Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by BBQMonster
I am curious to see if you end up with a $10.00 charge for towels on your bill when you check out. When we were checking in the person next to us was trying to get the $10 removed from their bill, and when we checked out we had the same $10 charge on our bill. They said there are RFID chips in the towels and they will charge if you don't turn them in. I told them we did turns ours in everyday and got the charge removed. Just wondering if this is something that ends up on everyone's bill or were we just lucky.

BBQMonster
No charges for towels on check-out.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I just finished a 4 day stay at the HHV. The last time I was there was a year ago. On this occasion I walked over to the Embassy Suites and the Kuhio. I must say that I much prefer the whole feel and setting of the HHV over the other properties. It's right on the beach and the grounds are beautiful!

On my recent visit we found the service to be good and the food decent. Sure, it's expensive but this is a resort. The Diamond/Gold breakfast was just fine for us. Fresh juice, fruit, breads and hard boiled eggs--in a secluded setting overlooking the lagoon.

I'll take the HHV over the other Honolulu Hilton properties any time. (Though in all fairness I did not visit the Doubletree...so who knows how that one is.)
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:35 pm

Talking

does the $20 tip @ the frontdesk work here? to get an upgraded room or any comps?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This place is so popular there is often a queue:

Wailana Coffee House
1860 Ala Moana Boulevard (across Ala Moana from the pond and statuary)
Honolulu, HI 96815, Tel. (808) 955-1764

Down the street and across Ena Road from the Alana Doubletree.

Google place page <link>
Not fancy by any means, good prices and huge menus. They even offer loco moco!

This youtube video captures the experience perfectly: <link>

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Walk to the coffee shop next door to it next time - much better regarded breakfast.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm Reason: add youtube link
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:44 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
I'm staying at this property right now, as it goes. Whilst the location is undeniably beautiful, and the (un-upgraded) room is quite nice, I just get the feeling that they're trying to gouge as much ancillary revenue from their guests as possible.

The first annoyance was that they requested to see my AAA card. I don't mind this on the very rare occasions it happens at BW properties, as they just allow you to pick 'AAA rate' as an option, but Hilton make you fill out your full number every damned time on the website, so this pissed me off somewhat "Aloha! You're a diamond member with 40+ stays this year, but we suspect you're gaming the system"

The second annoyance was the already-mentioned breakfast buffet. Many Hiltons, recognising that the continental breakfast option is unappetising for many frequent stayers, have taken a liberal view of 'continental' and started offering bacon, sausage and egg in their exec lounges. This property has a sub-Best Western standard breakfast with no hot options (not even toast). This is presumably to drive Gold/diamond members to take the bargain $8 discount off the hot buffet.

OK, so neither of these infractions actually violate Hilton policy, but the reason many of us choose Hilton is that we have just grown to expect better.

Cheers,

Paul.

p.s. they also commited one of my pet hates on day 1: went to brew coffee in the AM, and there was not a sachet of sugar, sweetener or creamer to be found :-(

p.p.s. to offset sounding like a complete miserable so and so, the partial view of the ocean from my 41st floor room's balcony is really quite wonderful :-)
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:31 pm
waitlisted

HHV's not what it used to be

Paul, i understand your disappointment. HHV has gone waaaaaaay downhill on what one would expect of a resort Hilton property. the hilton family no longer owns HHV, it was sold to Blackstone LLP about 3 yrs ago, hence the difference. lots of employees have been there way back when the hilton family owned it and will be happy to share some of their memories of way back when when HHV was.... ( there's an ongoing union unresolved issue i.e. no current contract with Blackstone LLP ) don't be surprised if some employees seem indifferent about guest satisfaction.

VIP lounge is a big disappointment. they have further scaled back on the offerings. it was never better than average for starters, so you can just imagine the further scaled down version: limp fruits (i suspect they're leftovers from the previous night's luau at the top of the covered parking structure), cereals, 1 type of sweet bread and cold hard boiled eggs and coffee and 2 types of sugary, watered down juice. that's it! most of the servers are very nice, tho on the plus side.

re: your observation about pricing is spot on. HHV seems to cater more to Japanese tourists nowadays, who may not be as price sensitive as northern American guests. if you decide to eat within the resort, be prepared for a gouge-fest. food is overpriced. i will only eat here on an expense acct. and if im really, really tired to eat outside of the resort.

hilton on kuhio st has far better vip lounge and offerings, cust service and happier employees. also has reasonable prices on their mac 24/7 restaurant. the property is not as nice as HHV though, for one it's not ocean front. nightly rates are about the same as HHV.

Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I stayed here this past January and I agree its over priced and has gone down hill, but th ehotel looks cool from a far and its on the beach! I am going back to Hawaii in March and we are registered at the Sheraton due to price. Any discount codes or deals for the HHV?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by waitlisted
Paul, i understand your disappointment. HHV has gone waaaaaaay downhill on what one would expect of a resort Hilton property. the hilton family no longer owns HHV, it was sold to Blackstone LLP about 3 yrs ago, hence the difference. lots of employees have been there way back when the hilton family owned it and will be happy to share some of their memories of way back when when HHV was.... ( there's an ongoing union unresolved issue i.e. no current contract with Blackstone LLP ) don't be surprised if some employees seem indifferent about guest satisfaction.

VIP lounge is a big disappointment. they have further scaled back on the offerings. it was never better than average for starters, so you can just imagine the further scaled down version: limp fruits (i suspect they're leftovers from the previous night's luau at the top of the covered parking structure), cereals, 1 type of sweet bread and cold hard boiled eggs and coffee and 2 types of sugary, watered down juice. that's it! most of the servers are very nice, tho on the plus side.

re: your observation about pricing is spot on. HHV seems to cater more to Japanese tourists nowadays, who may not be as price sensitive as northern American guests. if you decide to eat within the resort, be prepared for a gouge-fest. food is overpriced. i will only eat here on an expense acct. and if im really, really tired to eat outside of the resort.

hilton on kuhio st has far better vip lounge and offerings, cust service and happier employees. also has reasonable prices on their mac 24/7 restaurant. the property is not as nice as HHV though, for one it's not ocean front. nightly rates are about the same as HHV.
Waitlisted,

Thanks for your reply. Your observations are spot on re: the indifferent employees. I didn't receive any stellar service there and several employees actively dissed the joint. Even the young kids.

Ate lunch at the on site 'New York Diner' as I had limited time, and the 20YO (guess) waiter who took my order for a grilled cheese sandwich asked if I wanted a slice of tomato with that. "Sure" I said. I then looked at the menu out of interest whilst my dining companion ordered and asked "Are you actually going to charge me an extra buck for one slice of tomato?" He shrugged and said "Welcome to the Hilton" and then rolled his eyes- at them, not at my cheapness I might add!

Also, as the week wore on I grew more and more pissed off with the disastrous VIP breakfast. Sure, gouge your one off vacation customers, but deliberately pissing off guests with status in the hope of blagging incidental revenue seems like bad business to me. I'm sure I'm not the only Diamond who dined each morning at the very good Wailana coffee house (Thanks FT) simply on principle.

A beautifully located property, but not one I would even contemplate staying at if not on business.

Cheers,

Paul.

p.s. a testament to how terrible the 'VIP' breakfast is: I went to that room twice- once, naively expecting an edible breakfast and once in Sherlock Holmes mode. On both occasions the terrace door was jammed open and no member of staff was there to inspect incomers. I guess they knew that they had no fears about infiltrators!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
...Anyone (from Hilton also) have great discounts for this place? Its the location we like as we all know its not worth $199 a night! In january 2010 we paid $144 a night and they looked down at us as poor white trash! The attitude was so noticeable, but we never let people like that get to us. Its an old and dated hotel but nice pools and great location...... any good discounts for this over priced, snooty place!

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Dec 31, 2010 at 9:55 pm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Tapa Tower Rooms

Aloha

I have a stay at the HHV in January and am booked into the Tapa Tower. I know that I will not be upgraded to a suite as the hotel will likely be fully booked. I have stayed in the Tapa in the past and remember that some of the rooms are a little larger than the others. I actually had it written down and lost the room numbers. If memory serves me correctly the corner rooms are larger and there is 1 room on each side of the hall as it narrows which is also larger.

If someone happens to know which room numbers in the Tapa are larger and if odd or event face Diamondhead I would appreciate it. If you are staying there it actually shows the larger room numbers in the middle of the hall on the exit map on the back of your door.

WCF
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
I stay at HHV 8-12 times a year and have half a dozen reservations this coming year already. Over the past ten years I think I have stayed in every tower and must have 100 nights there. I am on business and love the location. But really the property is in very bad shape. Other than the newer Kalia tower the rooms are pretty disgraceful - faded, dated, stained carpet, broken fixtures, cracked surfaces, furniture that looks like its out of a 1970s Best Western. I don't get folks who make excuses for this- its basic property maintenance. They should gut Tapa, Rainbow and Alii towers and get them remodeled.

The lounge breakfast is mediocre. As its free (as I'm a gold) I'm OK with it. At least they have eggs. And the servers are very friendly. The lounge could be really nice though if opened all day and treated like a true lounge with evening drinks and canapes, and had a true access enforcement policy.

One new observation is that the front desk has gotten more and more snippy. They 'upgrade' me to the most partial of views or the Alii tower and have made a big deal about it the last couple of times as if they are giving me some huge extra $ value. There's very very little status acknowledgment. Long lines every where. No real service. I have been in hotels with hundreds of rooms where they manage to make you feel special. But at HHV you definitely feel like one of thousands of guests, and not special at all. It's a mass market hotel catering to Japanese and American tourists who don't travel more than once a year and forgive tacky decor and dated rooms cos they are on their once a year (or once in a lifetime) trip to Hawaii.

I don't think any savvy traveler paying for their own vacation should ever consider HHV. Spend a few extra $ and go to the much much nicer Oahu properties (Surfrider, Kahala resort (ok a lot more $), Halekulani - or maybe the new Marriott "Edition" property right next door). I really hope there are plans soon for an upgrade at HHV or another Hilton property on Oahu. I am close to moving over to Marriott and staying at the Edition, or doing Westin Moana Surfrider. Not much more per night (eg 265 verus 229 on my upcoming stay).

Luckily for Hilton and me, the new Q1 promo benefits me as my Jan and Feb business stays are both 4 nights and at a rate with another 10k HHonors points bonus, which is too good to pass up.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I've been upgraded to Ali'i Tower Ocean Front --3rd floor

I checked online today and was offered a complimentary upgrade from ocean view to ocean front. Now I'm wondering if the 3rd floor is a good choice. I've never stayed in the Ali'i Tower, but believe the pool is on or near the 3rd floor. Any experts out there care to weigh in? I'll be there tomorrow.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by flyupfront
I checked online today and was offered a complimentary upgrade from ocean view to ocean front. Now I'm wondering if the 3rd floor is a good choice. I've never stayed in the Ali'i Tower, but believe the pool is on or near the 3rd floor. Any experts out there care to weigh in? I'll be there tomorrow.
I assume OP is referring to the HHV. And there is an existing thread for it.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
I assume OP is referring to the HHV. And there is an existing thread for it.
Yes, HHV Honolulu...but my question is very specific, regarding whether 3rd floor ocean front is decent or too close to pool?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:04 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have been told by that the Rainbow Tower is scheduled for a full renovation starting sometime in April 2011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.