Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Early Check-Out Fees: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07

My last two HH stays were an H and DT in southern California, and both properties informed me at check-in there would be a $50 fee for checking out prior to my original departure date.

This is totally new to me. Have I been sleepwalking?

Seems absolutely ludicrous, and unenforceable when it isn't disclosed at time of reservation.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
An easy way to get around the early check out fee is to make reservations for individual days and cancel extra days if you must leave early.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freqflyNW:
An easy way to get around the early check out fee is to make reservations for individual days and cancel extra days if you must leave early.</font>
I now do this at all hotels, and also get the online booking bonuses as well for each day. One thing to watch out for is to make sure there is plenty of availability at the hotel for each night and to monitor that. I usually do that by trying to book multiple rooms and see if they are still selling a lot of cheaper internet pre-pay specials.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

So, are y'all saying that these fees are standard practice nowadays? When did they start charging them?

Have you run into resistant to the multiple one-night stay tactic?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
One thing to watch out for is to make sure there is plenty of availability at the hotel for each night and to monitor that.</font>
Why is this an issue, if you have a res for each night?

Old Dec 18, 2002, 3:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rut Dog:
So, are y'all saying that these fees are standard practice nowadays? When did they start charging them?
</font>
I recently checked out early from the Doubletree Westwood in LA and was not charged an early checkout fee. This was on 11/14.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 2:37 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I have seen this recently at Hilton's along the West Coast. Vancouver Hilton Metro is trying to enforce it..... but its not going over very well there. Last time I stayed there, I was told this and when I told them I would go elsewhere they removed it from the registration sheet. Same at the Oakland Hilton and the Claremont in Oakland.

Generally speaking the market is too soft for them to enforce such a silly rule and the clerk is stuck, they dont want to lose a reservation.

I should note that none of the above hotels had a method to alert me to this when I made my reservations.

------------------
AA member since 1981.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:49 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Is Hilton trying to find ways to ding their most frequent customers? I did not realise that Hilton had so many customers that they can afford to charge people extra for leaving early. I would imagine that in many cases, many people are leaving early to go on to the next destination and checking in with Hilton again.

Old Dec 20, 2002, 8:29 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
The Hilton at IAD also has an early checkout fee.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 8:45 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Call credit card company. Dispute charge. Give Hilton finger.

Repeat as desired .

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 9:00 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TxLobo:
I should note that none of the above hotels had a method to alert me to this when I made my reservations.
</font>
It seems to me that's the key.

I will be sure to refuse to acknowldge the validity of this fee in the future.

Old Dec 20, 2002, 9:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
A number of hotels have been trying this for some time now...not that I've ever see it enforced, but then again I usually don't leave early.
At Chicago Hyatt earlier this year I was concerned about getting out on the Sunday of the marathon, so I asked about checking out early..."Yes, but there is a charge". Things changed fast when on Saturday they were oversold by 200 rooms and were waiving incidentals and giving bonus Passport points to leave early!
Old Dec 20, 2002, 7:15 pm

I know we all get concerned when fees are added. However, I like to look at the "early departure fee" as a contract termination fee. Basically, I entered into a contract with Hilton to supply me with X number of nights. Should I wish to terminate the contract early, a fee will be applied. So in order for us, there clients, to avoid such a fee. We should enter into only short term contracts (i.e. one night). Although this could be a hassle, book your rooms online for Jan. and Feb. 2003 and get 1,000 HH points each time.

Hilton will then get what they incent; which is more people using the online booking system and receiveing HH points, and less revenue from early departures.

Just my thoughts - Have a great Holiday everyone!!
Old Dec 20, 2002, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 26miles:
However, I like to look at the "early departure fee" as a contract termination fee.</font>
A contract, by definition, must disclose all terms when both parties enter into it. This fee is disclosed only at check-in, when the guest is at a significant disadvantage. It would be different if this fee were disclosed at reservation, but it's not.

Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:52 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
To answer your question RUTDOG, I think it has been around several years. I also think it will go the way of the "energy surcharges" eventually. I have never been charged it since most of my stays are leisure and I generally don't leave early. I have been informed of it on several stays at least a year and 1/2 ago.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 4:33 am

Lasy year at the Hilton Hartford was the first time for me and it was $75.00. My concern was that the reservation was for Monday through Friday and knew there was a fairly good chance that I might leave on Thursday. I expressed my concern and the gal stated that I could revise check out for a day early and then add another day if needed. Must have been availability for the last night.

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.