Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
yes they do have gov rates. They check ID and if you have a Retired ID card they will refuse it.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Mold Problem Settlement: Stayed at the HHV Kalia Tower B/W Jun 14-Jul 23 2003?

According to news outlets here in Honolulu, those who stayed at the HHV Kalia Tower during the dates listed above will be entitled to:

1. $150 travel coupon for each night stayed
OR
2. $50 in cash for each night stayed

If you remember, the HHV Kalia Tower experienced mold problems after it opened, causing the Hilton to close the tower for about a year until they could get the problem under control.

KHON is reporting that the settlement is still awaiting court approval, but it's likely that there won't be a problem.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Entertainment Book Discounts

I'm sure everyone knows about the Entertainment Book. Just discovered that for $15.00 you can buy one for Hawaii. There are 2 coupons in there for the Hilton. Village Steak & Seafood - buy 1 dinner, get 1 free up to $28. And then at the Rainbow Lanai - 25% of the dinner buffet for up to 4 people. One coupon used alone is worth the price of the book. Of course, there are many others for all over the island. Very nice.

Originally Posted by linsj
OP: Would you please break up your report into paragraphs, so we can read it? I quit after a few lines because all that block print is too hard on the eyes. Occupational hazard. I'm an editor, and reader friendly is one of our mottos. :-)
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Boy,3, Dies After Fall At HHV: Hilton Not At Fault

Unfortunately, tragedy struck the Alii Tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu. A 3-year old boy from New York slipped through the railings of their family's 8th floor room while vacationing there for the new year.

http://www.khon.com/khon/display.cfm...10208&sid=1152

Today, local officials said that the balcony of the hotel are compliant with safety regulations. The distance between the vertical bars is about 5", about the width of a can of soda. The bars of the hotel were originally 9" wide, which was the code norm at the time, prior to Hilton's latest renovation of the tower.

Last edited by Weatherboy; Jan 5, 2006 at 2:09 pm Reason: Edited Hotel Name
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Unfortunately, tragedy struck the Alii Tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu. A 3-year old boy from New York slipped through the railings of their family's 8th floor room while vacationing there for the new year.

http://www.khon.com/khon/display.cfm...10208&sid=1152

Today, local officials said that the balcony of the hotel are compliant with safety regulations. The distance between the vertical bars is about 5", about the width of a can of soda. The bars of the hotel were originally 9" wide, which was the code norm at the time, prior to Hilton's latest renovation of the tower.
I just went to my ruler and still find it difficult to fathom even an infant fitting through 5 inches of space. The parents must be devastated with both sadness and guilt, even though I am sure they also could not conceive of this happening.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:49 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Code for home stairways is often no more than a 4" gap. If the toddler can get their head through, the body can follow.

Very tragic.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:23 pm
DH

Very sad.

When I stayed at HHV, we just didn't opened the balcony door because of our daughters who were 3 and 2 at the time...
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
Sad beyond words, I can't imagine going through that.

But reading the article, what were the adults thinking. It says a 3, 4, and 6 year old were left alone on a balcony
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
Anyone want to bet the parents at least think about a lawsuit??

Even though, after leaving 3 kids all under the age of 6 on a lanai 8 floors up by themselves, the parents are lucky to not be going to jail for child neglect.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
How horrendous. I agree that leaving young children on a high balcony is a terrible idea anyway but it seems they paid the ultimate price for their mistake.

Whenever I go to Embassy Suites hotels, I always wonder if anybody has fallen to their death. If you've never been to ES, they usually have rooms on the perimeter with a huge open air atrium in the middle. A four foot wall is the only thing preventing you from falling. If I had young children, or a really drunk partner, I'd be a nervous wreck walking on the high floors.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:25 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Geez, I'm so sorry to hear of this. What a shame!

Mark
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by gof
Code for home stairways is often no more than a 4" gap. If the toddler can get their head through, the body can follow.

Very tragic.
Building regulations for UK are that no gap will allow a 100mm diameter sphere to pass through (That's just under 4" for those yet to adopt metric).
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:17 pm

Similar San Rafael, CA E.S. incident in 2001

I very similar tragedy happened in 2001 at the San Rafael, CA Embassy Suites.
A 2 ˝-year-old Dutch girl died when she fell 40 feet from an open fourth-story hotel window. I happened to be staying there when it happened. Very sad.

Last edited by 2400; Jan 6, 2006 at 3:21 pm Reason: correct year
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:32 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by 2400
I very similar tragedy happened in 2001 at the San Rafael, CA Embassy Suites.
A 2 ˝-year-old Dutch girl died when she fell 40 feet from an open fourth-story hotel window. I happened to be staying there when it happened. Very sad.
How did the hotel handle this, in relation to advising other guests that were staying? Obviously the ambulances and investigative crew that visited would have been a dead giveaway, but was there any notification or statement thus avoiding rumers, and/or how did they respond to any questions made about the incident?
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by dannyr
How did the hotel handle this, in relation to advising other guests that were staying? Obviously the ambulances and investigative crew that visited would have been a dead giveaway, but was there any notification or statement thus avoiding rumers, and/or how did they respond to any questions made about the incident?

Hotel management did not handle the incident very well, especially after the media arrived on site ... "Unfortunate accident" was the standard response followed by a "No comment" to further questions. Hotel staff seemed well-briefed by their corporate legal department.

The local police and fire department/paramedics responded admirably. I was surprised to see police and fire chaplains (in police and fire dept uniform with Roman collar) tending to many obviously distressed guests. Very progressive public safety departments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.