Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Warning from a newbie - AMEX HH Card Bonus Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG

I have been reading this board for some time and appreciate all the great insight you experts have provided in many areas! Since I retired a couple of years ago all my "frequent flyer/traveler" programs are pretty much dead, so reading what you folks have to say to help make the most of what I have is priceless.

I have been building my HH points up anyway I could in preparation for a long driving trip early next year. I reactivated my HH card and was able to apply points from my e-Rewards program (which aren't of much value anywhere else...). Then I got the offer to apply for the HH American Express card - which includes the opportunity to get 10,000 bonus points when you make your first purchase with the card.

And here's where my warning comes in - just in case people like me are reading.

The promo and application for the card specifies that you get the bonus if you make your first purchase with ONE YEAR.

I was approved and received the card 3 days later. Totally contrary to my normal habit I actually read the disclosures that came with it. In the disclosure I noted that it says you can get the 10,000 bonus points if you make your first purchase within 30 DAYS of card approval. Big difference.

I sent an email to HH and they came back with lots of interesting info - but not an answer. In my second email they admitted it was 30 days. I have asked them, and AMEX why they are misleading people and what they are going to do about it.

The point is - I hadn't planned to use the card right away, but I have. I just wanted to alert anyone else that may also just be getting the card so they don't go past the REAL cut off date and miss out on the bonus points.

Again - thanks to everyone for all the hints/tips and just plain good advice I get here!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:47 am

bj2757:

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Interesting: Next to your posting was an ad from American Express. I clicked on the link and made a copy of this:

"....To be eligible to receive 10,000 HHonors bonus points, you must make your first eligible purchase with the Hilton HHonors Platinum Credit Card within one year of Card approval. Bonus points are for first-time Cardmembers only...."

For me it's not a big problem .... I always use new cards right after I get them.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:53 am

Welcome to FT!

Sounds like you didn't sign up for a good promo to begin with...

I recently signed up for the 62,500 point promotion which included 20,000 points with the first purchase, then other bonuses along the way.

When my card arrived I had materials which stated I would receive 10k points with my first purchase but I did indeed receive all 20k
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome :-)
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Good points- always read the fine print & check flyertalk.com before doing anything travel related.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by gj83
Welcome to FT!

I recently signed up for the 62,500 point promotion which included 20,000 points with the first purchase, then other bonuses along the way.

When my card arrived I had materials which stated I would receive 10k points with my first purchase but I did indeed receive all 20k
That happened to me. I signed up through the 50K Promo... then literally a day after my card arrived (and I activated it), the 62500 promo came out

AMEX CSR was unable to assign me the better promotion, but, they were kind enough to give me an extra 3K points as a consolation prize, as well as give me the 2500 points for adding an authorized user.

Lesson here, call and ask to be put on the 62,500 promo, although they will be unable to do so, there is very likely some extra points to be made available to you just by asking.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
Welcome to FT!

gj83:

Do you have a link?
Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by USAFAN
gj83:

Do you have a link?
Thanks!
Try...here
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by animalj7
Try...here
Thanks! That's a good offer. However, I can't use it ... had already an Amex Hilton CC.

To be eligible to receive 20,000 HHonors bonus points, you must make your first eligible purchase with the Hilton HHonors Platinum Credit Card within one year of Card approval. Bonus points are for first-time Cardmembers only.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:47 am
Original Poster

By the way, just a follow-up. After contacting Hilton Honors concerning the "One year vs One month" issue and at first having them send me a full page of interesting info but no answer, they responded to my second email saying that in fact it was "One month" and that the terms set by the credit card company are what counts. They haven't responded to my request asking them what they are doing about their ads and application.

Last night I received an email response from American Express stating that you get the 10,000 points after you make your first purchase (and pay the bill) - and that it did not have to be made withing One month.

I thanked them for the reply even though it contradicted what Hilton told me and what their disclosure states....

I'm taking bets on whether the application and the disclosure say the same thing next month :-)

On a side note I applied for the HH VISA last night - took all of 10 seconds to get an approval for a $15,000 limit. So much for credit being hard to get.

Thanks again for the info and the welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.