Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Using Reward certs on other people

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Reward certs on other people

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
I know it isn't strictly allowed, but is there any way that this can be done?

I'd love to take my folks on a brief roadtrip, and use one cert for them, and one for my wife and I. Any ways to do this, talking nicely to the hotel for example?

I read in the terms and conditions that a reward cert can be issued to any person in the Member's family, but are not transferable after that.

What if my family is with me, why would that be different from me paying for both rooms on my own credit card on a normal stay?

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 27, 2010 at 10:45 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:44 pm

You will have no problem using your rewards for your family. It's allowed.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I think you may have to call, I think I remember that you can't do it on line.

But it is fine, no problem.

I often treat family to rooms. They often ask for them too......
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: British Air, Virgin, Alaska, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I've done it several times--on road trips with my parents. Call Diamond desk if you have access, that always works for me.

Originally Posted by Motorskills
I know it isn't strictly allowed, but is there any way that this can be done?

I'd love to take my folks on a brief roadtrip, and use one cert for them, and one for my wife and I. Any ways to do this, talking nicely to the hotel for example?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
I only found this out (i.e. that I could only use them for myself, once issued) after speaking to the Diamond line - think I should try again, try my luck with a different operator?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, National Executive, SkyTeam Elite
I've given reward stays to family members even when I wasn't present. They actually issue the reward stay using the family member's name so there isn't any issue using a certificate with your name on it when you are not present.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys that's highly encouraging. (But it doesn't change the fact that I got refused the first time I tried it. )

Based on the above, I will certainly retry. I was trying to book two rooms on the same night at a W-A using the "Have-A-Night-On-Us vouchers". Should I just go for it again, or would I have different luck booking each individually via separate calls to the Diamond desk?

The last thing I want is to run the risk of getting rejected at check-in.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:26 am

I'm not sure about the Have a Stay on us Certs. I only know that you can use regular reward certificates for rooms for others.

Bobette
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:19 am
cjd

Originally Posted by Motorskills
Thanks for the replies guys that's highly encouraging. (But it doesn't change the fact that I got refused the first time I tried it. )

Based on the above, I will certainly retry. I was trying to book two rooms on the same night at a W-A using the "Have-A-Night-On-Us vouchers". Should I just go for it again, or would I have different luck booking each individually via separate calls to the Diamond desk?

The last thing I want is to run the risk of getting rejected at check-in.
The "Have a Night on Us" vouchers are already issued to the Hhonors member only and are not transferable. The T & C state: Once issued, rewards are not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the reward. If a person other than the individual named on the reward documentation attempts to redeem the reward, the reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied. Same conditions applied to the free night FN601 certificate.

What you are allowed to do is use your Hhonors points for awards to family members and get the Award certificates issued in their names. I've done this numerous times and is what the above Ft'ers are referring too.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cjd
The "Have a Night on Us" vouchers are already issued to the Hhonors member only and are not transferable. The T & C state: Once issued, rewards are not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the reward. If a person other than the individual named on the reward documentation attempts to redeem the reward, the reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied. Same conditions applied to the free night FN601 certificate.

What you are allowed to do is use your Hhonors points for awards to family members and get the Award certificates issued in their names. I've done this numerous times and is what the above Ft'ers are referring too.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.