Expired Registration

Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Expired Registration

Hey Guys --

I rented a car this morning at BWI. After arriving at my destination I was getting my things and noticed the registration expired in August (5 months ago...?!?). I'm going to return the car tonight and get a new one. What type of comp (if any) should I expect for the hassle of having to return / pick up a new vehicle?

Matt
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:05 pm

Expired registration only matters if you get pulled over, and then you just explain that it's a rental car. Are you planning on getting pulled over?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by enigmamatt
Hey Guys --

I rented a car this morning at BWI. After arriving at my destination I was getting my things and noticed the registration expired in August (5 months ago...?!?).
August is 7 months ago. Are you sure it isn't August 09?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:31 pm

I've had cars that were over the temporary tag. I didn't exchange it, just let them know at drop off.

I don't pretend to know how to read other state's expiration dates. In some states you have 1 sticker for the month (in numbers) and another for the year. NY doesn't put stickers on the plates but rather it goes on the windshield and is good for 2 years.

I say just let it go but point it out when you drop off the vehicle.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL FO, US Silver, MR Plat, HH Silver
My rental from DCA last week had a VA state safety inspection that expired in January. Not the first time I have had that with Hertz. Don't think I ever had an expired registration though.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by noah
August is 7 months ago. Are you sure it isn't August 09?

Yep -- It's pretty clear that the date listed (08/08) is the expiration date.

No -- not planning on getting pulled over but do not want to deal with the hassle if I do.

Matt
Old Mar 9, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I've never paid much attention to the registration expiration dates on rentals, but will try to remember to check now when picking up. It's possible that the registration has been renewed, but the sticker hasn't caught up with the car.

For cars that stay in one place for a while, it should be easy for the agencies to update the stickers when the registration is renewed. For cars that take a lot of one way trips, especially out of state, I can see where it would be a logistical mess to actually get the sticker and registration card onto the car.

Unless I was keeping the car for a while, or planning on taking a long highway trip, I would probably not bother exchanging it before my rental is over.

Have you called Avis to discuss? Maybe they will do a swap without you having to go back to the lot.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I got one in ANC that was expired. I found out when I got the ticket. I took the car back to Hertz where they "found" the registration. (I can almost gurantee they just stuck on some tags they had back there LOL!) Hertz also paid the ticket! (Apparently in ANC cops just drive around parking lots ticketing cars for this?)
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Cool Really?

Is all this true?

I've rented hundreds of cars, and never seen a registration slip. The contract covers it. I'm just surprised that they would last through the many times a car would be rented, or for that reason, that the company would trust to leave them in the cars.

Now, I did have an interesting experience when I was pulled over for plates that didn't match the car. When the guy saw my contract, he said the rental car companies do that all the time, and sent me on my way. That was years ago. Now, their computers immediately show who owns the plate and the car. (A friend is a cop.) Come to think of it, for that reason, in these stories it's also hard to believe that the police/patrol didn't know who owned the car the moment s/he "ran it".
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:11 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I got stopped driving a rental with expired tags on it -- amazed for two reasons:

1) I was stopped on the highway. The cop must have had eagle-eyes, because he spotted expired tags at 55mph, from the median and across three lanes of traffic.

2) He actually ticketed me for it, despite the car being a rental and despite the fact that I held an out-of-country driving license. Seems like he needed to make his numbers that month, but a clear case of procedure & revenue concerns trumping common sense.

In any case, I handed the ticket in to Hertz and they promised take care of it. My only concern was whether they would, and in a timely fashion.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:19 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
I took a hired car with an expired tax disc on the Dublin ferry - I hadn't noticed either that, or the fact that (this back in the days of green card insurance)
the box was ticked for the country above Ireland, which happended to be Iraq.
Car politely but thoroughly searched when I arrived, but no problems (apart
from my embarrassment at the apple cores, dog leads, old newspapers, muddy boots etc on the floor)
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:19 am

A few years ago I did my usual walk around of my rental and noticed it was missing its front license plate (it was tagged for Virginia, which requires plates on the front). Since I would be parking the car in DC and I knew that DC's parking enforcement are particularly eagle-eyed, I didn't want to worry about any potential tickets and asked for another car.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enigmamatt
No -- not planning on getting pulled over but do not want to deal with the hassle if I do.
You're ensuring a hassle by swapping out the car versus potentially having to deal with one if there actually are troubles. I'd play the odds in that situation.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've often wondered what it must be like for any of the car rental companies to get stickers on the cars when they do renew the registrations. At any given day the car can be just about anywhere.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I never looked at the back of my rental today before getting in and driving. After a while I noticed that it had no inspection sticker on the windshield. I had seen the front, and there was no license plate on the front. Hm. What state has no inspection stickers and no license plate on the front? Well, maybe there is one, but when I finally looked around back it had a PA tag. Weird. They must have replaced the windshield is all I can figure. I only have it until Saturday so probably won't be an issue....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.