Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlottesville {US-VA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlottesville {US-VA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlottesville {US-VA}

Just reserved a stay at the Doubletree Charlottesville for December and on the list of various rates was:

'DBL MILES AND POINTS'

It was the same price as the unrestricted rate so went for it. Haven't seen this kind of thing before...Wondered if there was some Doubletree promotion going on but couldn't find any info it. Seems odd!
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:23 pm

You'll randomly see individual hotels having double points & miles promotions. Sometimes the promo is double miles on a certain airline, sometimes it is double everything. Go ahead and book it and enjoy the double points & miles!

I even once saw a triple miles promo. That was fun
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by myfrogger
You'll randomly see individual hotels having double points & miles promotions. Sometimes the promo is double miles on a certain airline, sometimes it is double everything. Go ahead and book it and enjoy the double points & miles!

I even once saw a triple miles promo. That was fun
Thanks for the info ^

Couldn't find any info about it under the Hotel Specials page seems like a good offer.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
It's a nice hotel, too. Easily the second best in the city (the Omni is nicer - but not a Hilton). You're a bit far from the center of town, but nothing in Charlottesville is more than 10 minutes from anything else.

Good deal ^
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:35 pm

This just happened to me, too. Of course, the double points and miles did not post with the stay. Let's see if I can get them now. In my experience, double points are easy. Double miles are another thing.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:55 pm

Programs: Plat Delta
I just booked a similar offer at a Hilton in Savannah in November. I'll post if I get the points.

I select points and points, so no miles here!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Wdw

Originally Posted by KatJ
I just booked a similar offer at a Hilton in Savannah in November. I'll post if I get the points.

I select points and points, so no miles here!
My booking yesterday at the Hilton at Walt Disney World (staying there for a conference at WDW, not vacation, because I could not in a million years bring myself to book at one of the Disney properties) also came up as 2x points and miles for the same cost as the lowest rate, so I too took it.

We'll see how soon everything posts.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:13 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
This hotel stinks

I had a horrible experience at this hotel. And just read tripadviser and you'll see that I"m not alone. I could get triple miles and I wouldnt go back.

Stay in the Omni or Marriott Courtyard. Heck stay anywhere else.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Doubletree Charlottesville

Looks like there are no reports on this hotel. Here's a stay report from 7/5-7/6

Location: The hotel is on US 29 about 5 miles north of Main Street/Downtown/UVA etc. and 5 miles south of CHO. That puts it about 10 miles from Monticello. The area is saturated with fast food and sit down chain restaurants, gas stations and stores (it's across the street from a Walmart and two miles from a Mall).

Hotel: The hotel is 9 stories tall though the lobby and entrance are on the 3rd floor. There's a lot of meeting space just off the lobby which also has a two computer business center. The lobby also has a large bar (that's open until midnight) and restaurant (open until 11). There's a pool area a level down from the lobby.

Check-in: Handled quickly and told I was upgraded to the Executive Floor AND it was open on weekends! Huge bonus there. Amazingly, a few minutes after check-in the agent called my room to apologize for "insulting me". She and I were talking about Hilton and she'd asked "do you work for Hilton?" and decided later she thought that sounded rude. I'd thought nothing of it but it was nice of her to make sure I wasn't insulted.

Room: Executive King on the 9th (top floor) which required key card to get to. It was a large room with desk, sitting area with couch (and oddly placed chair), coffee table, comfortable bed with outlets next to it (yes!) and a large TV with a good selection of channels. The bathroom was a little small but the shower had amazing water pressure. No complaints about the room.

Exec Lounge/Other: Evening snacks was beer and wine for a cost (a glass of wine was $9), one hot dish (mini quiches), cold cuts, cheese, bread, cookies and vegetables and dip. Breakfast was hot eggs, pastries, bagels, cereal, fruit, yogurt and granola bars. The lounge was open 24 hours for soda/water/juice. They also had a book exchange. Even though you had to use a key to the get to the 9th level, you also had to use a key to get into the lounge.

No complaints about this hotel minus one elevator being out of service leaving only one operational. My rate was $116 and I would stay here again.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have stayed here a few times over the past several years, often as a result of Mother Nature's nasty side resulting in the greater countryside of Albemarle County losing power (derecho, tropical storm, et al) and it taking days to restore (since I am at the far east side of the county, the Short Pump Hilton has also been utilized, that is definitely the nicest Hilton property in Richmond and I highly recommend it). The Doubletree is an older building, but its the closest Hilton prop to the airport and it definitely has the best beds. Staff is generally pleasant and helpful and there is a shuttle to help you get around. The pricing can vary a bit, but often you can get a good deal as its not downtown. The restaurant downstairs is very reasonably priced.

The HGI on Pantops is a closer to downtown, but the rates there are artifically high with one of the hospitals nearby (ditto the Downtown Hampton)
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:22 pm
Original Member

Have stayed here many time - we think we have stayed in every room on the 9th floor. Surprised about the charge for wine - there is a free wine that is poured from 5-8 when it is open. There is also a machine for which you can purchase a card and get the "upgraded" wine.

Wendy, who is the lounge attendant on the weekends, is great. Edna is also great!!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
Have stayed here many time - we think we have stayed in every room on the 9th floor. Surprised about the charge for wine - there is a free wine that is poured from 5-8 when it is open. There is also a machine for which you can purchase a card and get the "upgraded" wine.

Wendy, who is the lounge attendant on the weekends, is great. Edna is also great!!
Ah my mistake I didn't realize there was a free wine. I just saw the machine and assumed that was all they had. The lone attendant was engrossed in conversation with other guests and I didn't think to ask much. Well now I know for next time!

Incidentally, I was in Room 931
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
We stayed here last year. I remember the fire alarm going off twice during the night and receiving no apology on check out Otherwise it was fine.

Neil
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
(it's across the street from a Walmart and two miles from a Mall).
Hmm, now what could I do with a Walmart and a mall?...

Originally Posted by CMK10
AND it was open on weekends!
Whoa!!! Don't see that very often here in the States.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:30 am

Finishing up a stay here and will confirm that everything in the above review from CMK10 is still timely. Both floors 8 and 9 are given the exec/hhonors distinction, so that's a lot of rooms in that category, and despite the hotel being sold out on paper, there was hardly anyone in the EL in the morning or evening. Breakfast was as described above - hot eggs with spinach, pastries, fruit, cereal, oatmeal. In the evening it was one hot app, a couple fairly creative salads, and vegetables. Beer and wine were indeed free, which is rather unique for a U.S. property (as I noted in my reaction over a year ago above). The attendant was Edna, and she was very nice and seemed to know all of the other guests by name.

Over in the breakfast thread some folks had noted that the property allowed Diamonds to eat in the restaurant, but I inquired at check-in and was told that they have discontinued this practice, sadly.

The room I was given (king with sofabed) was identical to the one shown in above photos except that in front of the closet, instead of just empty space there is a pass-through with a second sink. So, if for some reason you like having two sinks, I guess you could ask about that room type.

Good property and would stay here again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.