Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Honeymoon Thread: 2001-2010

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sorry to rain on the parade but...Ireland in November? On your honeymoon? It's a wonderful country with some of the friendliest folks on the planet, but be prepared for lots of cold, gray and rain. If you head to Europe at all, the southern Europe recommendation makes sense, though certainly don't expect beach weather.

Having said that, Paris and Venice (once you get off the beaten track in the latter) are the two most romantic cities my wife and I have ever been. Not ideal weather in November, certainly, but wonderful places to explore, regardless. Barcelona is also supposed to be a great town.

And if weather is a priority on your honeymoon, within your travel parameters Los Cabos does seem to make a lot of sense.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Sorry to rain on the parade but...Ireland in November?
Well the research concurs with your comment. Although it would have been an interesting trip, we are going to bank it for another time.

We've decided to attend Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa. It seemed to get really good marks from a lot of different websites. I also seems to have a little bit of everything we were looking for. Although it might not be the greatest resort of all times, I really thing we are going have a good time and the resort will fit our needs well. Particularly Costa Rica, it seems to offer the sun, adventure (safety) and fishing that we are wanting to partake in...all in a weeks time.

Any suggestions on charter boats/captains out of Papagayo? The Wifey is going to do a spa day or two and I'll do some offshore fishing. Some of the going rates for 8 hours offshore trips are $600 - $800. Seems comparable to other services I have used. Does this sound about right for the area? Again, any suggestions on charters/captains to use? I want to go offshore.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sounds like a nice honeymoon in store. Can't really answer your fishing questions, but if you don't get replies in this thread you might also try asking in the appropriate forum in the Travel and Dining section here at FT, as well as fishing around (sorry, couldn't resist) in Tripadvisor.com

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you talking about the NOR1 upgrades? Those are not guaranteed.
Nope, this is the upgrade offer sent directly from hotel reservation staff.

Hey txny, would you mind sharing when your staying is booked for? i was quoted at the following rate for a late October stay. I wanted to see if season had anything to do with the rates...though thought Oct would be low season.
Deluxe Garden bungalow Complimentary*
Lagoon Bungalow 11398 XPF
Overwater Bungalow 15958 XPF
Panoramic Overwater 23939 XPF
Garden pool suite 23939 XPF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18750745-post500.html
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Good for you! Hope you get the best rooms possible, though of course expect them not to come through...then it will be a pleasant surprise if they do and not a disappointment if they don't.

As I might have mentioned in my long post upthread, awardnexus.com is a very good site for finding award availability and for signing up for email alerts that you'll get if specific flights or routes open up. As with any award flights, make sure that you have not just a confirmation from the airline whose miles you're using (AA?), but also a confirmation number from the partner airline(s) you're flying on and a ticket number for your flights(s).
Thanks for your help! I will make sure to have all the confirmation numbers/ticket numbers with me before I leave to avoid any issues in transit. I haven't checked awardnexus.com yet (I'll have a look), but I did call AA and sure enough, two first class seats opened up for my 13 hour ORD-NRT leg! I'll see what I can do now in terms of reducing the connections and layover times, but the jump to first class is a huge relief for me. I was very happy with the trip as booked but the only thing nagging at me was having to use 55K miles for Business instead of a piddly 7.5K more for First because of the last minute nature of the booking.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kdw133
Sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful. It's just that the plan all along was to use these points and miles on a splurge honeymoon. And now that it's here, it's just disappointing it's not all falling into place. We're a young couple and the fiance is in grad school, so it's not like we have a lot of money to spend on it otherwise.

I think I did a lot of due diligence on the various HH properties and the Hilton Moorea came out the clear winner based on exotic locale, accommodations, reasonable nearby food options, and points per night. To come to that decision only to find that UA basically can't get us there is disappointing, although I see your point that I can't really blame United for not getting me to a remote destination. What does rub a little salt in the wound is that United will let you book the ticket with cash.

Furthermore, I have some personal regret because I made the decision early on the try to fly UA as much as possible and collect UA miles. I'm not sure of the exact reason, I think they had a little better availability for the places I was going at the time. I very easily could have flown AA instead and collected the same amount of AA miles. Those AA miles are exactly what I need now.
And I'm sorry if I came across as harsh. But don't kick yourself for a decision to fly one airline over the other, or resent FF award rules that exclude some kinds of bookings. It's all the wisdom of hindsight and water under the bridge.

Personally, if this is a splurge and certainly because it's your honeymoon, I'd say blow the miles on a C or better yet F ticket to go to some distant destination. As opposed to Y, that means the honeymoon will start as soon as you step on the plane and the trip home will extend the bliss. But you don't seem to want to follow my advice on how you should live your life.

Originally Posted by RewardTraveler
You can get both a Bank of America and a Bank of Hawaii version on the same day, which would yield 70k, but you are right, it would require a wait while the spends were accomplished.
Originally Posted by kdw133
RewardTraveler, thanks again. Sorry I misattributed your information earlier.

That is an option then, but we would have to get on the spends right away. I don't know what the award availability is for those HA flights, but we're at about 330 days right now.
IIRC, the time from when my wife and I each applied for both cards to when we did the initial spending and then the miles finally posted was about two months, but that's just a very rough guess.

Originally Posted by luv2go
Please reconsider Bali!! Or even Thailand!! You points can definitely get you there. Much more exotic than Hawaii
+1

And Hilton has fantastic options in both places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.