Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Recreation
If you have an Hilton Platinum Amex, you'd be eligible to use the AXON code:

From the website: "Exclusive Offers:

Redeem for Less
As a Hilton HHonors Platinum Credit Cardmember, you can redeem for less. Receive four HHonors reward nights at any Category 5 or Category 6 Hilton Family hotel worldwide for 125,000 HHonors points. This same stay would normally require 140,000 or 160,000 HHonors points.

Take advantage and visit Hawaii's Big Island and stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village® or visit Asia Pacific and stay at the luxurious Conrad® Bali Resort & Spa.

For more information and to see what Category a particular Hilton Family hotel falls into, click here

To redeem this reward, please call 1-800-920-5649 and request Reward Code AXON."

You might call and see if another AMEX qualifies for the code. However, I believe these rewards might be capacity controlled.

Do you have a link please?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just visit the American Express Hilton HHonors card website and you will see the benefits of this card - from 3 to 5 points per dolar spent, AXON awards, etc. We've used AXON awards at pricey hotels - Conrad Tokyo, Hilton Barbados, Hilton Rome Cavalieri, Millennium Bangkok Hilton, etc. (even when they had events and very high prices / low availability) with ease. We didn't use it at the Bali Conrad because economical stays can be had.

Originally Posted by amps
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:20 pm
formerly FamilyFlyers

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Select Hotels, The Travel Collection, American Express PWP
If you are booked at HHV on an award stay, is there any chance you would get a room at the HGVC towers? Or are they different systems?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by amps
https://www143.americanexpress.com/c...ARDS/117/1/0/9
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by familyflyers
If you are booked at HHV on an award stay, is there any chance you would get a room at the HGVC towers? Or are they different systems?
They are different systems, so you won't get an award stay in the HGVC towers. Rooms in those towers are not always available for booking either, depending on owner occupancy.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
The is indeed still plenty of construction going on on the northwest side of the Lagoon Tower, though it's just tolerable on the 17th floor (very low floors it would be seriously disturbing, IMO.)
Actually, the noise is worse the higher you are. I had a studio on the construction side in late September and didn't hear the construction. Had one on the 23rd floor on that side two weeks ago and could hear the noise although it didn't bother me.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by JDiver
Mahalo, Karen! I will indeed keep adding - we are having a good time walking and wandering. This weekend we will hit the zoo and aquarium, as well as the art show at the zoo. The weather has been rotten, but cleaned up nicely the day we arrived (70 - 80 degree range, a few occasional tiny clouds - some of which release a fine shower of droplets, wet enough to be refreshing but not soaking.)

The $20 coupons are an HGVC item, not available in other than Kalia and Lagoon AFAIK, but we did receive them at check-in, and they have few limitations. We will probably use one to "pay" for the $10 per person upgrade to cooked breakfast on a weekend day so we can make it "brunch." There is also a number of iDine restaurants within walking distance, so we are making miles as well as walking them.
If you have time and want to do something different, I'd highly recommend the Segway tour. We did one in early Nov, from the HHV to Diamondhead. Unfortunately, we couldn't do a bill to room tho. With the extra crowds there now in high season, I'm not sure what it will be like, but people generally moved out of the way for us; it took about an hour to get over there.

We also ate at Sergio's, it was OK. We were upgraded to the Ali'i tower, from a 'room selected at check-in' cheapest rate I could find.

Oh, on the last day I did a surfing lesson, turned out to just be the instructor and myself, great experience. And that I was able to bill to room.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
HHV trip report, Dec. 4-11

My wife and I enjoyed our week-long stay at the HHV. Since we got a lot of information from this board I thought I would share our review.

Our total room rate was just over $200 per night for ROH room. My wife is a Diamond and we received a partial ocean view room in the Ali'i Tower with a view of the pool. It was a very nice room. It seemed to me the Rainbow tower had nicer views and location, but I assume the rooms aren't as nice.

This resort's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. It is on the far north end of Waikiki beach, with the large, sparsely populated military resort just to the south. As a result the beach is the only uncrowded area of Waikiki beach.

The distance from other resorts creates a bit of captive audience for the resturants. We found Sergio's fair to good (closer to fair), but expensive. At Bali by the Sea, when the waiter found out that we wanted to see the "Sunset Special" (early bird) menu he treated us like we were a homeless couple who had wandered in off the street, and practically threw the menus at us. We did enjoy the $10 upgraded breakfasts at the Rainbow Lanai.

There was only one white and one red wine served at the various outdoor bars. It was $9.50 a glass and not particularly good. Down the beach I was able to pay a few dollars more and get a truly exceptional glass of wine. After returning from the Halekulani's House Without a Key we stopped to listen to the entertainment at the Tapa Bar. There was just no comparison -- HHV just didn't measure up.

With these negative things said, let me say that HHV is a beautiful resort. At $200 a night it was a steal. It has a great kid's program and we would love to take the children. If it were just my wife and me and cost were no object, we'd pick the Halekulani for our next stay. But of course, cost is always an object!

All in all we enjoyed our stay. We'd stay again, although I seriously doubt we'd dine at Sergio's or Bali by the Sea again.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Construction

Much mention has been made of the construction on the board lately and when I had a room in the Kalia Tower earlier this month which presented a perfect view of it, I took a panorama of three pictures showing the view from the lanai.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think those are great illustrations! Mahalo!

On the Lagoon Tower lower floors near the construction going on makai (seaside) of the new Grand Waikikian, one will get lots of noise from the ground level stuff going on between the Lagoon Tower and the alley that connects Ala Moana Boulevard to Holomoana Street and the Ala Moana Yacht Harbor.

On the higher floors closest to the Grand Waikikian, one will get lots of noise from the assembly of the higher floors; Grand Waikikian is not expected to pen until sometime in 2009, so beware...

Construction does NOT happen on Saturdays and Sundays, and holidays. Definitely construction this Christmas Eve day, for half the day.

N.B. The "shortcut" alley connecting Ala Moana to the beach just northwest of the Duke's lagoon is closed during construction; the only beachside "shortcut" to Ala Wai Yacht Harbor (Chart House, etc.) is via the sand makai of the Duke's lagoon. Mauka (mountainside) you must use Hobron Lane to enter Holomoana Street (past the three-armed Ilikai hotel during construction hours.)

When Duke's Lagoon is finally open, you will be able to use the lagoon walkway to enter Holomoana St at the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor (and the Chart House restaurant right now you have to walk the sand, or use Ala Moana and Hobron.

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Much mention has been made of the construction on the board lately and when I had a room in the Kalia Tower earlier this month which presented a perfect view of it, I took a panorama of three pictures showing the view from the lanai.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 25, 2007 at 12:37 am Reason: add days construction is active
Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:06 pm

Lagoon is open now

I just got back from 2 weeks at the HHV and on thursday Dec. 27th they have opened the Lagoon. the waterfall was not running as of Sat. morning but guests were swimming in the Lagoon.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:58 pm
formerly FamilyFlyers

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Select Hotels, The Travel Collection, American Express PWP
Just read some scathing reviews about HHV on Tripadvisor. I believe that unhappy people are more likely to post than those who had a good experience, but I am beginning to get nervous. We are booking a 6 night award stay somewhere in Oahu. I am wondering if we should reconsider and go with the Embassy Suites. We are traveling with 2 kids so the extra room would be a plus. I thought the resort like pools at HHV would be more fun, but I keep hearing they are very cold. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:13 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You're right. Look at many of the forums on FT People are far more likely to complain than praise.

The HHV is a wonderful experience. Frankly, though, in your situation I'd save it for someday when you can have a romantic-vacation-for-two in a high floor room of the Rainbow Tower.

From my experience of traveling both with and without children (and having stayed at the HHV a couple of dozen times), I'd go for the Embassy Suites simply because of the room. Most of the rooms at the HHV are not overwhelmingly large. There are some suites and some oversized rooms in the Tapa Tower, but in your situation I'd go with the certainty of two rooms.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by familyflyers
Just read some scathing reviews about HHV on Tripadvisor. I believe that unhappy people are more likely to post than those who had a good experience, but I am beginning to get nervous. We are booking a 6 night award stay somewhere in Oahu. I am wondering if we should reconsider and go with the Embassy Suites. We are traveling with 2 kids so the extra room would be a plus. I thought the resort like pools at HHV would be more fun, but I keep hearing they are very cold. Any thoughts?
Contact the HHV and ask to be upgraded to a corner junior suite in the Tapa tower. Based on my 2 experiences you won't be disappointed. 2 bathrooms, a seperate bedroom, dining table, mini fridge and a nice balcony are what you can expect. We are planning another trip there in June and this is what I'm going to request.
As far as the pools go, they are rather small for a hotel of this size and the water was cold but not unbareable.
Enjoy your vacation.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Hawaiian village Kalia Tower no more lounge

Hilton has done away with the executive floor rooms and the lounge at the Kalia Tower as from 12 January 2008.
There are also no more bath robes in the rooms, the mini bars are locked and empty, the elevators do not require the keycards to access the floors,no more refreshing of the towels, etc a second time around dinner time, no more free breakfast,soft drinks during the day and cocktails at evenings.
Booked an executive floor room 6 months ago,of course no pre-info on the changes but no change in pricing....Just told at check-in no more lounge and given a breakfast coupon card (as a gold member) to take breakfast at 2 of their restaurants (Tapa Tower and Alii Tower) These restaurants are real zoos in the morning the foodis lousy, service rough and sparce.
Guess if need to stay at this hotelmust choose the Alii Tower which still provides some basic hotel services and facilities.
Oh one more thing 'no sir no laundry service on Sundays anymore but we will gladly pick-up your launcry and return it on Monday evening by the way the obligatory gratuity of 2 dollars willbe added to your laundry bill'
Welcome to the Hilton in paradise Island
Next year I'll be at the Halekulani, thank you very much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.