Wiki Posts
Search

Transportation and Facilities Fee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Transportation and Facilities Fee

I was going to rent at SFO this weekend. Staying at South San Francisco Embassy Suites with Sunday return. The HLE there doesn't permit drops so I checked airport. $56.74 base for two days, then you add the usual add-ons (8.25% tax, 11.1% fee on airport arrivals, 2.5% CA tourism tax) that you find everywhere. But then there is a $15 Transportation and Facilities Fee. Haven't rented SFO in years but are they kidding? Is that why they don't allow after-hours drops at HLE, so they can nail you for all of these fees at the airport? It's amazing how things are like night and day from one city to another. Last rental in Orlando for Thanksgiving had few fees and they gave me a Toyota RAV upgrade from my full-size reservation.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's not a hertz thing, it's the standard "Non Resident Tax" many localities do to raise money without raising taxes for the people who voted them into office. No matter who you rent from there they will charge you.

Need a new stadium? Tax the tourists.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
I should have specifically pointed out the $15 transportation fee. That is the straw that broke the camel's back. Looks like they all do it at SFO; one started it so they all jumped in. The other taxes, etc., are expected. I'm #1 Gold and was ready to take the BART downtown and rent HLE (their HLE locations outside downtown don't operate Sunday, not one of them) until I saw that Avis South San Francisco local office open until 1300 Sunday. So I guess I'll try Avis this time.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The transportation fee is not an option, I don't believe the rental agencies have any choice. It's airport imposed to pay for the busses to the car rental center (now to defray the costs of the train).

It's got nothing to do with the agencies, it's a pass through to the airport.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
The $15 fee is to pay for that annoying light rail that takes you from the terminal to the consolidated rental facility. Talk about a rip off!

It won't help you this time given the Sunday return, but the South SF HLE dropped me *at* he rental car facility when I returned a car there last fall. Almost as good as renting at the airport, but 75% less!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Got hit yesterday--An Explanation

Here's an explanation of this fee: http://blog.sfgate.com/dgreenberg/20...arging-20-fee/
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Emerald Club, Hhonors, Rapid rewards
Interesting article, thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
$16 now: https://sfoconnect.com/sites/default...%20FY19-20.pdf (page 12)
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Known mandatory fees should be included in the base price or at the very least reflected when the initial price is shown.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Known mandatory fees should be included in the base price or at the very least reflected when the initial price is shown.
They are - depemding on the legal requirements for the country of the site

Hertz AU and UK both display rates up front inclusive of all taxes/charges

In the US where the consumer protections seem to be dismal, companies can get away without quoting taxes and charges. This is something that needs addressing wth politicians - it is the local and country legal provisions that allow quoting pretend prices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.