Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New redemption levels plus a free night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New redemption levels plus a free night

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Beckles
As I said, to me it seems the article is inconsistent...
It's McPaper -- don't expect accurate reporting from such a shoddy outfit.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by Beckles
I do not assume that the author of the article is more knowledgable than me about this topic. If we remove the single paranthetical comment that "These changes come on top of the 20% increase in the number of points required for a free night's stay across Hilton's system." it would seem to indicate that:

Hotels that will stay in the same points category - 74%
Hotels that will be raised into a pricier point category - 10%
Hotels that will be dropped into a less-expensive point category - 16%

It actually seems clear, it's only 1) the parenthetical comment; and 2) the previous expectation that most, if not all, hotels would become more expensive; that make it seem that this explanation is not correct.
The specific hotels listed appear to be after both Phase one and Phase two are implemented though, we can tell this because for the hotels getting more expensive it includes seven hotels moving to 50,000 points, which is Phase two in your venacular. We know Phase one is also included in the article since it lists some hotels getting less expensive.
Agree, Hilton has nothing to lose PR-wise now because everyone is expecting the worst, while it now appears possible that the changes will be much less severe than has been discussed here and in the press.
I really hope you're right, but I fear you are not. The reason is that if we look at just the percentages above and throw out the 20% across the board statement, it would mean that more hotels are actually going down in points needed for a redemption than hotels going up. If that were the case, Hilton would be marketing that, and not the category changes. Clearly there is a devaluation going on and that's why Hilton has had to explain it and defend it. I do hope I'm wrong about this though.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:34 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevino
I really hope you're right, but I fear you are not.
Note that I only said it appears possible these changes aren't too bad. The fact even 10 hotels will be cheaper after the change and 10 will be the same price, assuming at least the point levels for the 30 specific hotels listed are correct, is better than the oft-repeated claim here on FT that "every hotel" was going up at least one category.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by saad
i think what we really need is for hilton to come out with the list of properties moving up & down (or staying the same)....
I agree here. This has been a total PR disaster for Hilton and if this is how they planned it the whole time, they ought to change their marketing department around. If this is a result of the hue and cry by HHonors members they should acknowledge that "we're listening and changing things around and that's why you don't have a chart" instead of just hiding at corporate HQ and letting speculation run rampant. Trust us with the information, especially if it's better news than we're expecting.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
I just found this thread and am a Diamond member( last 4yrs based on nights in Hilton rooms) who did not recieve an email, let alone one with a free night. I of couse emailed Hilton, and of course I do not qualify for the free night because 'Your account is not one of the targeted few accounts' that was eligible but as a goodwill geture I was given 5000 points. WOW. I guess being Diamond member based on amount of time spen in Hilton rooms really doesn't matter.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
I just found this thread and am a Diamond member( last 4yrs based on nights in Hilton rooms) who did not recieve an email, let alone one with a free night. I of couse emailed Hilton, and of course I do not qualify for the free night because 'Your account is not one of the targeted few accounts' that was eligible but as a goodwill geture I was given 5000 points. WOW. I guess being Diamond member based on amount of time spen in Hilton rooms really doesn't matter.
i read in an article somewhere that they were giving the free night to diamonds who have been with them for a while & have over 200k points in their account....i don't believe this to be true because i have been diamond for 3 years & have well over 500k points in my account....i know people who are first year diamonds with a much less point balance than me who have got the free night....
Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by saad
i read in an article somewhere that they were giving the free night to diamonds who have been with them for a while & have over 200k points in their account....i don't believe this to be true because i have been diamond for 3 years & have well over 500k points in my account....i know people who are first year diamonds with a much less point balance than me who have got the free night....
I'm not so sure about the reported criteria either. I have a friend who just became a HHonors member this yr and achieved Diamond via Surpass spending shortly before the certificate issuance. He had less than 200K, no Hilton stays, and had been Diamond for UNDER TWO MONTHS! He received a certificate.

I initially did not get a certificate. I'm now at my 5th yr as a Diamond, all earned via time in hotels. I had about 140K in my account at the time of the announcement. However, up to that point, I had ADDED about 350K points since Jan. I complained and eventually received a certificate (I earned an additional 50K during the time from the email release and DD resolution 3 wks later).
I was initially sent the standard email with the statement "certificate only issued to our most valued Diamond member". I was irate when I saw that. A Diamond for several yrs and well over 2 mill points lifetime points was deemed not valuable while a brand new Diamond/HHonors member via CC spend with just over 160K lifetime points was considered most valuable.

The published criteria is most definitely NOT what was used. I think it was much more arbitrary than that. But it does seem they favored the high CC spenders more than the ppl who stayed in the hotels.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
lost email

went to book my free night using the cert...it's nowhere in my emails. I must've deleted. Anyone had success getting this resent?

update...duh, they have it at the Diamond Desk, no problem at all...hopefully this will be helpful to anyone else who did this

Last edited by deuce1; Jan 16, 2010 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Is there an overall overview of all hotels and their new categories? And of GLON/GLONP (or whatever they are called) prices? Thanks...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:56 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by attorney28
Is there an overall overview of all hotels and their new categories? And of GLON/GLONP (or whatever they are called) prices? Thanks...
The Hhonors website has a page which lets you locate the different reward level hotels in different countries. See: http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/.../categories.do
Hhonors did publish a list of the VIP award levels, but then removed it from the site. LarryU saved a copy and gave it in a previous thread. Hopefully he won't mind me quoting it again: http://members.aceweb.com/larryu/fil..._9-25-2009.pdf

Last edited by cjd; Jan 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Thank you very much Chris, this is what I was looking for.

Edit: These people are completely out of their minds...

Among Category 7 hotels:

Hilton London Hyde Park
Hilton London Paddington
Hilton London Green Park
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Hilton Amsterdam
Embassy Suites Chicago
Embassy Suites Deerfield Beach
Drake
Palmer House
Millenium Hilton NYC

I believe I have stayed at all of these...don't get me wrong, they are decent enough hotels and while I guess you could make the argument for the Drake or the Palmer House due to their tradition, I really don't see how you put these hotels in the same category as the Conrad Maldives or, from what I hear, the Hilton Seychelles and Hilton Mauritius.

Thanks also for the VIP rewards - so that means that there is no longer a discount for a 6-night award as there used to be?

So the Conrad Maldives went from 175k points to 225k points?

I bet nobody is ever going to redeem the London Green Park Hilton for 225k points for 6 nights!!!

HAHAHA...the Hilton London Olympia is a cat. 6...hilarious. Worst hotel ever.

Last edited by Football Fan; Jan 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
So I am clear

No one is happy about all the changes.

I want to make sure that these certificates they are going to give out for free nights after 4 stays (with a maximum of 3 certificates) WILL Be GOOD for ANY Hilton Property ANYWHERE with a one year expiration period.

Do I understand this correctly???
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
No one is happy about all the changes.

I want to make sure that these certificates they are going to give out for free nights after 4 stays (with a maximum of 3 certificates) WILL Be GOOD for ANY Hilton Property ANYWHERE with a one year expiration period.

Do I understand this correctly???
There are a few dozen properties not participating (about 1% of all Hilton Family properties), see this page for the list.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:20 pm
DH

I bet nobody is ever going to redeem the London Green Park Hilton for 225k points for 6 nights!!!
Maybe that's the point. It doesn't want any award stays...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:03 am
cjd

Thanks also for the VIP rewards - so that means that there is no longer a discount for a 6-night award as there used to be?

So the Conrad Maldives went from 175k points to 225k points?
There is still a discount for the VIP awards. The new 2010 chart for single night awards http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...s/freenight.do shows that the nightly rate for Cat 7 properties is 50000 points. So for 6 nights, instead of 300k points, you pay 225k for the VIP award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.