Bad press for Hertz in Business Week

Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Bad press for Hertz in Business Week

The new Business Week (March 2 issue date, received today) is none-too-kind to Hertz.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1026559235.htm

Point of the article is that smart companies understand how important it is to provide service that will retain customers during difficult times. Not-so-smart companies cut 4000 employees, eliminate return agents, keep cars past 30,000 miles, etc., etc. I had been willing to tolerate Hertz's premium pricing as the company offered premium service. Looks like that is now a thing of the past.

Like the airlines, Hertz is on a path to destroy customer loyalty by diluting its product. Time to go price shopping.

Last edited by OldRoyal; Feb 22, 2009 at 6:55 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
My company has already shopped around in the US and now has all 3 agencies... sadly for Europe we're still all stuck with an exclusive deal with Hertz till 2010.... lets hope after that we switch away too.

As an example, about 4/5 of my colleagues pick up a car from MANchester in the UK each Monday, around 9.30-10am (peak times). Now there appears to be one overwhelmed agent (even the 2 they had previously had too much work), limited number of drivers to deliver the cars and everyone has to wait between 30mins-1hour to leave. Ridiculous, makes everyone annoyed and there doesn't seem to be a need. I complained, and as a PC they seem to have fixed it so that I always have my car immediately, but, still have to queue to talk to the agent. So many first timers in that queue just ring up their travel agencies and switch to Avis next door which has 2 agents, even though quiet, and get a car before the Hertz one they've booked, either that or complain about ridiculous! I saw one Platinum asking for the manager's number as he had no car and had to wait for 30mins too.... he was treated just the same as any other customer though... not a good idea!

Thanks for the interesting article link!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I find this trend sad.... I am in the process of using up my Gold points for my personal rentals and will probably just move everything to National after that. Nationals service isn't great either, but I was willing to "pay for service" with Hertz. Now I am paying a little more for what??? Apparently not service? So I might as well go cheaper if I am going to get so so to poor service either way!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just received my Executive card from National on Friday. They will be my primary agency from now on for regular business rentals.

Now I think of Hertz just like I think of Budget, Dollar, and Thrifty: another lesser-service agency that I'll consider when the price is very attractive. I'll weigh every Hertz rental against an identical rental with Exec Aisle and decide whether the costs at Hertz are low enough to make me endure poor service to save money.

For weekend rentals, the CDP/PC codes sometimes make Hertz very cheap, so I'll still be there on occasion. But it's still ironic how a few years ago, I thought of Hertz as the "premium" product and everyone else as the backup alternative if I could save a significant chunk of change.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:10 am

I too am moving my business elsewhere whenever possible. The lack of Gold service and lack of rental return service negate any positives.

However I did have an excellent HLE experience this weekend, with a choice of a Camry or a Jetta (!! - I have NEVER seen those at US locations). Pick up and return were quick and hospitable. I know that one really cannot compare an HLE to airport service, but my other HLE experiences have always been mediocre or even painful waits.

National will see more of my business in both America and Europe, and I may even go the Sixt route at MUC. (And if I do go that route I will report back as to my experience after years of poor MUC rentals)
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have two HLE's within 5 miles of my house...both of them are reasonably good. They have Camries but I don't think I've ever seen a WV. We use them when we need a regular car for a roadtrip. Unfortunately, their rates for vans are sky-high. I never see a van sitting in front of either location, so maybe they have to get one from the airport location whenever somebody wants one...I don't know.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by OldRoyal
The new Business Week (March 2 issue date, received today) is none-too-kind to Hertz.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1026559235.htm
I was interviewed by Business Week after they read my thread on BUF, but guess they decided to go with some one else.

No matter.

I do hope that Hertz takes this as a wake up call.

I had another bad BUF HLE rental experience this weekend. That will be my first and last rental with BUF HLE.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
In the past month he has returned Hertz cars to the Boston and Minneapolis airports only to find nobody waiting with a handheld check-in device. In Minneapolis, Garber had to drag his bags to the counter to return his car;

I'm surpised they'd do this in a hub city. That's bold. I'd surely hope this was an out-of-hours issues, and not an all-day issue.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Globehopper
I was interviewed by Business Week after they read my thread on BUF, but guess they decided to go with some one else.

No matter.

I do hope that Hertz takes this as a wake up call.

I had another bad BUF HLE rental experience this weekend. That will be my first and last rental with BUF HLE.
I was contacted and asked to contribute after my posts as well but declined due to my busy travel schedule. I also felt that since I didn't rent in January 09 at all (due to my location) I wasn't a fair representation of the wider Hertz 2009 experience.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Like others said, once my company opened up National and Nation/My Company proactively gave me a top-tier status match, I never looked back.

While the service isn't earth shattering better, I consistently get a clean, well appointed car and prompt return. Sorry Hertz, you shot yourself in the foot. Too many dirty 20k+ cars for a PC -- just wasn't my thing.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Moved to Budget

Several years ago I switched from Budget to Hertz. Primarily due to lousy service at Budget. At the time the difference in daily rates was about $10, so for the better Hertz service I was willing to pay the price.

In the past year my Hertz daily rental charges started increasing, reaching $72 per day for a full size. For a recent weekly rental Hertz wanted $572, which sent me packing looking for alternatives. For the same rental Budget was under $300. And for my daily rentals? $38 per day.

I like good service, but am not willing to pay double for the privilege. At LAX I quickly discovered the Budget service had not gotten any better. I watched about 20 Hertz buses go by in the 20 minutes before Budget got there. Then I stepped out to get on the bus the surly driver began driving away with me standing in front of the door, claiming not to have seen me (after I flagged him down). I guess that's what I'll have to put up with, but at a 50% discount this is going to be my lot in life.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Try National at LAX. Took them last Monday. Cheaper then Hertz, bus was fine and service as at least on the same leavel as Hertz.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I also have moved on to other options. As I have said in other posts they want you to still pay for the "premium" service they used to offer. All you get now is junk vehicles, no upgrades, no return people, long lines at non canopy locations.

If they want to drop there prices to be a "cheap" rental car place that is fine and I will rent again from them. I will not rent from them again unless I have too until they go back to being awesome or drop prices.

Why rent from Hertz and get a 35K miles, smelly, beat up, no key fob, stripped down vehicle in the class you reserved when I can go to National or Avis or even Dollar or Alamo and get a better car, better service and a better price.

It is a no brainier for me! I don't understand why Hertz doesn't get it!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP+2MM & WN CP
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
I also have moved on to other options. As I have said in other posts they want you to still pay for the "premium" service they used to offer. All you get now is junk vehicles, no upgrades, no return people, long lines at non canopy locations.

If they want to drop there prices to be a "cheap" rental car place that is fine and I will rent again from them. I will not rent from them again unless I have too until they go back to being awesome or drop prices.

Why rent from Hertz and get a 35K miles, smelly, beat up, no key fob, stripped down vehicle in the class you reserved when I can go to National or Avis or even Dollar or Alamo and get a better car, better service and a better price.

It is a no brainier for me! I don't understand why Hertz doesn't get it!
I totally agree with your post! Hertz has become a joke! I rented 2 cars last week and both cars were filthy and had at least 35K miles on it... The camry had a bad engine noise and the mustang had a bumper about to fall off (yes it was marked on the inspection slip so I didn't worry too much)... Also 1 of the 2 rentals the name wasn't on the board despite being right on time and had to wait behind about 15 people in DFW....
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know...I don't really have any major complaints with Hertz. The cars may have more miles on them now than they did two years ago, but they're still in good condition, IME. I seem to be getting a lot of upgrades (as 5*); the best was renting a midsize at SLC for $25/day and getting a Subaru Forrester SUV (good thing, because it snowed in Park City!).

I also don't really notice the premium pricing. Somehow I always seem to find pretty good rates with Hertz (see above), particularly with a USAA CDP.

SLC didn't have any return agents at 10pm (but I don't think they did a year ago either) so I dropped the keys/contract in the box, and of course they tried charging me $75+ for fuel even though I filled the tank, but an email via the website sorted it out no problem.

But if things do get worse, I guess my question is -- how are the loyalty programs with Avis, National or Budget? I get great value from Hertz's free rental certificates and the Manhattan Gold program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.