Self Service Kiosks

Old Sep 3, 2003, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Self Service Kiosks

I didn't see this posted yet, forgive me if it has..Anyone have any experience with Hilton's previous attempt at self serve check in?.

Hilton to try self-serve kiosks in NYC, Chicago

By Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY

Taking a time-saving cue from airlines, Hilton Hotels in December will install self-service kiosks in the lobbies of two of its largest hotels, the Hilton New York and the Hilton Chicago.

If the three-to-six-month test is successful, the 2,400-hotel chain expects to install kiosks in up to 25 more hotels next year. Many airlines are installing kiosks to shorten lines and cut labor costs.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/.../03-hilton.htm
Old Sep 3, 2003, 10:20 am

I am curious how this would work for getting an upgrade. I suppose that an upgrade could be pre-assigned. I know that getting an upgrade to a suite is not an included elite benefit, but occasionally a very nice front desk clerk will give a suite upgrade. I'd be willing to bet that with a kiosk check-in, chances for a suite would diminish greatly. I wonder if this does get implemented, will Hilton offer bonus points for using the kiosks?
Old Sep 3, 2003, 12:01 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
They'll be installed at the Hiltons in NYC and Chicago.

Here's the Hilton press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030903/35267_1.html

Press Release Source: Hilton Hotels Corporation

Hilton Hotels Corporation Teams up With IBM to Launch Self-Service Kiosks in Hotel Lobbies
Wednesday September 3, 7:33 am ET
Hilton Tests New Check-In/Check-Out Alternative at Flagship Properties

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 3, 2003--Hilton Hotels Corporation (NYSE:HLT - News) announced plans today to install and test guest self-service kiosks at two of its largest wholly owned properties -- the 2,035-room Hilton New York and 1,544-room Hilton Chicago -- which will provide hotels and guests alike with a new approach to expedite the check-in/check-out process. Hilton is working with IBM to develop the kiosk hardware and software. This three-to-six month test -- which will begin during the 4th quarter of 2003 -- is the first stage in the potential rollout of self-service kiosks at the Hilton Family of Hotels -- which feature such well-known brands as Hilton, Conrad, Doubletree, Embassy Suites Hotels, Hampton Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites by Hilton.

"Today's frequent travelers are increasingly sophisticated technology users who have been using self-service technology, such as bank ATMs, for several years. This type of tech-savvy traveler will benefit from this alternative to the traditional hotel check-in, particularly during peak hours," said Tim Harvey, chief information officer for Hilton Hotels Corporation. "The Hilton proprietary, standardized technology platform, OnQ(TM), which reinforces our Customer Really Matters (CRM) strategy, has been the catalyst for launching this program. Our hotels now have access to up-to-the-minute information regarding guest preferences and service-recovery alerts, and we can transition that into an opportunity to provide prompt, accurate service to incoming guests."

During the pilot test at the Hilton Chicago and Hilton New York, travelers can check in at one of several kiosks that will be placed at strategic points in each hotel's front lobby. By inserting a credit card for identification purposes, guests can follow a set of simple on-screen instructions and utilize the touch screens to check in to the hotel. The kiosk displays the traveler's reservation, selects a room based on the customer's preferences, issues a room key and provides printed room directions and information. At the end of the stay, the traveler can check out at a kiosk in the same fashion by reviewing and confirming their bill and printing out a receipt for their records. Members of the Hilton HHonors guest reward program will eventually have the opportunity to access their account and update their membership profiles.

"Self-service kiosks have been positively received by travelers at airports worldwide, because of the convenience they provide to the traditional check-in process," said Thomas Spitler, vice president - front office operations & systems for Hilton. "The human element always has been and always will continue to be a critical cornerstone of the hospitality industry. This initiative is just one more example of how Hilton continues to implement user-friendly, leading-edge technology to improve guest service for those that want it. Self-service kiosks will allow our guest service agents to focus on providing value-added services to those guests who require it."

Hilton anticipates that the majority of guests will be able to check in at self-service kiosks without assistance. However, hotel staff will be readily available to answer questions and assist guests or to direct guests with additional service needs to the fully staffed front desk. The company believes that this new technology alternative could lead to improving guest service by reducing line time, thereby increasing customer convenience and reducing transaction costs.

"We are pleased that Hilton Hotels Corporation has chosen to work with us, thereby becoming one of the first major hotel companies to test and implement this powerful new technology," said Rob Ranieri, practice lead, e-Access, IBM Global Services. "IBM's experience in developing check-in kiosks for worldwide airlines, airports and passenger rail companies will enable us to assist Hilton in anticipating and proactively addressing technology and operational issues. This expertise will also be tremendously useful in addressing the guest experience that is so vital to the hospitality industry."

About IBM

IBM, the global market leader in travel check-in kiosk systems, has more than 3,000 self-service check-in kiosks installed or on order at over 200 locations worldwide. IBM's Electronic Access team, which is part of IBM Global Services, provides worldwide support for all of IBM's self-service application software, middleware and kiosk hardware development. For more information on travel/hospitality related solutions from IBM and its business partners, please visit www.ibm.com/industries/travel.

About Hilton Hotels Corporation

Hilton Hotels Corporation is recognized internationally as a preeminent hospitality company. The company develops, owns, manages or franchises more than 2,000 hotels, resorts and vacation ownership properties. Its portfolio includes many of the world's best known and most highly regarded hotel brands, including Hilton, Conrad, Doubletree, Embassy Suites Hotels, Hampton Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Grand Vacations Company and Homewood Suites by Hilton.

For more information on the Hilton Family of Hotels, please visit www.hiltonworldwide.com.

Hilton Hotels Corporation
310-205-4545
Jeanne Datz, [email protected]
Thomas Wingham, [email protected]
http://www.hiltonworldwide.com
or
IBM
Linda Hanson, 914-642-5447
[email protected]

Source: Hilton Hotels Corporation
Old Sep 3, 2003, 1:06 pm
Original Member

I like the idea that HHonors members may in future be able to access their account from these kiosks - it opens up the chance to print a 2 for 1 meal deal voucher (for instance) and use it that evening.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 1:59 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Like with an airline kiosk and seats, perhaps the guest would be able to simply see what rooms are available and pick and choose. Elites could be shown upgrade options based on their membership level. If the good ones have been blocked, then we would see the last of the pickin's.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 7:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
Like with an airline kiosk and seats, perhaps the guest would be able to simply see what rooms are available and pick and choose. Elites could be shown upgrade options based on their membership level. If the good ones have been blocked, then we would see the last of the pickin's.</font>
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read this. To me, the greatest advantage of airline kiosks over GAs is the fact that I can actually see the seat and choose myself. Hopefuly, someone will come up with a roomguru website to assist us in picking the best room.

Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:22 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

If they will be like the kiosks of Delta Air Lines, I welcome them as long as personal service is not sacrificed when needed (such as when a problem arises).

It literally takes me less than one minute to check in on Delta Air Lines using a kiosk, and I have been able to upgrade at the kiosk when it offered it, as well as change my seat. There is even an option to change my flight to another flight, if necessary!

Count me in as liking this good idea, if it is done correctly.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:52 am

I also like the idea if we are able to choose our room from the available inventory. Even better if potential upgrades are able to be chosen for elites. I agree that if done properly, this could be a very good thing.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:30 am

I remember the last time they tried this and what a complete waste of time and shambles it was.

After using it a few times, most of the pilot group seemed to think that having no human contact at check-in was something some very cheap chain-motels do (credit card access to lobby and room) well, but not something you wanted from a full-service hotel when you are paying a full-service price.

Last time I originally liked the idea, but soon came to the conclusion that a fully-staffed and well tranined reception with no demarcation between check-in and check-out/cashier was by far a more satisfactory arrangement.

Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Myth of Self-Service ... it's not always best, it's not always worse, but it's always part of a strategy to re-direct resource use costs from the traditional service provider to the end consumer; of course, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, and often it has unintended consequences (e.g., the airline industry's push for self-service tools such as pushing for direct sales via the internet has increased pricing transparency for end consumers thus creating hyper-competition; e.g., the airline industry's push for self-service kiosks and web check-in dilute the distinction between the frequent flier meisters vs. the light seasonal vacation traveller thus making it easier for all travellers to freely choose whichever carrier is matrixed for their particular version of best price -- inclusive of frequent flier mile/rebate adjustment -- best timed, and best quality/service instead of their "preferred" carrier based on status.)
Old Sep 7, 2003, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
I thought, a-ha, Hilton are following the well-trodden path of Formule 1 hotels in France .

Then I wondered, if I needed to change a room (as I have occasionally done - most recently at the Westin Times Square in July when my room was under the running machines of the health centre), I'd be back in the hands of humans anyway.

Then I saw Merry's comment and decided I'll most likely seek the human touch at the NY Hilton later in the month .

(Not sure when it starts - one story says September, another says fourth quarter.)

[edited for typo]

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-07-2003).]
Old Sep 7, 2003, 3:34 am

The thing that seems the most encouraging to me, in regard to this system, is that the issue of lack of training regarding elite HHonors benefits may not come into play.

That is, of course, unless the programmers of the system fall asleep at the wheel.

Mike
Old May 23, 2005, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Ambassador
Self Service Kiosks and Reward Benefits

Anyone have any experience with the self-service kiosks at Hiltons? Do the room upgrades happen on the spot when one is checking in or are the room assignments made sometime prior to check in? I guess my question is: Do I forego any chance of an upgrade by using the self-service kiosk?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Airline Check-in / Boarding Passes from Hilton Kiosks

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...413&ID=5642290

Further enhancing the travel experience for its guests, from travel planning and check-in to check-out and beyond, Hilton Hotels has announced that the brand now enables guests to print boarding passes for most major airlines at check-in/check-out kiosks within the lobbies of 37 participating Hilton hotels.

The new technology interfaces with 18 major airlines. To print boarding passes, hotel guests follow the simple step-by-step instructions on the kiosk. Using the airlines' own web pages, they can check in for their flight, change seats, request upgrades and print their boarding pass at the kiosk. There is no cost to the guest for this service.

"The ability to print boarding passes provides yet another convenience to consumers who are looking to expedite the airline check-in process," said Tim Harvey, executive vice president and chief information officer. "We believe that by expanding the capabilities of our kiosks with a time-saving solution for flight check-in, guests will have more time for relaxation or other priorities."

Additional existing features of the Hilton check-in kiosks include: enabling guests to view their reservation, check-in to the hotel, obtain the room key and view pre-arrival messages. At the end of the stay, the traveler can check-out at a kiosk by reviewing their bill, confirming or changing the payment method and printing or emailing a copy of the receipt. Hotel staff is readily available to greet guests, answer questions and assist, if needed, at the kiosks. Traditional front-desk services and guest assistance will continue to be available to all customers.

"Travel is about enjoying the journey, and enabling our guests to check into their flight from our lobby kiosks will save them time that is ideally spent on more pleasurable pursuits," said Jeffrey Diskin, senior vice president - Hilton brand management.

Further committed to enhancing the experience of its commuting guests, the Hilton brand also is expanding its Food on the Fly program, currently available at Hilton O'Hare and Hilton Los Angeles Airport, which offers gourmet to-go meals in a box. The Food on the Fly service eases guests' overall travel experience at a time when most airlines no longer automatically provide a meal on flights.

The following hotels offer airline check-in in their lobby kiosks:

Hilton Alexandria -- Mark Center, Va.
Hilton Suites Anaheim/Orange, Calif.
Hilton Anchorage, Alaska
Hilton Atlanta Airport, Ga.
Hilton Austin, Texas
Hilton Suites Brentwood, Tenn.
Hilton Boston Back Bay, Mass.
Hilton Boston Logan Airport, Mass.
Hilton Burbank Airport, Calif.
Hilton Chicago, Ill.
Hilton Chicago O'Hare, Ill.
Hilton DFW Lakes, Texas
Hilton East Brunswick, N.J.
Hilton Harrisburg, Pa.
Hilton Hawaiian Village, Hawaii
Hilton Houston Convention Center
Hilton Little Rock, Ark.
Hilton McLean, Va.
Hilton Memphis, Tenn.
Hilton Millennium, N.Y.
Hilton Minneapolis, Minn.
Hilton New Orleans Riverside, La.
Hilton New York & Towers, N.Y.
Hilton Norfolk Airport, Va.
Hilton Suites Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
Hilton Oakland Airport, Calif.
Hilton Omaha Convention Center, Neb.
Hilton Pittsburgh, Pa.
Hilton Portland, Ore.
Hilton San Francisco & Towers, Calif.
Hilton San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, Calif.
Hilton Vancouver, B.C.
Hilton Walt Disney World Village(R), Fla.
Hilton Washington & Towers, D.C.
Hilton Washington Dulles, Va.
Hilton Woodcliff Lakes, N.J.
The Waldorf=Astoria, N.Y.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:04 am

I used this to check in for my DL flight at the Chicago Hilton earlier this week, and it was great. Since it is essentially a web check in, you can do it 24 hours prior to your flight (or whatever your airline web check in allows). Just remember to make sure you log out of your account after you're done!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.