Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Win 1,000,000 Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton "Up in the Air" Sweepstakes

Win 1,000,000 Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton "Up in the Air" Sweepstakes

Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Trailer does look good, with some stuff (though I hope not all) that FTers can identify with. Also, between AA and Hilton this is the ultimate product placement movie.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:05 pm

Million Bonus Points

Dear Hilton Honors Representative:

Does this mean that you are registered for the drawing even if you don't complete the stay...just as long as you had booked it on the web site?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by ddfr
Dear Hilton Honors Representative:

Does this mean that you are registered for the drawing even if you don't complete the stay...just as long as you had booked it on the web site?
Wow. I had that same question but was afraid to ask here on FT because, well, you know. I called HH and asked that very same question. After a little while on hold the answer was..... yes. You get entered making the reservation. So I made 5 on line and now I am done. Considering how much I feel the program is now devalued (or will be in Jan) I don't see myself going for Diamond again in 2010. Priority Club is working out very well and I can see myself getting more bang for my points with them... even without their branded CC.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:36 am

one million points

thats pretty funny, because I felt funny about posting the question....but quite frankly, while we have a number of reservations at Hiltons coming up, I didn't want to start cancelling and rebooking them
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddfr
thats pretty funny, because I felt funny about posting the question....but quite frankly, while we have a number of reservations at Hiltons coming up, I didn't want to start cancelling and rebooking them
I made duplicate bookings of a couple of reservations because I got the same price then canceled the originals. Then I made some other reservations that might or might not pan out before the end of the year.... yes, that's right... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by Evan!
Wow. I had that same question but was afraid to ask here on FT because, well, you know. I called HH and asked that very same question. After a little while on hold the answer was..... yes. You get entered making the reservation. So I made 5 on line and now I am done. Considering how much I feel the program is now devalued (or will be in Jan) I don't see myself going for Diamond again in 2010. Priority Club is working out very well and I can see myself getting more bang for my points with them... even without their branded CC.
Actually, you only have one entry. The rules state you are only allowed one entry per week. All five res made this week will only count once. You have to go back each week and make a res.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Actually, you only have one entry. The rules state you are only allowed one entry per week. All five res made this week will only count once. You have to go back each week and make a res.
You are correct. I missed that entirely. The never came up in my conversation with HH. Thanks. Time to set 4 reminders.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
So, assuming one of us actually wins 1 million HHonors points, what would be the obligation to the Internal Revenue Service? (Yes, AFAIK these are taxable, unlike the ones we earn.)
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
So, assuming one of us actually wins 1 million HHonors points, what would be the obligation to the Internal Revenue Service? (Yes, AFAIK these are taxable, unlike the ones we earn.)
Good question! HHonors has to set a value on the prize in order to be taxed. 1,000,000 if used carefully can be worth up to 1-2 cents/ point. If used poorly, less than 0.2 cents/pt. Pretty wide range. What monetary value have they set on the points?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Good question! HHonors has to set a value on the prize in order to be taxed. 1,000,000 if used carefully can be worth up to 1-2 cents/ point. If used poorly, less than 0.2 cents/pt. Pretty wide range. What monetary value have they set on the points?
Whatever the amount that HH were to arrive at, it can be challenged and the amount added to your taxable income reduced. This is especially true if you were to redeem the points prior to filing your taxes. If you can show what the cost would have been had you purchased the rooms and that cost is less than the amount arbitrarily reported to the IRS as income to your SSN then you can have the amount adjusted. Its been done before.

Of course if you find the redeemed value was much higher... just keep your mouth shut and pay the taxes on the arbitrary amount.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Zero for me as I live in Canada and we don't tax contest winnings.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I hear you northern neighbors, have healthcare, as well, eh?

Very nice state of affairs - no taxes on winnings! ^ Good luck to you, if you can enter from Canada.

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Zero for me as I live in Canada and we don't tax contest winnings.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
How can you tell that your reservation was a qualifying entry?

I made a reservation through the contest link but haven't received any kind of notification that I've got an entry in the contest? Is there some way to tell that you've made a qualifying entry?

Also, if you make a reservation (e.g. this week) but cancel it before the sweepstakes expire, does it still count as a qualifying entry for the grand prize?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:01 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
What happens if you cancel your booking? From what you guys are saying here you are still eligible to win the 1,000,000 HH points right?

And regarding the weekly prizes do I have to make the booking dates on that specific week or a future booking is acceptable?
In other words, if I made a booking today for 2 weeks from now, which draw will I be included for? This week or the 2 weeks from now?

Last edited by zaf; Nov 9, 2009 at 10:07 am
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, National Car EE, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Platnium/Lifetime Silver
If you look at the rules they list the estimated retail value of the prizes.

200,000 points is worth $2,000 so they are valuing each point at .01.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.