Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

UK Honors VISA Barclaycard: why so stingy?!

Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Looking for a Hilton credit card here in the UK, and the only option is a VISA card from Barclays. 10k sign up, but only 2pts per £!!!

Given the US cards give much more, why is the UK one so stingy?

Might get it just for the 10k, but not sure its worth diverting spend away from other loyalty cards.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by kryten22uk
why is the UK one so stingy?
Well, haven't you noticed that pretty much everything in the United States seems to be better value, cheaper and more customer focused?

The UK Government has just launched a major consultation on the credit card industry (http://www.bis.gov.uk/comments-on-credit-consultation) focusing on the many anti-consumer sharp practices. Only 2pts/ £1 is nothing compared with some of the other things credit card companies do.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
It's from Barclays, who are uncompetitive when it comes to points accrual.

They also manage the IHG Priority Club Visa card, which is equally miserly but has joining bonuses of up to 25,000 points. AmEx MR offers 2x the IHG benefits.

Barclays had the Thomas Cook Visa card, which initially offered points worth 1% of general turnover and 2% on Thomas Cook purchases as well as 0% foreign currency loading. Too good to last. The card was 'enhanced' to half the earnings and a punitive currency loading. I cut up my card. Sad, really, as it was one card I was happy to use.

Assuming your credit record allows, best to get the HH and/or IHG cards, use them once and cut them up.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
the Thomas Cook Visa card, which initially offered points worth 1% of general turnover and 2% on Thomas Cook purchases as well as 0% foreign currency loading. Too good to last. The card was 'enhanced' to half the earnings and a punitive currency loading. I cut up my card. Sad, really, as it was one card I was happy to use.
Yes, we did exactly the same.

But even better was the UA MP Beneficial card which for a long time allowed miles on (fee-free) balance transfers. Oh happy days. Gone for good, though. Now you don't even get a sign up bonus for UA MBNA Amex. How crap is that.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, bmi diamond club silver
Thumbs down Terrible customer service with this card

Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Looking for a Hilton credit card here in the UK, and the only option is a VISA card from Barclays. 10k sign up, but only 2pts per £!!!

Given the US cards give much more, why is the UK one so stingy?

Might get it just for the 10k, but not sure its worth diverting spend away from other loyalty cards.
At least you can use your card! They sent mine, I called to activate, they changed their mind about giving me one (go figure), I cut it up. Six months later, it's showing as open on my credit file because they lied to me, probably wanting to show me as a successful applicant for their conversion metrics but then not wanting my business. It's been a hassle ever since with these Barclaycard monkeys. Get the points and stay away! Oh and if you cancel the card, make sure it shows as cancelled on your credit file!
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:42 pm

Because deep down Hilton don't give a monkey's about UK HH members, it's the US that makes the money.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Popester
Because deep down Hilton don't give a monkey's about UK HH members, it's the US that makes the money.
First, Hilton has pretty much nothing to do with it - credit card companies buy points from HH, and each credit card company decides how much they want/need to offer. Second, credit card companies are not going to give away more than they have to to attract and retain customers. US customers are more finicky and have more choices than those in UK, so credit card companies have to sweeten the pot in the US.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Eugene
First, Hilton has pretty much nothing to do with it - credit card companies buy points from HH, and each credit card company decides how much they want/need to offer. Second, credit card companies are not going to give away more than they have to to attract and retain customers. US customers are more finicky and have more choices than those in UK, so credit card companies have to sweeten the pot in the US.
Very true.

I cannot answer the question for the UK, however the German HH Visa offers a similar poor earning. I believe the reason for this is easy. Germans use CC more like debit cards. We pay back each and every month. When we need credit, we get a credit with currently 5 to 8 percent anual rate from our banks. No need to feed the CC companies. I believe this is different in the US and the APR for CC is obzene. However, the CC companies do encourage the consumers to spend and spend and spend. The more the consumer spends the more money they can make on the APR. Compared what you the John Doe pays for CC debts, the few points they give is nothing. Obviously this business modell does not work in Germany and other European countries.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Suggestions welcome!

Was sent a flyer from hilton Honors suggesting I apply for a UK HH Barclaycard last November Instead of the usual 7500 I would get 10000 points. I applied. The card arrived. No points posted initially as despite me having advised of my HH number diuring the application process this had some how been lost . Eventually 7500 points posted!! So 2500 missing. Rang BC they told me to contact HH who told me to contact BC: You get the picture...Emailed HH and after several emails wanting all sorts of details HH asked me to scan and email the original promtion mail. Did that...nothing happened...wrote again; Told they cant do anything about it by email and to ring to set up a case file. At one point they even caleed me by another name and gave account details of that person...This has been going on for months now. Any one have a contact who can sort this out??? Tx!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.