from now on :) and get the room made up every other day.

Keyser Nov 16, 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by sjefenole (Post 12828220)

genius....:)

Diplomatico Nov 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Pass. I need the coffee refills. ;)

JonathanIT Nov 16, 2009 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 12828741)
Pass. I need the coffee refills. ;)

Everyone knows those are unlimited "help-yourself" from the housekeeping cart in the hallway! :cool:

PatMike Nov 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by sjefenole (Post 12828220)

Originally Posted by saad (Post 12828277)
genius....:)

+1

Points Scrounger Nov 16, 2009 2:54 pm

not so at Vacations Club - sign by coffeemaker reminds guests "replacements available at downstairs deli".

JonathanIT Nov 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 12828158)

If you're saying you make your own bed, then yes I would have to say there are probably very few frequent hotel guests who do this! :eek:

EsquireFlyer Nov 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Hmm. Remember when the airlines used to give us bonus miles for booking tickets on their websites, or using automated check-in? And look where that went..

Any guesses on how long before Hilton starts charging a $25 convenience fee to receive housekeeping service, instead of giving bonus points for declining the service?

Goofy Foot Nov 16, 2009 11:19 pm

500 points is not even close to get me to pick up after myself and make the bed. My mother could not get me to do it. How is 500 points going to do it?

German Expat Nov 17, 2009 9:03 am

Would work well for me. On a short 2 day stay I really don't care about the room being cleaned. I reuse towels at hotels and I don't fill much in the trash can.
On most of my business trips I do eat out for dinner and the trash can usually just has empty water bottles, those can wait for a day.
I would like to get extra coffee pads though without having to pay for them.

Points Scrounger Nov 17, 2009 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot (Post 12831609)
500 points is not even close to get me to pick up after myself and make the bed. My mother could not get me to do it. How is 500 points going to do it?

Is it that difficult to put the used towels aside for a day, if not re-use them, and straighten the bed, if not actually "make" it? Aside from taking out the trash (unless you fill more than half the wastebaskets in a day, do you need that every day?), what else is there that you would need to "do" in terms of housekeeping yourself?

ORDnHKG Nov 17, 2009 10:42 am

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer (Post 12828924)
Hmm. Remember when the airlines used to give us bonus miles for booking tickets on their websites, or using automated check-in? And look where that went..

Any guesses on how long before Hilton starts charging a $25 convenience fee to receive housekeeping service, instead of giving bonus points for declining the service?

I can see there is a reason behind all this, they want to cut cost by hiring less maids is the end results.

It is exactly like what you are talking about. Airlines used to have many of its own staff handling call center and checkin. They claim that would be a faster process if you book online, if you do self serve checkin, and also by giving you bonuse miles to attract one to do that. Now no more bonus miles, huge amount of staff got laid off replace by outsourcing companies that use a minimal of staff.

Rather than go green or whatever reason they said, that is just an excuse to cut cost.

MisterNice Nov 17, 2009 11:32 am

Its nice to have a choice but now I will have to tune the radio myself if I want to listen to any local latin music.

Also where do the people stay who state a HH point is easily worth a penny. My typical stay sez it usually worth less than half of that.

MisterNice

cordelli Nov 17, 2009 11:43 am

And you save the tip for housekeeping too!

uncertaintraveler Nov 17, 2009 11:51 am

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 12828209)
. . . I feel like I must be the only person who doesn't care about daily housekeeping. If I'm at home I use my towel for about a week. I don't vacuum but once a week unless there's a mess. And I don't make that much garbage. So for me, why is it any different when I'm in a hotel?

Well, for me, the difference is in the fact that my apartment costs around $34 a night. A night at a hotel (usually) costs way more than that.

I should receive something tangible and noticeable for that cost difference, no?

freebee Nov 17, 2009 6:56 pm

Let's see, someone would have to decline housekeeping a whopping 100 times to earn enough points for what is now a Cat 6, soon to be a Cat 7, hotel. No thanks, I'll vote for clean rooms and maintaining jobs for housekeepers.

Goofy Foot Nov 17, 2009 11:08 pm

[Is it that difficult to put the used towels aside for a day, if not re-use them, and straighten the bed, if not actually "make" it?]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom?
Is that you? What are you doing on Flyertalk? ...sorry I haven't called :p

Goofy Foot Nov 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Oh, and where's my allowance you owe from years back?

365RoadWarrior Nov 18, 2009 10:03 am

I never, ever have my room made up during a stay. But I see another potential benefit. It would seem to help ensure that my room ISN'T made up against my wishes. Too often - though not so much with Hilton - my DND is ignored, and the confidential information I have is exposed, so I end up calling the "police" from my company to report the possible breach. Unfortunately, there isn't always a safe large enough to hold everything, nor can I carry it all, all of the time.